How often do you use your lockouts?

Butterbean

I don't have a remote switch on my old giant xtc but I manually lockout or just adjust to a firmer setting   when climbing trails and unlock on the downhills,for a more efficient ride,

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a short, steep piece of trail that I like to hit at maximum attack and for that I lock the rear of my Camber, front stays open as it's pretty rutted there.

The same goes for the drag up Silver Lakes road as it's just more efficient. Other than that I leave everything open and enjoy the plushness and traction. 

The only lockout I know is the one I get when I come home at 3am.

better than coming home early and being unlocked and saggy ..... at least with the lockout you have a rigid ride.

I used my Scott Twinloc all the time, mostly riding in the traction mode. But this may have been due to the marketing side of things where they said it improves efficiency so that aspect was always on my mind. 

My new bike has no remote lockout and to be honest I dont really miss it. The bars are less cluttered and I actually use my dropper more because the remote lockout isnt in the way. 

I now occasionally put the rear shock on pedal mode if I remember but mostly ride it on unlock mode but that is mainly due to the  mission of reaching down to switch it. I have on occasion forgot that it's in pedal mode and hit a down hill and by then it's too late to be fiddling. That's where the remote lockout lever on the Scott was great. The new bike's fork doesnt have a lockout option either so now it's just focus on riding.

Edited by stevieg8

Generally, among most of my friends, we tend to mock and belittle users of lockouts.

The only lockout I ever had was on my 26in singlespeed hardtail. It just happened to come with the fork I bought for the build. I was mercilessly derided for having that ugly switch on my otherwise clean SS handlebar.

Somewhere along our 2 week long roadtrip to and from SSWC 2012 (5 MTB nuts in a van for 2 weeks with few showers and much beer) I happened to crash my bike. It was while on ANOTHER epic 5/6/7 hour SS mission in the remote Transkei and we hadn't stopped for boiled (soft) potatoes or (HARD) eggs in hours and as a result I wasn't quite myself. In the eventful yet utterly stupid crash, I smacked my knee hard against said remote, completely destroying it and cutting my knee open (there is incriminating video evidence somewhere I believe)

This was promptly followed by "karma" "that's what you get!" and an unexpectedly touching "trust us, this might hurt now, but one day you'll be grateful this happened" 

I've since learned that a TRUE mountain biker does not need silly gimmicks like 'lockout'...pffft

On my old 29er hardtail, I had a fairly basic Rockshox fork and found it used to bounce quite a lot on climbs so I used the lock out all the time...

Upgraded to a Scalpel and now found I never lock out the front. Only time I lock out the rear is when climbing on a smooth surface, but on a rough climb the comfort and traction from rear shock trumps any loss of power.  I flip to fully open when descending all the time though... Would gladly trade the remote lock out that I have on the front (and never use) for one on the rear...

Then of course there was my old Scott Genius with it's crazy complicated pull shock on the rear and a Marzocchi fork with their ETA system that kept the fork compressed so shortened the travel and steepened the head angle when you climbed. You could spent more time changing suspension settings than gears on that bike!  :lol:

Generally, among most of my friends, we tend to mock and belittle users of lockouts.

The only lockout I ever had was on my 26in singlespeed hardtail. It just happened to come with the fork I bought for the build. I was mercilessly derided for having that ugly switch on my otherwise clean SS handlebar.

Somewhere along our 2 week long roadtrip to and from SSWC 2012 (5 MTB nuts in a van for 2 weeks with few showers and much beer) I happened to crash my bike. It was while on ANOTHER epic 5/6/7 hour SS mission in the remote Transkei and we hadn't stopped for boiled (soft) potatoes or (HARD) eggs in hours and as a result I wasn't quite myself. In the eventful yet utterly stupid crash, I smacked my knee hard against said remote, completely destroying it and cutting my knee open (there is incriminating video evidence somewhere I believe)

This was promptly followed by "karma" "that's what you get!" and an unexpectedly touching "trust us, this might hurt now, but one day you'll be grateful this happened" 

I've since learned that a TRUE mountain biker does not need silly gimmicks like 'lockout'...pffft

get thee to a nunnery .....LOL

Didn't you used to have the zootiest Ellsworth in town? Fox froks with lock out multiple compression settings etc etc etc

If set up correctly the system works perfectly every time ..........................

You either love or hate Spaz brain system. I'm on the hate side. The lag in response to small bumps is very noticeable compared to non brain shocks/forks.

You either love or hate Spaz brain system. I'm on the hate side. The lag in response to small bumps is very noticeable compared to non brain shocks/forks.

Each to his own but after setting up correctly you will not even notice .

Each to his own but after setting up correctly you will not even notice .

You do notice it, even propperly set up. It's very effevtive, I am not gonna dispute that. But it has a distinctly different feel to a normal shock. If it didn't have a different feel it would not be different, and therefore redundent.

But for me, the way my bike's suspension responds to terain is more important than saving every last watt and being as effective as possible - that's why I am not a fan, not because I think it doesn't work.

PS, I have owned and ridden brain equiped bikes.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

My dual susp has a remote lockout for the fork, but not for the rear shock.  I regularly use it, but I would not miss it if I didn't have it.