Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

Me thinks because of the good weather and the fact that the race wasn't interrupted in anyway they might sell out for 2021. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who here spotted the guy on the 'offroad' 29'er unicycle? he was about 3m in the air  lol

Went past him at Ocean View and was well impressed with his effort!!

Would have loved seeing him taking on descents

Predictions for 2021:

• E-Bikes will set off after just before 3A. You know, to add some spice to the event.
  • Faired Recumbent Bikes will be actively advertised and encouraged to be the bike of choice at the race. 
  • Detour through Boyes Drive due to protests by residents of Kalk Bay.
  • Timing mats will be sneakily placed such that the 2 lappers will be caught and banned forever.
  • Online auction to buy a seeding.
  • More bananas at tables.

My Argus history.. bear in mind that I'm reasonably fit and have done a number of 100km races in under 3:00, so obviously a sub-3 is a big goal for me. (This is not a brag, it's just important to the narrative.) But I'm not obsessive about training and I'm not physically gifted, so to have any chance I need to be a good starting group and need the weather to play ball. 

2015: I train hard. Literally about to buy an entry. Then there are fires and they shorten the route. Decide against it. 

2016: Skipped. Don't know why and don't know what happened. 

2017: I train hard. I buy an entry. The group before mine gets sent off, we make our way to the line, and it is cancelled. 

2018: I train hard. I buy an entry. Then a friend organizes a skiing trip that can't be turned down (cheap flights and free accom in switzerland). So I sell my entry and the weather is PERFECT, about 1200 sub-3's roll through.

2019: I train fairly hard. I finally get to ride, but it's one the windiest years to not be cancelled and there are literally ten times fewer sub-3s than the previous year. 

2020: I skip and brilliant conditions prevail. 

The only thing that can be concluded from this is that, if I don't even so much as consider riding the argus, the rest of you guys will have a great ride. You can't argue with the stats. 

So at this stage I will happily accept donations TO NOT ride in 2021.  

Edited by NickGM

What would the Expo be if you take out all the supplement companies and clothing companies? Prediction for 2021 would be more socks, more supplements, more clothing less bicycles!

I missed them this year! Any idea why they didn't exhibit?

Found out from ASG that the cost for hiring a space at the Expo has been too exorbitant; i.e. they wanted R 40K for just a 3m x 3m space. That's why the Expo was so poor thus year. The organizers are pricing themselves out of existence.

In case they haven't noticed, only 22000 riders started this year, a few ago it was close to 40000!

If this carries on, there will not be a CT anymore!

Found out from ASG that the cost for hiring a space at the Expo has been too exorbitant; i.e. they wanted R 40K for just a 3m x 3m space. That's why the Expo was so poor thus year. The organizers are pricing themselves out of existence.

In case they haven't noticed, only 22000 riders started this year, a few ago it was close to 40000!

I did not like the whole pay for your spouse and family that are not riding to get into the expo. Luckily we made a plan.

I liked the expo, went on saturday, was not as stuffy as previously. Got all the stuff I wanted and out.

<snip>

If Covid19 had been a thing, I suspect you'd be right.

but with what seems like such a lovely event/day yesterday, I think it'll pick up next year

I did not like the whole pay for your spouse and family that are not riding to get into the expo. Luckily we made a plan.

I liked the expo, went on saturday, was not as stuffy as previously. Got all the stuff I wanted and out.

Previous years one got vouchers in almost all magazines or goody bags for a entry, so wifey could join easy and we strolled through, now she has to wait outside and i run through to get number..(she not paying R50 to look at “specials”).

I would definitely make it free for all or at least one free entry extra per rider

Edited by Karman de Lange

Sincerely hope the group intervals go back to 2 minutes next year. 1 minute is just nuts. Bunches got way too big and dangerous.

Edited by buchanan