Train to Race

Strava Live also great for chasing KOM's...if you're so inclined!

Do you have to load the segments you want to chase to your unit before doing the ride or do they literately pop up when you start one?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about your base.

You are slowing down because oxygen transport to muscle decreases, lactate formation increases and the rate of lactate removal decreases.

Doing adequate base training will improve the structures in your muscles that transport blood (oxygen) to your muscles. Research capillary and mitochondrial density. Areobic.base training doubles the density of these structures in your muscles and teaches your body, at a low intensity, to be more effecient by being able to transport more blood to your muscles during exercise. Effeciency is key to any endurance exercise and is what makes you able to sustain hard efforts.

By going through an adeqaute base phase you've improved the effeciency of your body which translates into direct performance benefits when transitioning into high intensity training. As your body is more effecient in using oxygen and 'fuel' you'll, to put it simply, be able to go harder for longer.

Do you have to load the segments you want to chase to your unit before doing the ride or do they literately pop up when you start one?

I discovered by accident.

I starred a segment on Strava, then the next time I rode that route my Garmin beeped at me and started giving me info about that segment and my PB.

And I've just got a 130edge, nothing fancy, would imagine the higher range garmins do the same or better.

I starred a segment on Strava, then the next time I rode that route my Garmin beeped at me and started giving me info about that segment and my PB.

And I've just got a 130edge, nothing fancy, would imagine the higher range garmins do the same or better.

You need a Strava Permium subscription, have the function activated on your Garmin and add the segments you want to include to your favorites (star the segment, as ouzo said).

Yes, you can load up to 20 segments that you will be riding and want to monitor LIVE.

It does take a little time to do it. Recall a previous ride in Strava and STAR the segments that you want to be actively reminded, while riding.

Polar (unsure about other devices) wont allow you to load DOWNHILL segments on Live (they consider it dangerous! You can star them but they don't appear.)

Once starred go back to your device programme (Polar/ Garmin etc) and UPDATE segments.

Once complete connect your GPS device to your PC or to your cellphone via Wi-Fi and update.

You should now be able to go to Live Segments on you GPS device and check that the segments chosen are there (if not reconnect and update GPS device). Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty straight forward.

Your downhill segments will still be recorded but not on LIVE (Polar).

If you have two separate devices you can load different segments onto your two separate devices.

What's great is that your device will actively show if you are behind or infront of your best time for that segment. 

Enjoy... 

Edited by robbybzgo

On my Sigma ROX 11.0 that supports live strava segments it was a constant battle, I couldn't figure out how to get it to display(I'm not on the FULL Strava premium and that might be the problem).

Wahoo sent me a Elemnt Roam this morning, turned on, linked Strava account, 5 seconds later all my starred segments popped up in a list view on the device to use for live segments. Read up afterwards that on your Strava App or web you only have to star the segments you want for live segments, then Wahoo will sync by itself when in Wifi range.

Think about your base.

You are slowing down because oxygen transport to muscle decreases, lactate formation increases and the rate of lactate removal decreases.

I am no coach or sport scientist but I agree with this 100%. From personal experience over (too many) years 1 hour interval sessions (no matter the intensity) don't help with fatigue on long rides. If you want to be strong at the end of a 3 hour race then do more 3 hour races (like Philip said) and 3 hour+ training rides, there are no shortcuts to endurance.

Do you have strava premium?

On my Sigma ROX 11.0 that supports live strava segments it was a constant battle, I couldn't figure out how to get it to display(I'm not on the FULL Strava premium and that might be the problem).

Wahoo sent me a Elemnt Roam this morning, turned on, linked Strava account, 5 seconds later all my starred segments popped up in a list view on the device to use for live segments. Read up afterwards that on your Strava App or web you only have to star the segments you want for live segments, then Wahoo will sync by itself when in Wifi range.

Life segments are just about the only reason I am on Strava Premium, if there are workarounds around it to get life segments I certainly won't renew my membership.

Have you tested it whether you can chase KOM's, follower's PR's your own PR's?

Life segments are just about the only reason I am on Strava Premium, if there are workarounds around it to get life segments I certainly won't renew my membership.

Have you tested it whether you can chase KOM's, follower's PR's your own PR's?

Will do some proper testing over the next couple of weeks and get back to you!

Thank you for all the feedback and input, you guys are very cool. Appreciate it big time!

Stats

I weigh 77 (was 97 kg's three years ago)

45 years old

Training for 2 years

Eat healthy, no smoking

2020 99er time - 3 hours 3 minutes, E group

Just made D group after Tour De PPA, crossing the line with Billy Goat in 3:20 :)

1 hour fresh FTP 239W

1 hour power toward end of races - 180W :o

I'm going to try a winter training plan as per the suggestions to increase and build the base. That makes good sense as there is a huge drop off in performance towards the end of events. There is also some science supporting leg strengthening during the off season with gym squats etc so will give that a go (some guys replace this with high torque / low cadence rides). Lastly, going to try work towards increasing training from 7-9 hours per week towards 10-12 hours.

Hoping for the best.

Edited by Bikeforlife

I purchased Strava Premium when it was all lumped together. I believe they split premium up into three groups so you have to choose what you want now...(I'm unsure now what they each offer - but one I think is active tracking where someone at home can track your progress while you are riding, others offer more analysis on your rides.)

Back to BikeForLife: 2 years is not a very long period...the guys I ride with have been riding for many, many more years than I and the only reason that I can sometimes hang onto the A group is due to my low weight (67kg) and a great road bike otherwise I'm definitely a B batch rider...but hanging onto the A group is great ...but I know my limits and when I'm blown off the back...I just accept it...but still enjoy the ride. 

BTW, you can also STAR someone else's segments in their ride, in Strava, and then go ride those segments (if you haven't ridden that route yet).