Willier Triestina 503x Race Pro - Opinions?

Vroetelvarkie

Any one have a opinion/review about these hardtails? Looks like a solid bike, with decent groupset? (I have been out of MTB'ing for a few years and now I know nothing anymore, everything changed....)

post-7014-0-91942900-1583151791_thumb.png

post-7014-0-18802700-1583151802_thumb.png

Wilier makes some great road bikes...but it appears that this mtb is a bit old school when it comes to its geometry. 

The head tube angle is steep (even for an XC bike) at 70.5%, where a 2020 Epic is at 68.5%.   The reach is also sorter than on modern bikes.  Modern XC bikes are - generally speaking - longer, lower and slacker than this Wilier.

It depends on what you're going to use the bike for, of course.

Thanks, weekend warrior round Pretoria mostly, odd 60-80km rides, but doing the Sani this year, but dont do much stage racing. So wont go soft tail route...

Oh and I am short, 1.74

Edited by Vroetelvarkie

Thanks, weekend warrior round Pretoria mostly, odd 60-80km rides, but doing the Sani this year, but dont do much stage racing. So wont go soft tail route...

Oh and I am short, 1.74

Go to the local bike shops and ask for a demo bike for a day or two.  I know that lynnwood cycles (the spez shop) has a demo fleet. Try the Spez Epic hardtail, if possible.  Alternatively, try the Chisel, which is cheaper (v. light alu frame) but has the same geometry.

Don't really know the other shops' demo fleets but you're already at asg, so ask them too.  Cycle lab is another option for scott, silverback etc.  Lastly, check out solomon's for titan racing (you may be surprised).

Good luck, and don't let the salesmen force you into buying anything without riding it first. Buying this wilier would be like buying an 2016 alfa...it's pretty and italian but with outdated tech...

Go to the local bike shops and ask for a demo bike for a day or two.  I know that lynnwood cycles (the spez shop) has a demo fleet. Try the Spez Epic hardtail, if possible.  Alternatively, try the Chisel, which is cheaper (v. light alu frame) but has the same geometry.

Don't really know the other shops' demo fleets but you're already at asg, so ask them too.  Cycle lab is another option for scott, silverback etc.  Lastly, check out solomon's for titan racing (you may be surprised).

Good luck, and don't let the salesmen force you into buying anything without riding it first. Buying this wilier would be like buying an 2016 alfa...it's pretty and italian but with outdated tech...

Thanks, I have towed a few Alfa's in my time, so I get that! (Not mine for the record!)

I will definitely go the demo route before I buy, will be easy with asg, and will check the Spez out, thanks for that tip! 

Big sale during March on MERIDA HARD TAILS at Bike Addict - 25%-30% off.

Worth a look.