Garmin HR monitor faulty

FirstV8

eventually you have a short-circuit between the two sides of the strap causing the malfunction. you can then cut the strap in the middle between the two connector sides.

Have personally had this happen with multiple straps and there is only so much cleaning and washing the strap helps for. As log and the strap is not under massive tension the push on connectors to the module is enough to keep the strap together. Some have however cut the strap and then rejoin it after.

On some straps the actual press on connectors to the module also becomes broken where they sit on the strap and then the short circuit runs through that. the problem is that these straps get saturated in sweat which has salty minerals which easily allows the short to happen and thus does not signal properly.

OR you could buy and slightly modify the much better Polar strap and click the Garmin module to that - and they also go faulty and needs to be cut.  :thumbdown:

Personally I am starting to question the quality of the Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. Purchased a new monitor last year from Navworld and after about 14months use it just suddenly died. Replaced battery, etc but could not get it going again. Decided I am not paying R1399 for another Garmin monitor so ordered a cheap one through Takealot for R550. Been using it for the past 2 months with no issues. So lets see.

Where do people wear theirs? I had a bit of a rub from my activity in the weekend where I normally wear mine (just below the pecks) so I wore it last night just above the nips...I had perfect reading

Ducathlon sells a Ant+/Bluetooth one for R392.

Personally I am starting to question the quality of the Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. Purchased a new monitor last year from Navworld and after about 14months use it just suddenly died. Replaced battery, etc but could not get it going again. Decided I am not paying R1399 for another Garmin monitor so ordered a cheap one through Takealot for R550. Been using it for the past 2 months with no issues. So lets see.

Don't forget to wait 30 seconds

Replacing the Battery on the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor

Garmin's Premium Heart Rate Monitor comes with a user replaceable CR2032 lithium coin cell battery.

To replace the heart rate monitor battery:

1. Unsnap module from strap
  2. Select an appropriate high-quality Phillips screwdriver to remove four small screws (Phillips #0) on back of module  NOTE: Ensure that the screwdriver fits tightly in the recess to avoid damaging screw heads. If purchasing a new screwdriver, purchase a Wiha Tools Phillips Precision Series (Phillips #0, SKU: 26105) screwdriver
  3. Remove cover and battery
  4. Important - Before inserting new battery, wait 30 seconds to allow module to fully discharge
  5. Insert new CR2032 battery with positive "+" terminal facing up
  6. Replace battery door and four screws

After you replace the heart rate monitor battery, you may need to pair your heart rate monitor with the device again. Pairing instructions may vary from device to device. Please refer to your owner's manual for pairing instructions. For additional care instructions, see the Caring for the Heart Rate Monitor guide.

whats this use 7 times then wash thing ?

Mine goes into the shower with me after every ride.

It’s in the instruction manual, something some people think they don’t need to read. Also, from a hygiene perspective, it’s best to wash something that can encourage bad bacteria to grow.

Garmin just suggest to rinse after every workout, and wash after 7 workouts or after every swim (for those with a HRM that allows swimming).

Ducathlon sells a Ant+/Bluetooth one for R392.

cant find the R392 one but gonna buy the R449 one, it has a 2year warranty. So maybe peace of mind for the next 2 years.

Maybe the price have gone up, the price I quote was in December.

cant find the R392 one but gonna buy the R449 one, it has a 2year warranty. So maybe peace of mind for the next 2 years.