UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was up with our riders and chains yesterday? Really poor form from the mechanics, a chain should not break, especially not one on their bikes imho.

Felt so bad for Alan, he was doing well.

Tokyo isn't Singapore hey ;) Weather is pretty much the same as in europe or SA. But july august is probably going to be hot though.

Agree for the chain, I only broke a chain once in my life, and it was from re-using a quick link (so not broken). Don't really understand how it can happen at this level. Okay they push more power than us but still...

18 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Tokyo isn't Singapore hey ;) Weather is pretty much the same as in europe or SA. But july august is probably going to be hot though.

Agree for the chain, I only broke a chain once in my life, and it was from re-using a quick link (so not broken). Don't really understand how it can happen at this level. Okay they push more power than us but still...

Moveable parts take a beating, JBR. Chains are designed to withstand the torque from a rider's legs. It's the twists-and-turn forces within the drivetrain, especially the rear, that create issues.

3 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Moveable parts take a beating, JBR. Chains are designed to withstand the torque from a rider's legs. It's the twists-and-turn forces within the drivetrain, especially the rear, that create issues.

I know times are tough, even for the worlds best and their teams but I wonder how often they change their chains? Also, not like Alan rides for a small team working on a budget. 

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Just feel when the racing starts, the other lads always have another level. Flueckiger and Cink off, Lap 3/6. Alan 7th. Mate tells me you add Pidcock and MvdP to that he's ninth. Avancini he's tenth. Or is he being too harsh? ????

Well he has been beating Avancini as of late.

53 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

What was up with our riders and chains yesterday? Really poor form from the mechanics, a chain should not break, especially not one on their bikes imho.

Felt so bad for Alan, he was doing well.

Wonder if Rob did not fiddle with all the SA riders bikes .... 2 x in the XCO and then Greg's brake in the DH ....... (Enter X-Files theme tchjune)

July/August in Tokyo/most of Japan is seriously hot and very humid (90%+)- athletes are going to suffer! 

Edited by kosmonooit
typos

Lecomte was also fiddling with her shifter a few times then checking the cassette to make sure something was working out back. Mariske broke a derailleur as did Ms. Teocchi. Candice broke a chain at the start of the short track.

These failures were not confined to one brand so it suggests that the nature of the course and bad luck had a lot to do with the failures

Speaking of bad luck, I see that Miss Frizz is also sporting a cast now.
Flipping hardcore to finish in a state like that and then still have to stick around for a podium ceremony.
(She will have to be careful when high fiving Kate Courtney)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQEU33HgRpx/

It's also great to see Jenny back on the block

Your top 5 elite women 1st Loana Lecomte 2nd Jenny Rissveds 3rd Laura Stigger 4th Jolanda Neff 5th Pauline Ferrand Prevot

Edited by splat

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

World cup rugby was in September and the okes were dripping with sweat. I think you underestimate the humidity that comes with living on an island

I read it is apparently quite humid in summer. I went in april and didn't notice any difference

humid in the south. Tokyo is quite temperate, much like Cape Town so it can be humid or it can be much less humid. Northern parts of Japan are covered in snow for much of the year. It land mass stretches from around 34degrees north of the equator to around 53 degrees north. The southern parts of Japan are fed warm moist air from the Philipine Sea and PAcific Ocean wile the north buts up against the Sea of Okhotsk

World Cup Rugby was held all across Japan not just Tokyo but we SAffas tend to call an entire country by its Capital e.g.  Timmy is in London maar Timmy flippen nerens naaby London ie maar in Edinburgh...

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

humid in the south. Tokyo is quite temperate, much like Cape Town so it can be humid or it can be much less humid. Northern parts of Japan are covered in snow for much of the year. It land mass stretches from around 34degrees north of the equator to around 53 degrees north. The southern parts of Japan are fed warm moist air from the Philipine Sea and PAcific Ocean wile the north buts up against the Sea of Okhotsk

World Cup Rugby was held all across Japan not just Tokyo but we SAffas tend to call an entire country by its Capital e.g.  Timmy is in London maar Timmy flippen nerens naaby London ie maar in Edinburgh...

but the olympics are in Tokyo - so why would we worry about the Northern Parts? July is the most Humid month in Tokyo and today the Humidity is 92%..so yes - humidity could very well play a factor in the olypmic games

A rather inauspicious first race for the new Scott bike... wonder if we will see Schurter back on his old bike in France?