"Less aggressive" flat pedals

NickGM

I recently bought a bike for my other half and she likes to ride with flat pedals. I have 2 great pairs of nukeproofs at home, but they are a bit too hardcore for any shoes that she has. The grub screws will eat up the trainers that she intends to use. We are going to the UK in July so I can pick up some FiveTens then, but want her to be able to ride in the mean time. So I'm looking for some flat pedals that are bit less aggressive, but still reliable. It seems like you either get really robust ones (like shimano saints) or flimsy little plastic things that look like they will snap at the axle. 

Alternatively, she could get better shoes and this is actually first prize. But I can't find FiveTens anywhere and specialized 2FO(something like that) are too expensive. I'm not aware of anything else that is decent. So finding some more relaxed pedals seems like the right interim solution. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

If I recall the only options with less aggressive pins will be plastic pedals which I have seen. The Shimano Saint pins can also be shortened with the washers they come with not sure this will address your concerns though.

I rode with "other shoes" while I saved up for the proper ones .... 

YES, the pins damage the sole of standard shoes.

Some shoes provide a reasonable amount of grip, most dont grip properly .... NOT nice when your feet move on the peddles mid burm !  :eek:

Very few shoes have truly FLAT soles.  The more they curve, the less likely to work with flat peddles.

Have you considered the RC shoes ?  Just looked on the EvoBike site, seems these are now the same price as 2FO's  :wacko:

My 2c .... use the trainers with the flattest soles you have.  Alternatively buy a pair of skating shoes, just try to find the pair with the softest bottom layer, so that the pins can actually grip to the shoe.

PS - always tricky finding shoes for our 8 year old, so we have done a lot of homework on this  .... currently using skating shoes.  He will outgrow it before it perishes on the pins ....

Thanks all, appreciated. I've bought my FiveTens from pinned before, but they have no stock. They do have very similar looking RideConcept shoes though, but that is a heck of a lot of money to pay for a brand that I've not heard about. Anybody used them?

I like the look of the Giant and DMR pedals which could be worn with some hiking shoes. 

I see Addidas now own and make FiveTens, but they're still like hen's teeth over here. 

Taking the pins out of my nukeproofs would essentially turn them into flat, frictionless pieces of metal. Not an option. 

I bought these when I first started out, but I see that Dial'd bikes where I bought them from have shut up shop and I can't seem to find them online anywhere else. And they were only R200 at the time.

Trail Tech Cycles stock Dartmoor stuff, but I see no pedals.

Edited by bertusras

Thanks all, appreciated. I've bought my FiveTens from pinned before, but they have no stock. They do have very similar looking RideConcept shoes though, but that is a heck of a lot of money to pay for a brand that I've not heard about. Anybody used them?

I like the look of the Giant and DMR pedals which could be worn with some hiking shoes. 

I see Addidas now own and make FiveTens, but they're still like hen's teeth over here. 

Taking the pins out of my nukeproofs would essentially turn them into flat, frictionless pieces of metal. Not an option. 

Have a chat to Victoria at #RideLikeAGirl mtb skills - they do punt the RideConcept shoes and I know they used to ride 510s. 

Why not just chat to your local bike shop and see if you can find a set of flats they take off new bikes - usually they are plastic and cheap - but they will work for a while with ordinary shoes

Cheap tennis shoes, Mr Price Sport.

Cheapest option right here.

I recall filling my pedals to make them sharper. Shoes lasted a month and gone...

Edited by BMXER

Try Vans shoes,they have nice flat soles and good grip. My kids and just about all the kids who race bmx run Vans shoes. My kids bikes have Shimano Saint pedals and they have great grip with Vans and the sole lasts. I get the shoes from Tekkkie Town