UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

THIS ^^

Long long ago there was a unique brand with top class advertising, and that WON races.  And all the golfers just HAD to buy this very Spezial bike ....  Add a few years, and LOTS of marketing, and a good few more wins, and their bikes certainly are good, but every accountant now rides a Spez .... the real dentists NEEDS something unique, and ideally something with WINNING credentials ....

Sure, not like Spez is about to see an immediate and drastic drop in sales .... more like we may be able to identify the dentists on the trails by the new breed of bikes onto our trails ....

Oh no, not the dentists bike... its the asset managers and tenderpreneurs who can afford those things, not dentists.

BTW I think Spaz does well because of their dealer network and warranty response. They probably beat any other brand on service hands down, especially in SA. They also generally make pretty good bikes. Their latest stuff from the Epic on up (in travel)  is superb.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw in a pinkbike article that Catherine Pendrel had a baby 15 weeks ago....and cruised into 23rd position on Sunday....what the actual hell. That is pretty damn impressive

32 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Oh no, not the dentists bike... its the asset managers and tenderpreneurs who can afford those things, not dentists.

BTW I think Spaz does well because of their dealer network and warranty response. They probably beat any other brand on service hands down, especially in SA. They also generally make pretty good bikes. Their latest stuff from the Epic on up (in travel)  is superb.

correction, from the Epic Evo up is superb. The "brain" bikes...no thanks

21 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Just saw in a pinkbike article that Catherine Pendrel had a baby 15 weeks ago....and cruised into 23rd position on Sunday....what the actual hell. That is pretty damn impressive

Just shows, a new mom will do anything to get some time to herself

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

correction, from the Epic Evo up is superb. The "brain" bikes...no thanks

Ya, I've only ridden one once, the old Evo, that has a brain and it felt like something was loose. 

So it appears that Pidcock is running some fancy pants electronically controlled suspension valving in his SR Suntour forks and rear suspension unit. Italian company Hiride worked with Pinarello on the K-8s suspension version of the Dogma for Paris-Roubaix a few years back Looks like the tech has resurfaced on Pidcock's not BMC....http://hiride.bike/mountain/

Oh the wheels are confirmed as Syncros Silverton SLC and the Bars are Scott Frasier. A real mix mash of parts.

Edited by DieselnDust

19 hours ago, Stretch said:

Takes me back to that scary “female blood doping” saga where it was being reported that female athletes would fall pregnant and then abort because of the increased red blood cells and physical increase in heart size benefits it produced. The dark side of our sport. 

Absolutely nothing to do with your comment on Catherine as I’ve followed her story online and think she’s a superstar. But it did resurface old news. M

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

So it appears that Pidcock is running some fancy pants electronically controlled suspension valving in his SR Suntour forks and rear suspension unit. Italian company Hiride worked with Pinarello on the K-8s suspension version of the Dogma for Paris-Roubaix a few years back Looks like the tech has resurfaced on Pidcock's not BMC....http://hiride.bike/mountain/

Oh the wheels are confirmed as Syncros Silverton SLC and the Bars are Scott Frasier. A real mix mash of parts.

Would be awesome if some of the publications do an indept review of his bike.

Those thick spokes and hub flanges put me onto to Syncross.

Just love the tech and detail to minor parts.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:12 AM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Insane money - I like to  ask though - but if you think of a high end trek spaz or Scott, not that far off ...my life and lifestyle has changed so unless Massi are keen to sponsor and get coverage at the back of the local kerkfees 50km, not gonna happen 

I’m with you on the “life/lifestyle has changed, and not gonna happen” situation. 

23 hours ago, dsw said:

One reason for the lack of world class XCO racers in England is that British cycling spends much more money on the development of track cyclists as it offers them a much better return on investment in terms of medals at the Olympics. Something like 12 out of the 22 cycling events at the Olympics take place on the track. 

Yes they have been quiet successful in that, converting funding into Olympic medals, and it's been via the track. A lot if not all successful road cyclists have come via that route as well.  They actually go around to schools and find talented prospects, and put them into the system.

XCO, limited potential medals and seems to be a fringe sport there in the UK,  but there is a junior on his way up, Charlie Aldridge, if you can call (or dare to call) a Scot a a Brit.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/20190830-gb-cyclingteam-news-Charlie-Aldridge-crowned-2019-cross-country-world-champion-0

Also compare to Switzerland, where apparently mtb / xco is a main stream school sport, which explains a lot.

There just is more money in men road cycling. For women I think the gap is a lot closer in that respect

Probably a Pro Cyclocross contract is the next best thing, though would have to relocate to Belguim. Brexit probably a spanner in the works in this regard though.

☺️

On 5/18/2021 at 11:51 PM, DieselnDust said:

As such is the Ineos way ....

On 5/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, DJuice said:

Have search most of these bikes, Massi, MMR, Thomus, Allebike, Protek, Wiawis, Sunn...do not think there is any bargains.

Eur 6000 gets you a very nice bike.

You also can add Megamo to that list.