Nico Portal passes away at 40

T-Bob

Sad news coming out of Team Ineos HQ regarding the death of former rider and hugely successful DS Nico Portal aged 40. Apparent heart attack at his family home in Andoorra. Such a good DS who has been behind so many of Sky / Ineos success especially in the GTs. Always happy to give a (great) interview and with such a positive and honest demeanor, he almost seemed out of place in the British teams regimented approaches. 

Thoughts and sympathy to his family. Shame man. 

rGRub7Sy9SuxuoRcpFGmkX-650-80.jpg

Edited by T-Bob

"Tour de France legends Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas are in shock after their Team Ineos sporting director Nico Portal died suddenly aged 40.

Frenchman Portal was a strategic architect of Froome's four Yellow Jerseys, Thomas riding to glory in 2018 and Egan Bernal's stunning triumph last year.

He collapsed and died at home in Andorra, from a suspected heart attack, and his sudden passing casts a huge shadow over the team's build-up to Le Tour starting on June 27 in Nice.

The dreadful news was confirmed by Team Ineos in a statement, saying: "It is with the greatest sadness that we announce the passing of our much loved team-mate, colleague and friend Nico Portal who died suddenly this afternoon at his home in Andorra."

Edited by T-Bob

What a shock to read this, always came across so well in the interviews, even in the most difficult situations he had a smile, I think he is going to be greatly missed.

Pretty shell shocked. I knew Nico through the intertwining of family from my homeland and his. I would never say we were close friends but we had spent more than a few long, extended, family lunches over the the years. The kind that only us, the Italians, Spanish and Greeks can do and I'd seen him grow on the same curve as me except he was 4 years younger and had a large pinch of talent that I never did. 

It's used too much for people that don't deserve it but he really was the nicest guy ever. He wasn't arrogant or aggressive as so many people in the industry could be but you could tell he knew what he knew and he was damn good at it. He preferred to talk about family, the world or even you than be drawn on his day job. His curiosity and sense of fun was infectious and after 5 minutes with him you felt like you'd been wasting most of the precious gift that is 24hrs in each day. 

Who knows what the causes were and the legacy hangover in this deeply tainted sport and who cares. A family is without it's papa, a wife is without a husband, parents without a child, friends / team mates without a guiding light and true tactical master of the peloton has left too soon. 

#RIPNico

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Could not believe it when I saw it reported on Sky news. Always enjoyed his inputs when they interviewed him.

Condolences to his family #RIP