Theft at Races

Rush1

This is the second race Banhoek MTB and Tour de PPA where vehicles have been broken into; cars being remote jammed and locks forced open. This in the presence of countless event security, PPA please address before it gets worse !! I was a victim on both occasions, just confirmed 5 total with Durbanville SAPS

What exactly happened?

This is the second race Banhoek MTB and Tour de PPA where vehicles have been broken into; cars being remote jammed and locks forced open. This in the presence of countless event security, PPA please address before it gets worse !! I was a victim on both occasions, just confirmed 5 total with Durbanville SAPS

My SUV had door lock forced and inside of car contents including bike rack taken, funny nothing could be seen as it was in boot section. Not sure about other 4 cars

Copied from the Tour de PPA Thread:

The problem is & they have been caught before that's why I can say this, it is people that walk among us. Its not your typical "skelm looking" person, these special kind blend in with the crowd, unsuspecting, kitted in cycling clothes, etc when you catch these folk & you actually see what they look like and who they are, you'll understand that there is no way you can hold the organizer accountable or the security at the event. To put your mind at ease go to Delvera bike Centre and speak to Meurant Botha about this and he'll tell you all you want to know about this subject how they personally caught these guys at their events.

They broke into my car at Banhoek during the Nissan Trailseeker series, stole almost everything inside (16k worth of valuables). We wrote a letter to Advendurance (they organize the Nissan Trailseeker series) and received a **** reply basically saying it is our fault and they cant help us. He also said the community knows the people that did it and that the community is sorry that it happened and asking if we accept the apology.

BUT the event was a big success according to Advendurance.

They broke into my car at Banhoek during the Nissan Trailseeker series, stole almost everything inside (16k worth of valuables). We wrote a letter to Advendurance (they organize the Nissan Trailseeker series) and received a **** reply basically saying it is our fault and they cant help us. He also said the community knows the people that did it and that the community is sorry that it happened and asking if we accept the apology.

BUT the event was a big success according to Advendurance.

Avendurance are thieves

Couldn't they use display of race number or something similar as a mandatory requirement for access to the parking area?

Sure but then what about spectators, Id cards for everyone (riders, staff and spectators) would be ideal but drive up the entry costs significantly

Aim a bit higher, and rather blame the failing government. While you are looking for "someone" to take responsibility, why not just blame good 'ole Jan?

Crime in SA is a serious statistic, it happens all over, every day. The Police is supposed to be responsible for these types of things. Not the event organiser. 

Take the hit, make sure you have insurance in place, and If you don't want to specify valuables for "out & about", don't carry valuables and leave them unattended.

its difficult for me to comprehend that they broke into my car, steal a car (3 cars down from mine) and rob a lady while she was walking to her car and none of the security guys sees anything. This all happened in the secure parking area.  

its difficult for me to comprehend that they broke into my car, steal a car (3 cars down from mine) and rob a lady while she was walking to her car and none of the security guys sees anything. This all happened in the secure parking area.  

That surrounding areas is damn sus...

How they had 2 security guys for that entire parking area is absurd. There is surely other areas to skim on costs???

Copied from the Tour de PPA Thread:

The problem is & they have been caught before that's why I can say this, it is people that walk among us. Its not your typical "skelm looking" person, these special kind blend in with the crowd, unsuspecting, kitted in cycling clothes, etc when you catch these folk & you actually see what they look like and who they are, you'll understand that there is no way you can hold the organizer accountable or the security at the event. To put your mind at ease go to Delvera bike Centre and speak to Meurant Botha about this and he'll tell you all you want to know about this subject how they personally caught these guys at their events.

cant hold them accountable but expect reasonable measures put in place to try an avoid situations... surely as a event organizer, you understand these types of dynamics in the areas you hosting events.  

unfortunately this happens everywhere in SA. Thanks to the cANCer government for rampant crime.

Yes, event organisers can put measures in place to minimise crime but it will still happen. I think we need to take pro-active and preventative measures as well i.e. do not leave anything in your car if you can. 

Edited by Mokgaga