Ötztaler Rad(Cycle)marathon 2020 - Austria

Ok, the registration entry for my latest 'Sufferfest" is in. The final entry for the Race will be drawn by lot. Approx. 20000 register hoping to get on of the 4000 starting places.

The Race is on the 30th August 2020, starting in Sölden / Austria and covers 238 km with 5500 m Ascent, twice crossing the border between Italy and Austria!

Four mountain passes have to be conquered - Kühtai up to 2040 m,  Brenner 1350 m, Jaufenpass 2100 m and finally Timmelsjoch 2590 m!

Cut-off is approx. 13 1/2 hours and the non-finisher number is normally around 20 - 25%!

For those who want to know more and maybe enter in the future, check the link below!

Enjoy!

https://www.oetztaler-radmarathon.com/home.html

I just bookmarked this one.  Since it is just around the corner from me I should maybe try and do it next year.

I just bookmarked this one.  Since it is just around the corner from me I should maybe try and do it next year.

Registration opens normally on the 1st February and is open the entire month until the end of February. Then you wait for the confirmation e-mail (hopefully).

This year 10 riders from SA are trying for an entry.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the starting places draw took place yesterday and five Saffa's of the original 10 applications have made it and are in, subject to them paying the entry fee by month end!

Now the real training starts.

Now to hope that Coronavirus problem is sorted by then.  As it stands now I can guarantee you it would not continue.  Austria is not allowing non Austrian citizens in from Italy at the moment unless they commit to driving through Austria to German or other countries without stopping anywhere in Austria.

Now to hope that Coronavirus problem is sorted by then.  As it stands now I can guarantee you it would not continue.  Austria is not allowing non Austrian citizens in from Italy at the moment unless they commit to driving through Austria to German or other countries without stopping anywhere in Austria.

I hope so too!

The general consensus in Austria (from a mate of mine there in St. Anton  who has also entered), is that as they enter into spring and summer, the spread of the virus will be curtailed as it does not like the warmer climes and that by late summer the mass hysteria will have died down and the race should take place.

Time will tell! I would hate to do all the training for nothing.

I hope so too!

The general consensus in Austria (from a mate of mine there in St. Anton  who has also entered), is that as they enter into spring and summer, the spread of the virus will be curtailed as it does not like the warmer climes and that by late summer the mass hysteria will have died down and the race should take place.

Time will tell! I would hate to do all the training for nothing.

Small world.  I have family in St. Anton.  Lovely place that.  I am not convinced about the warmer temp theory of the virus.  Virus at the moment is flaring up quite nicely in warm regions like Florida and several countries along the equator and Brisbane.  Time will tell.