Side entry bottle cage that doesn't scratch up bottles??

NeverNotRolling

Currently using a BBB side entry bottle cage which works super well for its function, the problem is that it has completely ruined and scratched up the bottle?

Any side entry bottle cages that don't really do this? Tried the Lyne cage but doesn't work too well with my frame, need a wider side entry.

Edited by Serg

Trick is to clean the cage after every ride. If you are referring to scratches on the bottle.

I have been using this for a while now. its left and right side entry.

DUAL%20SIDE%20CAGE-500x500.JPG

Been wanting to change it for a supacaz, but this works.

Is it possible to get a cage of any kind that doesn't 'destroy' bottles? I'm assuming you mean scratch and make them look shabby as opposed to falling apart ....

In my experience all the cages I have, several different types and 2 different side entry specifically, make new bottles look shabby within the first ride but I've just learnt to live with it. That's road and MTB BTW

Someone has to keep the bottle manufacturers in business. Anyway, I have jet to see any cyclist that does miles have unscratched bottles.

If you are only noticing now it might be that you have only recently started riding propper.

Edited by TDFN

Any cage that hold onto a bottle well, will scratch it over time because friction. But that's a trade that I am willing to make

These two have served me well over the years:

Specialized Zee 

191743_00_d.jpg

Lezyne Flow  

lezyne-flow-cage-sl-right.jpg

Currently using a BBB side entry bottle cage which works super well for its function, the problem is that it has completely ruined and scratched up the bottle?

Any side entry bottle cages that don't really do this? Tried the Lyne cage but doesn't work too well with my frame, need a wider side entry.

Scratched or marked water bottles are a sign of usage

Like Ouman stripes on the back of your shirt.... Be proud of them. Just keep the inside clean.

Anyway, don’t these plastic bottles have a limited life span, something to do with degrading and plastic particles?

I reckon your only solution is to start buying new bottles for every ride. I can't actually remember when last I bought a bottle as I get bottles with just about every race goodie bag. I don't think I will ever run out.

I reckon your only solution is to start buying new bottles for every ride. I can't actually remember when last I bought a bottle as I get bottles with just about every race goodie bag. I don't think I will ever run out.

Do you also have that drawer in the kitchen that can't close properly because of all the bottles? One wrong angle of one bottle in there and when the drawer doesn't close you start swearing softly so your kids cant hear ?

Or is that just me? 

Slightly off topic but still bottle related, so I bought a bottle one of those Iceberg Syncro ones but it's not what I expected, my Cycle Tour 2016 bottle performs better than that, larger volume and doesn't leak when you sip from it. It also doesn't keep the drink cooler? I now throw ice blocks in it to ensure it's colder.

Do you also have that drawer in the kitchen that can't close properly because of all the bottles? One wrong angle of one bottle in there and when the drawer doesn't close you start swearing softly so your kids cant hear ?

Or is that just me?

Slightly off topic but still bottle related, so I bought a bottle one of those Iceberg Syncro ones but it's not what I expected, my Cycle Tour 2016 bottle performs better than that, larger volume and doesn't leak when you sip from it. It also doesn't keep the drink cooler? I now throw ice blocks in it to ensure it's colder.

Haha yes a cupboard shelf for water bottles

Full of new ones that hardly get used

I always seem to stick to 1 or 2 favourites for some weird reason

Or is that just me? 

That sounds like my freezer, tupperware lid drawer, bottle drawer, fridge fruit drawer..........

I find the Camelbak Podium bottles do a good job regarding insulation and not leaking. But nothing works properly on these super hot days with no wind! I could have thrown a tea bag in my bottle on Saturday morning after 45 minutes

Or is that just me? 

Used to!!!! When we still only had 1 kid the 2nd bedroom was my bike room and the cupboard in there had 1 shelf full of bottles. I was too scared to take a bottle from the back because it meant the rest would fall like bowling pins. Now with more kids I have had to move my cycling stuff. I have a big garage and have cordoned off the one corner as a room and in there is a big 3 door cupboard. I have a few in use bottles on the one shelf and all the new ones sit in a box on the top shelf waiting till one gets retired.

So No, don't think it's just you.

I find plenty things to use my old bottles for though. Kid you not, I had a golf caddy years ago. Highly modified. Did some mods to the head and while it was off I wanted to hone the cylinders, those hollard bottles with the purple lid- cut them shorter and they fitted down the cylinder perfectly. Honed the cylinders and never ran the risk of any dirt going into the crank/sump.

I would rather have a bottle cage the scuffs up my bottles, as opposed to a bottle cage which doesn't hold a bottle properly and then you lose a bottle at the start of a long ride.

I have been very impressed with the Specialized Zee cages - they hold bottle very nicely and to date, haven't lost a bottle, even riding over very rough terrain. 

Look into Mike Woolnough's bottlesox idea...it works.

That sounds like my freezer, tupperware lid drawer, bottle drawer, fridge fruit drawer..........

I find the Camelbak Podium bottles do a good job regarding insulation and not leaking. But nothing works properly on these super hot days with no wind! I could have thrown a tea bag in my bottle on Saturday morning after 45 minutes

Edited by Fat Boab

Used to!!!! When we still only had 1 kid the 2nd bedroom was my bike room and the cupboard in there had 1 shelf full of bottles. I was too scared to take a bottle from the back because it meant the rest would fall like bowling pins. Now with more kids I have had to move my cycling stuff. I have a big garage and have cordoned off the one corner as a room and in there is a big 3 door cupboard. I have a few in use bottles on the one shelf and all the new ones sit in a box on the top shelf waiting till one gets retired.

So No, don't think it's just you.

I find plenty things to use my old bottles for though. Kid you not, I had a golf caddy years ago. Highly modified. Did some mods to the head and while it was off I wanted to hone the cylinders, those hollard bottles with the purple lid- cut them shorter and they fitted down the cylinder perfectly. Honed the cylinders and never ran the risk of any dirt going into the crank/sump.

hahahahah I'm sure Hollard would love to know what you used their bottles for! As for my Hollard bottles, I decided to upgrade my youngests water bottle to a "sporty" one... First use and she bit the little black spouty thing. 

I need to repack my garage (again) and get a sports cupboard going!