Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

any idea about the expo? or if there will be racetec stalls on raceday and such if there will be no "starting area". My chip was on my bike when i got bikejacked last year. When i got the bike back all those bits were gone so i need a new one. I already paid for one last year already...there just hasn't been an event or opportunity to collect a new one obviously.

anyway..pretty sure we were already full of covid when last year's race and expo happened. I remember standing waiting in the line for it to open and overhearing people talking about company executives narrowly escaping Italy at the time but being sick and staying home as to avoid any public interest. Everybody was still just nonchalant about it. 

No Expo has been announced. Race tec chips you can collect at registration for the event. I assume this registration will be at the Cycle Tour TRust offices where we register for the DC. Likely to be an out in the open event where you just pick up your number, race pack and go.

Otherwise you can participat ein any of the  upcoming Sportifs starting in May and collect a new chip from the Racetec peeps there.

CycleTour Trust will post updates wrt to registration and a possible EXPO probably by August by which time we'll know how the 3rd wave went or didn't

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

Otherwise you can participat ein any of the  upcoming Sportifs starting in May and collect a new chip from the Racetec peeps there.

ill probably do this. didnt know about these since they are not listed on here yet. saw it now on ppa site thanks. i usually do all the 110km pre funrace championship events at the start of the year lol

bUT roLliNg StaRTs......

Jokes aside, I want to ask, what IS a better solution?

To get 18000 people through a start chute over a timing mat without have them all stand in a pen breathing on each other for 15 minutes?

So you get told 'start between 06:00 and 06:07'... If you choose to start with 27 of your friends that is you being rubbish, not the organiser.

If you choose to get there at 05:20 and stand around in the way until your start time of 07:26 to 07:33 then again, the organiser has told you not to, but you did it anyway.

4 hours of 5 minute (or whatever) allocated start times to get 18000 people through. That is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, like most of the pandemic, it relies on humans actually doing what the organiser asks.

I reckon it is a perfectly viable way to get a fun ride under way. Well done to them for walking the gauntlet and getting something off the ground. 

I look forward to trying to get an entry

you'll get one without even trying...on the first day. i'm sure of it.

18k is plenty. it's not like they were even pushing 30k in recently (normal) times. minus all the foreign entries, the majority of the upcountry ones....and then the clinical paranoia ones....and i doubt they'll even get 18k to be honest.

you'll get one without even trying...on the first day. i'm sure of it.

18k is plenty. it's not like they were even pushing 30k in recently (normal) times. minus all the foreign entries, the majority of the upcountry ones....and then the clinical paranoia ones....and i doubt they'll even get 18k to be honest.

spot on. I doubt obtaining an entry will be a problem. Anyone know where to find entry and nationality stats for the cycle tour participants over the last 10 years?

spot on. I doubt obtaining an entry will be a problem. Anyone know where to find entry and nationality stats for the cycle tour participants over the last 10 years?

Not sure but i remember reading some random research paper some time ago where a specific year  was used as a sample and that GP and WC only made/makes up roughly equal amounts of about 35%  each in terms of entries. That year the entries were around 30k in total if I recall. I was around 2007 or something i think.

Well PPA is now on special for R100 for the year

Thats a good deal

check again, when I renewed earlier it was only until end june 2021

bUT roLliNg StaRTs......

Jokes aside, I want to ask, what IS a better solution?

To get 18000 people through a start chute over a timing mat without have them all stand in a pen breathing on each other for 15 minutes?

So you get told 'start between 06:00 and 06:07'... If you choose to start with 27 of your friends that is you being rubbish, not the organiser.

If you choose to get there at 05:20 and stand around in the way until your start time of 07:26 to 07:33 then again, the organiser has told you not to, but you did it anyway.

4 hours of 5 minute (or whatever) allocated start times to get 18000 people through. That is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, like most of the pandemic, it relies on humans actually doing what the organiser asks.

I reckon it is a perfectly viable way to get a fun ride under way. Well done to them for walking the gauntlet and getting something off the ground. 

A better solution would be to have normal starts etc, just have start chutes in a long line into town so when you get into your batch, you will be around 200 odd people, who you will be around on the road anyway. 

This was you avoid the whole mixing with the other 400 people in the other start chutes.

I shall mail them in the morning.

If you renew:

This facility allows you to Join or Renew your PPA membership up until 1 July 2022.

Click on Renew to renew your membership or click on Join should you wish to join PPA. If your membership is up to date for the new membership year, you do not need to complete this process.

Recognising the impact that COVID-19 has had on budgets and looking to attract many new cyclists we have decided to reduce membership fees to R100 per person for the year. Membership fees for the year 2021-2022 is as follows:

Main member: R100

Additional Member with children under the age of 18 (see terms and conditions on Pedal Power Association website): R100

Pensioner: R100

Up Country member: R100 (living outside the Western Cape, more than 250 km from Cape Town. Only 1 family member may be linked to this membership)

Additional Upcountry Member: R100

Scholar u/18: R100

Student: R100 - Student card to be produced. Membership cannot be renewed online, please email members@pedalpower.org.za for more info.

Become a PPA Supporter: By donating an annual amount of R100 you’ll become an acknowledged PPA Supporter whose generosity goes beyond your own enjoyment of our sport. And as a non-profit organisation dedicated to all SA cyclists, a donation to the PPA is a guaranteed way of making sure your money does exactly what you intended. For more information contact the PPA office.

Development Riders: Contact the PPA Office to facilitate your membership renewal/joining