How often do you use your lockouts?

Butterbean

get thee to a nunnery .....LOL

Didn't you used to have the zootiest Ellsworth in town? Fox froks with lock out multiple compression settings etc etc etc

Not an Ellsworth, but a zooty FS nonetheless.

I've never actually used lockouts. I did for a while on the above mentioned SS, but never on other bikes, especially FS bikes because back in the day they didn't have lockout and it just felt weird locking out the fork and not being able to do the same on the rear suspension.

These days I ride a 140mm travel trail hardtail with no lockout. Even if the fork had it, I wouldn't use it. I derive great pleasure from hammering up climbs out of the saddle and trying to limit the movement in the fork with correct technique. It's quite a rewarding exercise. I haven't measured, but I would be seriously surprised if my 140mm softly set up fork moves more than 5-10mm. This is not bragging. It really is quite easy.

I do realise most people probably think it's ridiculous to want to do this when there is a switch that can do it for you and do it better. To each their own. They're PDK/DSG wannabe (or pretend to be?) racers while I'm a manual gearbox kind of guy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an Ellsworth, but a zooty FS nonetheless.

I've never actually used lockouts. I did for a while on the above mentioned SS, but never on other bikes, especially FS bikes because back in the day they didn't have lockout and it just felt weird locking out the fork and not being able to do the same on the rear suspension.

These days I ride a 140mm travel trail hardtail with no lockout. Even if the fork had it, I wouldn't use it. I derive great pleasure from hammering up climbs out of the saddle and trying to limit the movement in the fork with correct technique. It's quite a rewarding exercise. I haven't measured, but I would be seriously surprised if my 140mm softly set up fork moves more than 5-10mm. This is not bragging. It really is quite easy.

I do realise most people probably think it's ridiculous to want to do this when there is a switch that can do it for you and do it better. To each their own. They're PDK/DSG wannabe (or pretend to be?) racers while I'm a manual gearbox kind of guy.

I tend to agree with you ... my previous hardtail with a 160mm fork (Mine is/was bigger than yours, so I am bragging) used to be the same ... never locked the damned thing out

Giant Trance Advanced - In all situations - Middle setting on in rear and front WIDE open, excl Technical downhill sections where both wide open.

Noooooo.....  :eek: 

Had the DSG ... got rid of it !!!  :thumbdown:  Might work on a track ... cr@p for day to day traffic ....

Lock-out, now there is some technology worth TRYING out before listening to the grumpy old farts ....

Giant Trance Advanced - In all situations - Middle setting on in rear and front WIDE open, excl Technical downhill sections where both wide open.

Ditto

Well on my HT I only flicked it on tar to race a green light. Now I have a little more of a beasty in comparison so might be reaching for the twin lock a bit more. Will have my first ride on her this weekend so will report back ????

I just hate the way the bike changes in the corners between lockout and not locked out. Often I leave it half locked and end up with understeer, or forget it is open and nearly high side it.

Scott Spark RC is a lot more lively than my last bike though

Noooooo.....  :eek: 

Had the DSG ... got rid of it !!!  :thumbdown:  Might work on a track ... cr@p for day to day traffic ....

Lock-out, now there is some technology worth TRYING out before listening to the grumpy old farts ....

Which DSG did you have? The latest version is wet clutch and based on the PDK design

its brilliant in traffic, on the track and robot to robot

Edited by DieselnDust

I just hate the way the bike changes in the corners between lockout and not locked out. Often I leave it half locked and end up with understeer, or forget it is open and nearly high side it.

Scott Spark RC is a lot more lively than my last bike though

yo must be talking about the Epic with Brain.....

My bike's default as per factory build is "normally locked". Bike is two way only, not three way. The lock makes a big difference on climbs. The unlock makes a big difference on downhills, corrugations etc. So I unlock and lock a lot using the remote on the handlebars. 

yo must be talking about the Epic with Brain.....

No more when my brain is not switched on and I forget where my lockout is and hit a corner locked out or fully open expecting it the other way around.

I don't like the idea of the brain suspension- suspension is supposed to be predictable, good suspension allows you to know exactly how a bike reacts to a bump, jump and corner, add a brain in and it is making it's own decisions and you lose that predictability to a certain extent.

That is before you get me going on lefty's.

Which DSG did you have? The latest version is wet clutch and based on the PDK design

its brilliant in traffic, on the track and robot to robot

2018 VW Jetta.

The DSG is certainly good when when you "put foot" ...  :whistling:

Heavy city traffic it would be going for a downshift when the gap in the traffic opens, those types of niggly issues.

Add in the stop-start and it was a downright pain in city traffic.  Due to my work I often spend a few hours per day in traffic .... 

as for lock-outs and riders blaming the system for their inability to keep track of what the RIDER selected ...  :wacko:   :ph34r: .... Surely the gears aint bad it the rider dont know when to use which ....

LOCK on TAR .... mid setting for gravel .... OPEN when you enter the trail.  And if you want to use the lock while climbing, then just remember to turn it off at the top ....

2018 VW Jetta.

The DSG is certainly good when when you "put foot" ...  :whistling:

Heavy city traffic it would be going for a downshift when the gap in the traffic opens, those types of niggly issues.

Add in the stop-start and it was a downright pain in city traffic.  Due to my work I often spend a few hours per day in traffic .... 

as for lock-outs and riders blaming the system for their inability to keep track of what the RIDER selected ...  :wacko:   :ph34r: .... Surely the gears aint bad it the rider dont know when to use which ....

LOCK on TAR .... mid setting for gravel .... OPEN when you enter the trail.  And if you want to use the lock while climbing, then just remember to turn it off at the top ....

2018 Jetta, is that the 1.4 110Kw with 7 speed box?

I see DSG and all I can think is 'A girl school in Grahamstown with the ugliest uniforms in the world'....

Where on earth did they find that shade of green?!

Sorry, flash backs. As you were....