Petition: Bring Back the Classifieds Comments

Kalahari Vegmot

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm not a cotic expert, but when did they start putting the front brake caliper on the right fork leg?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/487412/cotic-x-gravel-bike#fullscreen

cotic-x-gravel-bike-1626702979-6159.jpg

Apparently, for this specific fork, it was made like that. Confirmed by someone far more knowledgeable about cotic stuff than most peeps.

1 minute ago, RocknRolla said:

Apparently, for this specific fork, it was made like that. Confirmed by someone far more knowledgeable about cotic stuff than most peeps.

I actually thought there might be a story like that because the fork rake looked right, where if the fork was on backwards, it would be in the wrong direction. 

2 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm not a cotic expert, but when did they start putting the front brake caliper on the right fork leg?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/487412/cotic-x-gravel-bike#fullscreen

cotic-x-gravel-bike-1626702979-6159.jpg

It's more a question of 'when did they stop' as opposed to 'when did they start'.

Their Gen1 stuff, so this 'X' as well as the original 'Road Rat' had forks with the forward facing 'reverse' brake tap.

The 2nd Gen stuff like the horizontal drop out 'escapade' and the next version of the Road Rat then went back to the more conventional brake placement.

31 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's more a question of 'when did they stop' as opposed to 'when did they start'.

Their Gen1 stuff, so this 'X' as well as the original 'Road Rat' had forks with the forward facing 'reverse' brake tap.

The 2nd Gen stuff like the horizontal drop out 'escapade' and the next version of the Road Rat then went back to the more conventional brake placement.

Do you know why they did it like that ?

1 hour ago, splat said:

If my memory serves, it had something to do with trying to put the brake forces into the wheel and not the fork leg so they didn't have to over engineer the fork.

Bear in mind this was nearly 10 years ago, so disc brakes were still pretty crude and there was no such thing as hydro drop bars. BB7's were the best standard out there and I would guess the Cotic designers were trying to find a way of making Disc brakes 'stick'... Both in the braking term and in the design term.

It looks silly. I'm glad they figured it out

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/489869/sworks-epic-axs

another circa R200k bike and all you get is one crappy photo. I don't get these guys.
Is this one of those “ if you have to ask for pictures you cant afford it” type of things?

sure i cant spend that much on a bicycle, it’s sacrilege. But i’m sure if i could id still want to SEE what my house deposit, car buying, tertiary education level money gets me.

this is the equivalent of going to a Michelin star  restaurant and being told you’ll get dinner…and thats it, while being blindfolded…

Or this must be how a blind kid must feel in a toy shop…

anyway, all that picture shows me is that the owner must be colorblind. You’d have to be to choose those bottles to go with that frame color.

Edited by MORNE

43 minutes ago, MORNE said:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/489869/sworks-epic-axs

another circa R200k bike and all you get is one crappy photo. I don't get these guys.
Is this one of those “ if you have to ask for pictures you cant afford it” type of things?

sure i cant spend that much on a bicycle, it’s sacrilege. But i’m sure if i could id still want to SEE what my house deposit, car buying, tertiary education level money gets me.

this is the equivalent of going to a Michelin star  restaurant and being told you’ll get dinner…and thats it, while being blindfolded…

anyway, all that picture shows me is that the owner must be colorblind. You’d have to be to choose those bottles to go with that frame color.

What are you on about? Aren't the bike and bottles green?

15 hours ago, splat said:

13 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

If my memory serves, it had something to do with trying to put the brake forces into the wheel and not the fork leg so they didn't have to over engineer the fork.

Bear in mind this was nearly 10 years ago, so disc brakes were still pretty crude and there was no such thing as hydro drop bars. BB7's were the best standard out there and I would guess the Cotic designers were trying to find a way of making Disc brakes 'stick'... Both in the braking term and in the design term.

It looks silly. I'm glad they figured it out

It’s also because of a inherent design flaw of QR. before frame builders figured out that they had to change the dropouts on forks and which way they ‘faced’…the way to prevent front wheel ejection under heavy braking was to mount the caliper on the front of the fork - it changes the direction in which the force is applied to the QR/hub…preventing the moment if inertia wanting to force the wheel out of the frame. 

google it…scary idea lol

(QR fork wheel ejection)

edit: you’ll se on ‘modern’ touring bikes that are made for discs that still use QR that the fork dropouts usually face at an angle to the front…basically so that the fork dropouts help keep the hub inside by counteracting the moment created by the braking force on the disc

79593687-010C-45AF-A973-7143117895E2.png

Edited by MORNE

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

Can someone explain to me how that bike costs R185 000 in the first place though?

Like that groupset is R30k, the wheels are maybe R25k, the fork maybe R25k, and all the other bits and pieces maybe R10k... So thats R90k all together brand new. 

Is an S-Works frame really R90000??? 

And those are all new prices for the kit. R185k is the second hand price.