Cycling from JHB to CT

baldy

Hello All

On my bucket list is cycling from Jhb to Ct before I get to old.I am 61.I am retired thus time is not an issue.

I dont wana race just do a fairly easy ride,I have been cycling for the last 20 years but have no experience in long distance touring.Mayby 100km per day ? Combine camping and B&B ?

Are there anyone interested in joining me/advising me?

Tks

I would go- Frankfort, Reitz, Bethlehem, Bergville Winterton, Mooi River, Howick, PMB. 

Time it cleverly that you arrive in PMB 14June, then jump on this little trail called the freedom challenge, they will sort the route from there for you...

Well I'm hoping to do the same trip in a month or two so can share my thoughts of route choices etc, if you wish?

PM me!

Hello All

On my bucket list is cycling from Jhb to Ct before I get to old.I am 61.I am retired thus time is not an issue.

I dont wana race just do a fairly easy ride,I have been cycling for the last 20 years but have no experience in long distance touring.Mayby 100km per day ? Combine camping and B&B ?

Tks

Where do I get ur nbr ?

Well I'm hoping to do the same trip in a month or two so can share my thoughts of route choices etc, if you wish?

PM me!

I would go- Frankfort, Reitz, Bethlehem, Bergville Winterton, Mooi River, Howick, PMB. 

Time it cleverly that you arrive in PMB 14June, then jump on this little trail called the freedom challenge, they will sort the route from there for you...

No. No. No.

Avoid MOOI RIVER.

Those Okes Steel Bicycles

Hello All

Tks

Drop me a pm and I will send you gps tracks of the route we follow when we do it if you would like them.

yea I was wondering why, when someone asked for JHB to CPT advice, get detoured via KZN LOL. 

Because straight routes from JHB to CT is k****

Hence my suggestion -

Think about it if you plan it cleverly you can include Golden Gate National Park. View the Amphitheatre of the Drakensberg. Enjoy the rolling hills of the KZN midlands and a Tipsy Tiger or Pickled Pig at Notties Brewery. Arriving in PMB you can take a day to sample Cascades mtb routes. Then you jump onto the Freedom challenge route which should need no introduction...

The Race to Rhodes section is epic with an incredible climb back up the escarpment after tackling the mighty Umko valley and Hela Hela. Then you get to witness the best of the Eastern Cape.  A trip through Mordor and the stunning Baviaans kloof before heading through to the Western Cape and the epic sections like Stettynskloof.

Can you think of anything more boring than bombing along parallel to the N1 all the way to Cape town. Because everyone who drives that route really sees it as an epic route with spectacular scenery. 

I have cycled to Durban from GP, it is boring, so if you going to do a long ride, make sure you include the epic bits so that it is at least a memorable route