How often do you use your lockouts?

Butterbean

So I keep seeing a big selling poing of both new and used bikes is the remote lockout...

Now, I've had a hardtail with remote lockout. I've had one with no remote. I ride a dual sus anthem with no remotes.

The thing is, how often do you really use your remote lockouts? How often do you lock out at all? I've found even when riding on the road, I generally leave my dual sus open all the time, and the only time I play with the switch is when I've just cleaned the bike and it moved while being wiped...

Am I maybe not locking out enough and losing massive amounts of time? Or is it just a nice to have but nowhere near a need to have?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. It feels as if the fork absorbs a lot of energy when unlocked so I fiddle with it all the time. Road only though. Granted, it might bave more to do with my generally poor pedalling technique.

I wish it was a crown mounted lockout to get the extra lever off of my bars though. I certainly don't use it with enough frequency to justify having it within thumb-reach.

No remote lockout, but I flick the climb switch on my shock at the bottom of each climb. It's not a lockout, just a "pedal" mode (almost closes teh rebound and compression oil valves instead of just the compression valves) and flick it back to OPEN when I'm on my way down. Never on the fork. 

Don't bother with mine at all, not even on the bits of tar to and from the trails ... Thaba is about 8k's from my house.

I don't bother with locking out my suspension. I have a BMC Fourstroke and the suspension is pretty efficient. If I did long fire road climbs I'd probably want to lock it out.

I actually removed the lever on my rear shock because of having accidentally locked it out while carrying the bike.

Edited by Jacquers

Use mine allot, especially when you need to sprint at high speed, whether it is gravel or tar. Dont use it much going uphill, im not fast enough for the effect to make a difference lol. I use it uphills though when you need to stand and use leg power instead of cadence, those hills where its best to rather just get it over with instead of staying in granny gear for ages, makes a massive difference. 

I don't bother anymore...forgetting to lock out your shock/fork going up is way more forgiving than forgetting to open it on the way down ;)

same here. Also, I don't notice a difference either when I'm climbing.

I used it all the time, selectively between front and rear. I had the front lock out of my lefty modified to deliver a firm compression tune for climbing and out of the saddle pedalling but still able to absorb the trail. I sometimes forget it's in this mode (travel limited to 50mm).

Ill have the rear modified at the next service

Never lock the fork out - flick the shock into it's middle setting when climbing - when I remember. But I reckon that it's just a lever connected to climb mode setting in my brain rather than the shock.