Bike Carrier vs Tailgate blanket

T_Boss

What is the general opinion here regarding the use of a tailgate blanket for long distance/cross country bike transport? 

I have a few thule roof carriers, and they work really well, but sometimes we use a mates pickup on weekends, and considering getting a tailgate blanket. 

Is this okay to use for long distance transport? just tying the bikes down over the tailgate, or maybe also an extra strap over the saddles? Im sure its fine on tar, but a little worried about vibration on gravel doing damage to paint? any input? 

What is the general opinion here regarding the use of a tailgate blanket for long distance/cross country bike transport? 

I have a few thule roof carriers, and they work really well, but sometimes we use a mates pickup on weekends, and considering getting a tailgate blanket. 

Is this okay to use for long distance transport? just tying the bikes down over the tailgate, or maybe also an extra strap over the saddles? Im sure its fine on tar, but a little worried about vibration on gravel doing damage to paint? any input? 

I have a tailgate protector...they are OK BUT you need to have a chafe blanket underneath and take it off regularly to wash the tailgate and the protector cause dust/dirt inside the will rub the tailgate paint off. You will have to secure the bikes if you going off-road with the bakkie as the front suspension cylinders of a loose heavy bike can dent the tailgate. Otherwise they are extremely convenient. Bear in mind that now you have the entire back of the bakkie filled with bike and not much space for anything else if you got luggage/bags to tote on a long haul. So I reckon the tailgate is convenient for short trips around town and basic shuttling.

Had mixed results, none of my bikes have had damaged paint from my tailgate pad - but a friend's stanchion did get some damage after a 2hour trip. If travelling long distance I'd just make sure everything is clean and where contact is made there is something to stop chafing.

Your bigger issue is that your front wheels will cover your car's number plate - you will be fined for that - I have been twice already. So for longer trips I'll use my Thule racks - locally though I use my pad just because nothing else is as convenient.

Thanks Guys. Will test it out next weekend and provide feedback. Heading out Greyton way.

So would you suggest one of those pep store “dog blankets” underneath the tailgate blanket for extra padding (for both the bike and the bakkie tailgate)

Thanks Guys. Will test it out next weekend and provide feedback. Heading out Greyton way.

So would you suggest one of those pep store “dog blankets” underneath the tailgate blanket for extra padding (for both the bike and the bakkie tailgate)

The Island Style tailgate I have (R1000 online), is fleecy on the side that makes contact with the bakkie - so no need for anything that side.

And as for the bikes, just tie a microfibre cloth to the part of the bike that makes contact with the pad. But like I said - it really is up to you - I have used my pad for about 2 years with 4 different bikes and no damage (obviously my mate had bad luck with his bike). I'm convinced it won't do any damage to my bikes - so I have given up the cloths and so on.

Just the whole covering up of the number plate thing that bothers me on longer trips.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Tailgate works for 3 maybe 4 bikes. If you over crowd it then you likely to have problems. I prefer to use my platform rack for 2 or 3 bikes. If however we doing a trip out for a day or weekend and we have more than 3 bikes, then I hire a trailer, drop a pallet in it and secure the bikes.