Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

See okes on Facebook are wetting their pants, they thought you had the 31 days of March to complete all 109km. Feel its unfair that have to do it ALL on one day. We are getting soft, this everyone gets a medal for just existing is annoying. 

Come people, its a challenge.

No "thinking" required.  It was clearly stated that "all your March rides" adds to the 109km.  Even said I could use my trails distances ....  So an expectation was created, however "absurd" that expectation may seem to so many riders.

My daily max at the moment is about 75km (most of this on MTB trails).  DONT LAUGH  :whistling:   :ph34r:   Thats a lot better than my 2019 limit of 30 to 40km ....  so part of me understands why some "newer/older/sicker" riders thought this was their golden opportunity to "ride the Argus" ....  :huh:

Even so, my monthly average is around 300km .... So trying to get 109km in a month does seem "absurd".

Then I would just be donating money to the Argus\PPA\Round Table ... which is not an all bad thing either.

Frankly, I will continue working on my distances.  I DO want to ride the "real Argus" in the year or 2, even if it is on a help-my-trap, and starting stone cold last .... that is my personal little bucket list item. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No "thinking" required. It was clearly stated that "all your March rides" adds to the 109km. Even said I could use my trails distances .... So an expectation was created, however "absurd" that expectation may seem to so many riders.

My daily max at the moment is about 75km (most of this on MTB trails). DONT LAUGH :whistling: :ph34r: Thats a lot better than my 2019 limit of 30 to 40km .... so part of me understands why some "newer/older/sicker" riders thought this was their golden opportunity to "ride the Argus" .... :huh:

Even so, my monthly average is around 300km .... So trying to get 109km in a month does seem "absurd".

Then I would just be donating money to the Argus\PPA\Round Table ... which is not an all bad thing either.

Frankly, I will continue working on my distances. I DO want to ride the "real Argus" in the year or 2, even if it is on a help-my-trap, and starting stone cold last .... that is my personal little bucket list item.

If you doing 75 you will easily do the tour ....

Anyway some new people I know entered and they not comfortable doing 100km plus rides

I'm feeling guilty because the 109 route I have mapped out has much less climbing than the actual "race".

The wording was a little vague when they first released it, but I never thought "hey, I've got 31 days to rack up 109km"  

My 109 last night had zero climbing :D  :blush:

See okes on Facebook are wetting their pants, they thought you had the 31 days of March to complete all 109km. Feel its unfair that have to do it ALL on one day. We are getting soft, this everyone gets a medal for just existing is annoying. 

God forbid you actually have to do something challenging to earn a cycling medal!  :eek:

Where's the challenge in that ?

God forbid you actually have to do something challenging to earn a cycling medal!  :eek:

Do you even get a medal ?

Isn't it a certificate that you down load ?

You can get it 3D printed! 

It had the word challenge in the name, so it should push you out of our comfort zone. 

Pay your R450 and ride as far as you can, if you dont make the 109, well done on your effort and thank you for your donation.

Next they will be extending the cut off at the comrades to  12 hours  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

ja, you get a left over 2oceans 2020 medal

Anyone else having issues getting started on the FulGaz app?

Struggled for almost two hours this morning to download the video of the first stage, without success. Gave up on it before throwing my laptop out the window.  :cursing:

I have no problem downloading the video beforehand, but to get riding, you must download the stage again (can't seem to find a way to link the already downloaded file with the ride) This then takes a long time, and seems to freeze at around the 60% downloaded mark. Restarted my laptop thrice, reduced the download quality, etc. No luck, so I packed up. 

Struggled for almost two hours this morning to download the video of the first stage, without success. Gave up on it before throwing my laptop out the window.  :cursing:

I have no problem downloading the video beforehand, but to get riding, you must download the stage again (can't seem to find a way to link the already downloaded file with the ride) This then takes a long time, and seems to freeze at around the 60% downloaded mark. Restarted my laptop thrice, reduced the download quality, etc. No luck, so I packed up. 

I heard it is not at all easy to get a sub 3 hour download unless you start in a fast bunch  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

(Just kidding of course)

I am getting some conflicting weather reports for tomorrow. One site says heavy showers and little wind, another says strong winds from cape point and almost no rain.

I am getting some conflicting weather reports for tomorrow. One site says heavy showers and little wind, another says strong winds from cape point and almost no rain.

they're probably both right just at different  times

looking at windguru, it looks like a very light NW wind, getting slightly stronger late morning. Light rain at times

looking at windguru, it looks like a very light NW wind, getting slightly stronger late morning. Light rain at times

Decent sub-3 weather ????

I imagine the unofficial turnout will be good tomorrow, will see you peeps on Chappies

Completed my first attempt last night on the IDT. Kids obviously knew I wanted to ride longer last night so decided to stay up a bit later delaying my start so I only finished at 22h00, feeling a little bit tender at work right now. The oldest sommer sat with me for the first half hour "cheering" me on(read bitching that I had my TV channel on and not his TV channel).

https://www.strava.com/activities/4890919143

#Cycletour109.PNG

Does this sub3 count?

Struggled for almost two hours this morning to download the video of the first stage, without success. Gave up on it before throwing my laptop out the window. :cursing:

Worked fine on my side although I used an iPad.

Worked fine on my side although I used an iPad.

Tried again this morning. Downloaded the route fine (took a long time though), got riding no problem, just cannot get my Garmin HRM connected.

All went well until dropping down to the Blue Route, when it slowed down, froze, got going again very slowly and just did not get back up to speed. After 15 minutes of what looked like buffering, I got off the bike and just gave up.

At this stage the stats said I did just on 15km in an hour of riding. I know I am unfit, but not to that extend.  :whistling: