Garmin HR monitor faulty

FirstV8

I use a Garmin HR monitor on occasions and lately it gives me a reading "Heart rate too high " and readfs 2oo plus at times . This can be on a flat section or even a down hill when i know my HR is well below 100 . My resting HR is 45 and normal daily is 55 . I have put new a battery in and the fault still persists . Any advice , can it be recalibrated or do i need to buy a new one . 

I use a Garmin HR monitor on occasions and lately it gives me a reading "Heart rate too high " and readfs 2oo plus at times . This can be on a flat section or even a down hill when i know my HR is well below 100 . My resting HR is 45 and normal daily is 55 . I have put new a battery in and the fault still persists . Any advice , can it be recalibrated or do i need to buy a new one .

You can contact garmin, if under warranty it'll be replaced otherwise they will charge a replacement fee which is considerably lower than buying new.

I know the fenix 5x is about 3k for an out of warranty replacement.

Replace the battery, this sometimes happens when the battery is about to die.

What type of HR strap? If the garmin soft/premium one, do a search on the hub about soft strap issues and fixes. You may just need to replace the strap and not tge unit that clips to it.

Replace the battery, this sometimes happens when the battery is about to die.

What type of HR strap? If the garmin soft/premium one, do a search on the hub about soft strap issues and fixes. You may just need to replace the strap and not tge unit that clips to it.

OP already replaced the battery.

I once read somewhere that you sometimes can "reboot" the HR monitor by butting in the battery the wrong way round for a couple of seconds. That information came from a person that worked on the design of the HR monitor, and he also gave an explanation why it can possibly fix errors on the device. If it's already not working, and out of warranty, it's probaly worh a shot.

I once read somewhere that you sometimes can "reboot" the HR monitor by butting in the battery the wrong way round for a couple of seconds. That information came from a person that worked on the design of the HR monitor, and he also gave an explanation why it can possibly fix errors on the device. If it's already not working, and out of warranty, it's probaly worh a shot.

If done thata few times and it seems to work. Mine needs a reboot now. It's a bit of a pain in the arse.. But the other alternative is buying one of those scosche hrm... But they're €80

Is it the soft strap? When last did you pop it into the washing machine? They say you should wash it after 7 uses I think But I wash mine about every 2 weeks or earlier if it starts giving issues. Mine will sometimes take like 10 min till it starts reading properly. I also find that wetting the contact points or my chest first helps a lot. But giving it a wash does wonders.

I have heard the polar replacement plenty times and from guys that have done it, they can't fault it afterwards. I will stick with my washing and wetting routine until it just gets too much of a hassle, then get the polar.

Good advice thanks guys . I have never washed it only wiped it clean with a microfiber cloth . I assume by saying wash it you dont mean putting the whole strap including sensor into water . Surely a good neutral detergent on a damp/wet cloth will get any residue off the strap . Ill also try the reboot ( battery opposite way in ) and try it then . 

Is it the soft strap? When last did you pop it into the washing machine? They say you should wash it after 7 uses I think But I wash mine about every 2 weeks or earlier if it starts giving issues. Mine will sometimes take like 10 min till it starts reading properly. I also find that wetting the contact points or my chest first helps a lot. But giving it a wash does wonders.

I have heard the polar replacement plenty times and from guys that have done it, they can't fault it afterwards. I will stick with my washing and wetting routine until it just gets too much of a hassle, then get the polar.

I have the polar one... Same problems as the Garmin one ...I wash mine (under the shower without soap) after every run. The only thing left for me is the reboot

Good advice thanks guys . I have never washed it only wiped it clean with a microfiber cloth . I assume by saying wash it you dont mean putting the whole strap including sensor into water . Surely a good neutral detergent on a damp/wet cloth will get any residue off the strap . Ill also try the reboot ( battery opposite way in ) and try it then . 

Mine(soft strap) has a little picture on the tab by the joining thing(for lack of a better word). The picture says use 7 times, remove sensor, put in washing machine ans repeat. It is in my locker now, I'll go take a photo.

There’s no way I will throw my HRM strap into a washing machine. Hand wash FTW, once a week, and a rinse after every workout.

Garmin doesn’t recommend using the washing machine either. Hand wash with a small amount of dishwash liquid

1a4d540360ea9f81db5eea0ad85af33e.jpg