Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have my accommodation booked as per usual. I think irrespective of what happens wrt the race if they decide not to run it on the actual race day,  there are going to eb a lot of people down there on bikes who will ride it anyway in some way shape or form whether individual or on club rides. 

So its going to be an interesting time and very busy over that weekend irrespective. mainly the hard core enthusiasts but it will be a bit mental if they dont run the event and everyone tries to do their own version of the race on the day.....

Also looking at flights - the only people flying out of Lanseria to CTN are Safair. It's a bit bizarre at the moment to fly - but it's all coming back slowly.

Hopefully the others will open up n time - Mango, Kulula etc.

Also looks like the numbers in CTN are starting to increase again looking at the number of positive cases.

Going in to Sea Point late on a Friday evening was very different from the last time i was there at the CTCT when it was hectically busy.

What a difference 7 months can make. Sea point and surrounds were very quiet. It is scary how much they relied on international traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just had a look on the CTCT website and it seems the entries are already closed for the 2021 event, is it because it is sold out, or just closed because they are uncertain of the event date?

Hi all, just had a look on the CTCT website and it seems the entries are already closed for the 2021 event, is it because it is sold out, or just closed because they are uncertain of the event date?

That is for 2020, the site hasn't been updated. It is a bit misleading due to the 2021 date on home page but don't worry, if entries had opened, I would know.

2019 hurted....it really hurted. I swear there were section you needed to pedal going downhill to not come to a standstill lol

I was riding up Suikerbossie and rain started bucketing down. I got properly drenched and laughed at all the specators making a bee line for cover. Then as I started the descent to Bakoven the wind from the front was so fierce I had to pedal and also experienced the slow to a stop because of the wind that people keep referring to around here. As I stood sipping my coke after the finish, I realised I was dry as a cork. The rain soak session on Suikerbossie being a distant memory.

Then I read all the post race reviews and folks gushing over the perfect weather conditions on the day...I think I participated in a different event perhaps than everyone else.

That is for 2020, the site hasn't been updated. It is a bit misleading due to the 2021 date on home page but don't worry, if entries had opened, I would know.

PPA has opened entries for an event in wellington end of jan.

2021 argus qualifier

max 500 people per route distance, obviously the current covid rules don't cater for a full on argus so i'm sure they will try some way to put it on if things don't go back to normal

PPA has opened entries for an event in wellington end of jan.

2021 argus qualifier

max 500 people per route distance, obviously the current covid rules don't cater for a full on argus so i'm sure they will try some way to put it on if things don't go back to normal

I am keen for a Club 21 only race/group................ Who's in? I'll be on the tandem!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other/ct-cycle-tour-2021-entries-open-in-january-but-participants-to-drop-by-50/ar-BB1bCI2y?ocid=msedgdhp

Latest news. It is still on the cards, but with a  50% field and a start and finish change. Start when you get there, no chutes. Leave immediately after you cross the finish line. Format also changed to make it a ride and not a race. possibly scrapping timing? Entries to open in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other/ct-cycle-tour-2021-entries-open-in-january-but-participants-to-drop-by-50/ar-BB1bCI2y?ocid=msedgdhp

Latest news. It is still on the cards, but with a  50% field and a start and finish change. Start when you get there, no chutes. Leave immediately after you cross the finish line. Format also changed to make it a ride and not a race. possibly scrapping timing? Entries to open in January.

will keep a close eye on this

Dave was on cape talk this am chatting about the changes. Glad I did DC then....

Only way to get a race in these days is for it to be a Provincial event and race for an Olympic selection opportunity

This will go a long way to alleviating the pens and jams onto the highway after the start, will spread the field out AND they can still time it, no reason not to....maybe just set the end time so you have to finish before a certain time of the day. Won't miss the gathering at the end, always got there too late and all the beer was finished!

Lets be honest, though, these are cyclists we are talking about. If there is no determined seeding, everybody and their dog will arrive at 6:00 and stand in a massive bunch till the start, then there will be choruses of HOLD YOUR LINE, SLOW RIDERS KEEP LEFT all the way through Town, Bishopscourt and Fish Hoek. 

LIke the oke who had a 9:05 start this year but was in the starting area/pens at same time as us at 5:33...  :eek:  :eek: