Wheel Build

Amelia Enslin

Hi Guys/and Gals

Id like to pick some professionals brains....i have a Trek Roscoe 7 (Plus size) bike, which I love! I love the plus tyres, but i must admit on longer rides i start feeling the added weight of the heavier wheelset.

As I hope some of you know, the wheelset consist out of the following components:

Front hub Formula DC511, Boost110

Rear hub Formula DC2241, Boost141

Rims Bontrager Line 40 28-hole Tubeless Ready, 42mm width   Now my question is, can I use a normal 29 rim, 28 hole and put the hubs, both front & back on it? The bike can take a 29er. Will it work?   

You can, you'll probably need to replace spokes as well though.

As a potentially easier option you can buy a Lyne Boost wheelset for R 6k that will end up being quite a bit lighter than using the Formula hubs, and probably end up costing you about the same while still keeping your existing wheelset either for resale or if you feel like swapping between plus and standard.

The Roscoe 7 is a pretty heavy bike in general.

You can use 29er rims but you'll need to change spokes and get narrower tyres.

And what size tires do i need to put n it, as i want to go to 2.25"

You can, you'll probably need to replace spokes as well though.

As a potentially easier option you can buy a Lyne Boost wheelset for R 6k that will end up being quite a bit lighter than using the Formula hubs, and probably end up costing you about the same while still keeping your existing wheelset either for resale or if you feel like swapping between plus and standard.

And what size tires do i need to put n it, as i want to go to 2.25"

If you get the Lyne Amp wheelset you will be able to use anything from 2.1 to 2.6 tyres quite comfortably.

That would also be my suggestion. I have a 27.5 plus wheelset and a 29 "normal" wheelset for my hardtail. The different wheels gives the bike a completely different feel, so it's nice to have both. Either way, it will end up costing you about the same to just buy a complete wheelset as it would to replace the rims and spokes and do a rebuild. But by buying a complete wheelset you can either have two wheelsets, or sell the 27.5 plus wheelset and make a bit of money back.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Hi there

Thanx for the advise, do you feel any weight difference with the 2 wheelsets, just afraid of spending so much cash then there is not much weight to spare at the end of the day.

If you get the Lyne Amp wheelset you will be able to use anything from 2.1 to 2.6 tyres quite comfortably.

That would also be my suggestion. I have a 27.5 plus wheelset and a 29 "normal" wheelset for my hardtail. The different wheels gives the bike a completely different feel, so it's nice to have both. Either way, it will end up costing you about the same to just buy a complete wheelset as it would to replace the rims and spokes and do a rebuild. But by buying a complete wheelset you can either have two wheelsets, or sell the 27.5 plus wheelset and make a bit of money back.

If you go for a new wheelset, have a look at the Rapide wheels as well, I just got a set for my bike, my choice was between Rapide and Lyne, I went with the Rapide wheels because they are a little lighter nd fair bit cheaper, all in for my wheels was just a smidge over R5k, and the wheels feel really good compared to my old wheels

Just be aware that the Roscoe has a weird sized rear hub if you're looking at buying new wheels, it's Boost 141 if I remember correctly.

Hi there

Thanx for the advise, do you feel any weight difference with the 2 wheelsets, just afraid of spending so much cash then there is not much weight to spare at the end of the day.

There is going to be a weight difference, but your biggest weight saving is actually going to come from using normal sized tyres than plus sized tyres. There may not be a massive difference in the rims/spokes/hubs alone, but your overall system is going to be much lighter.

Just be aware that the Roscoe has a weird sized rear hub if you're looking at buying new wheels, it's Boost 141 if I remember correctly.

Ooh ja, that's a bit of a spanner in the works. This means you will have to re-use your current rear hub. No-one makes boost 141 hubs except Trek as far as I know.

Ooh ja, that's a bit of a spanner in the works. This means you will have to re-use your current rear hub. No-one makes boost 141 hubs except Trek as far as I know.

What about just putting 2.35" tires on the existing wheelset?

Your existing rims are too wide for narrow tyres - you will find the profile of the tyre to be very square, and the sidewalls exposed. The tyres will probably not stay seated on the rim.

Even if they did seat propperly, the overall smaller diameter of the wheel will mean that your bottom bracker will be lower, which means more pedal srikes.

Not something I would try...

Maybe give your trek dealer a call and see if they have a complete wheelset option that will work for you?

As far as I understand, Boost 141 is Boost 148 with quick release endcaps. I was looking at buying a Roscoe frame some time ago, and wanted to transfer my current wheels so I did do some research. Unfortunately my current wheels were non-boost spacing so the guys at Rapide couldn't help me out. 

However, quickly having a look at the website, their 148 Boost hubs are 141 Boost QR compatible. Perhaps give them a shout, maybe they can help you out with a wheelset. I have a set of 29" 30mm wides from them and I am very, very happy with the product.

Edited by bertusras

Check with Lyne as well - Boost 141 is just a boost hub with QR end caps.

And rather 2.35" tyres than 2.25". Lower pressures, more traction, no losses in rolling resistance - just an extra 50g or so per wheel.

You'll definitely notice a difference in weight and rolling resistance between 27+ and 29, the wheels you have on there are heavy and the tyres will be too.