GPS for uploading to Strava without phone

peepeekaitjie

Good Afternoon,

Long story short, I have decided to give up using a cell phone completely for a year and have been clean for a month.

So I was just wondering what other options for capturing my ride data there are that I do not need a phone at all.

The only reason I still want to capture my rides is that it a useful tool for my 'training' and it would be nice to have an idea of what is going on as it happens instead of trying to analyse it after the fact. I am not too fussed about navigation as I always have a good idea of where I am going and where is the fun in not getting lost?

Just interested to other opinions on what is out there and what people are using.

Thanks in advance.

Basically any Garmin, Polar or Suunto watch and/or bike computer should sync with Strava if you plug it in to a PC with the appropriate software installed on it. Having the upload go via bluetooth on a cell phone is just much more convenient but not strictly necessary.

Edited by Jehosefat

Basically any Garmin, Polar or Suunto watch and/or bike computer should sync with Strava if you plug it in to a PC with the appropriate software installed on it. Having the upload go via bluetooth on a cell phone is just much more convenient but not strictly necessary.

This.

Wait, What???? You will have no phone for a year??????

I don't mind this long story, please do go ahead and tell us.

Maybe it isn't such a long story but I spend enough time staring at a screen at work. 10 hours a day.

When I get I leave work it is over for the day yet I kept getting pointless calls and forced to be in work Whatsapp Groups that are relentless in their banal banter. I just wanted to claim what little time I have for myself back.

Do you need to link the WiFi connection via a phone app? 

Some Garmins upload via WiFi e.g. the 1030

Maybe it isn't such a long story but I spend enough time staring at a screen at work. 10 hours a day.

When I get I leave work it is over for the day yet I kept getting pointless calls and forced to be in work Whatsapp Groups that are relentless in their banal banter. I just wanted to claim what little time I have for myself back.

I just have 2 phones - a work and a personal phone. I switch off my work phone quite often.

I just have 2 phones - a work and a personal phone. I switch off my work phone quite often.

Funnily enough I have become more sociable since I haven't had a personal phone.

Do you need to link the WiFi connection via a phone app? 

with the 1030 no. It talks directly to the website via website. The Garmin Connect app does not need to be involved

There a few Garmin Edge 500 in the classifieds going cheap.  Back to basics, cable from Garmin to laptop.  Upload via Garmin Connect and autosync to strava.

No phone required.

Just make sure to get a watch or cycling computer with an internal GPS ... the cheaper units all use the PHONE's GPS ....

MANY of these watches and bike computers are controlled from your phone ....  :eek:

Though it is possible to tether some of these to your computer to download the data.

Good Afternoon,

Long story short, I have decided to give up using a cell phone completely for a year and have been clean for a month.

So I was just wondering what other options for capturing my ride data there are that I do not need a phone at all.

The only reason I still want to capture my rides is that it a useful tool for my 'training' and it would be nice to have an idea of what is going on as it happens instead of trying to analyse it after the fact. I am not too fussed about navigation as I always have a good idea of where I am going and where is the fun in not getting lost?

Just interested to other opinions on what is out there and what people are using.

Thanks in advance.

Without a phone Wahoo ELEMNT will not be an option as you need the app to set it up, most Garmins should be good though. 

Good Afternoon,

Thanks in advance.

OFF TOPIC -

How do you manage "the rest of your life" without a cell phone ?

As much as I might want to get rid of my cell phone it is now totally ingrained into my day-to-day living ....

Banking

my GPS while driving in the car

alarm clock

meeting calandar

fitness tracker

Eskom loadshedding tracker ...  :thumbdown:

primary way of keeping track of the school's events calandar

Various apps that helps in my day job

Uber 

The bulk of my phone use is linked to work, but for better or worse these infernal electronic devices have become a part of our daily lives ....

I’ve activated the screen time option on my iPhone, but with communications on WhatsApp (work and personal chats), it hots the limit quite early in the day. It works well for me, as I become conscious about the time I spend on the phone.

9bdd3066adc03ccc663dd89967a3e5d2.jpg

The entertainment was Netflix while I was working out, and the games was my daughter. Social networking is Tapatalk, and WhatsApp (mostly work related - 10 branches, and up to 50 different peeps).

Quite scary this week, but I have been working remotely for a few days, so the numbers go up.