Declining fitness leading up to a "race"

The Ouzo

Since the end of Jan for various reasons from health to weather I have not ridden as much as I normally do and as much as I'd like to, the result being the at intervals.icu shows a steady decline in my fitness of 10 points.

How worried should I be going into next weeks Fun Ride World Champs ?

I've put in the effort over the last 12-18months, was really hoping to be in peak form and hit a PB next week, will a momentary drop be a huge problem ?

I'll put in 1 maybe 2 rides this weekend as my last rides before FRWC, neither of them are planned as big effort rides, but if that is what is needed then I'll do it. On Sunday the bike gets dropped off to be transported to the Cape, so no more riding even if I did find the time.

I would say you are about to do a PB because you'll be properly rested. Do some short rides to loosen the legs up and get muscle memory flowing.

I guess not feeling that tightness in the legs makes me uneasy.

I'm sucking those wheels hard.

but only until Fish hoek, I'm doing a quick pit stop there to say hello to my girls, its their first time seeing dad ride a race. Got to stop  and give them a sweaty hug.

Ahh that's too cool man. That alone is worth missing out on a PB. But you will be so motivated to see them you will fly up till then. and after you have seen them you will just want to TT to the finish to see them again. PB here we come.

Ja but if you have the training in the bank the rest will just consolidate that training. The CTL value that shows your declining fitness is a rolling 40 day average of your training stress score so the declining fitness is a bit of a misnomer and will be offset by declining fatigue and increasing form.

Just keep your legs alive with some high cadence spinning and short rides and enjoy the freshness on the day.

I guess not feeling that tightness in the legs makes me uneasy.

rather go by feel... as its different for everyone.

I ride better with some fatigue in the legs, too much rest and they go stale and heavy.

Shorter rides with more intensity should do the trick.

I'm sucking those wheels hard.

but only until Fish hoek, I'm doing a quick pit stop there to say hello to my girls, its their first time seeing dad ride a race. Got to stop  and give them a sweaty hug.

We will stop and say hi to family again this year in Noordhoek.

Also a good opportunity to have a cold beer before hitting chappies.

Funny enough, read article about this last night while looking for something else...  bit of a read but some insight into time before loosing fitness etc

https://www.wattkg.com/cycling-science/

thanks, was a long read, but worth it.

3 things I took from it, 1) Consistency, for the first time ever I trained right through winter.

2) Increased training

3) rest

So maybe its not all bad. will do my planned rides this weekend and hope for the best at CTCT.

I think most 'athletes' in SA are over trained. 

Social sportsing is a very serious affair here and a lot of the sportsers often regard more as being better.

The thought of a rest week in between 3 week blocks for most people is madness.

Don't stress. You are riding for a solid mid pack field. Getting anxious about CTCT from anywhere but the top groups is not worth it.

That energy is better spent on race day.

If you've been consistent you will smash it. I hadn't run in over a month, not a step, and I managed to strap my shoes on and run a very comfortable Peninsula Marathon. Pretty sure CTCT is easier to get done and get done well if you've built solid foundations.

Most triathletes training for a full ironman distance will start tapering 3 weeks before the race. They will often loose 10-20 CTL in that time. Look at your training stress balance. Think it is called Form on intervals.icu

As others have said between now and race day, short interval workouts for both fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and see if you can keep your form below +20 on race day. This will mean your training load will have dropped but more exponentially the fatigue where as your form (known as fitness will have increased). I aim for around +15 Form come race day to know i will have a good race.

So don't stress about the numbers, just look at the relationship between the various charts and numbers

Whilst intervals.icu uses slightly different terminology due to registered trademarks, the fitness chart is the same as trainingpeaks PMC chart and the fitness (CTL), fatigue (ATL) and form (TSB) are the same. This article will give you more insight not to chase the fitness numbers but look at the form in relation to it come race day https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/managing-your-training-stress-balance/

Edited by shaper

Don't underestimate short 30-45 minute rides just for leg speed, training your mind and revving the engine.

Taper doesn't mean STOP.

"Taper doesn't mean STOP" that's gold right there! Hope you don't mind if I steal that ....