Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still an ongoing debate ...

"Exercise" vs "structured training" .... and from which age.

One of Maritz's class mates at the age of 7 was riding tandem with his dad. They regularly do way in excess of 100km per ride.

Yet his main sport is rugby, so dont cycle weekly.

One of the local coaches does "skill training" and trail rides with the younger kids. Only from about 12 year old will he start race coaching them ... apparently 3 hard sessions per week could be bad for the developing bodies of the younger kids ...

my son was 12 when we rode tandem in the argus - did a 4 hour on adreneline. in training, anything over 50 ks i could see he would be getting bored. then he started racing on the track and road on restricted gears and distance and his cycling ability went through the roof. he wasn't on a training program until he was a 2nd year u16 and that was just for the track. over the weekends, he rode with his club and had good fun and a laugh and then played a game of club soccer. 

Edited by Andy Arnesan

As a rider entering for his first time. When or Where do I fetch the racechip I purchased with my entry? I don't see much details around this? or would it be announced closer to the time? 

Edited by BMorrison

As a rider entering for his first time. When or Where do I fetch the racechip I purchased with my entry? I don't see much details around this? or would it be announced closer to the time?

You will receive it at the expo when you collect your number

Thanks Everyone. Super Excited for this event. Will be my first event so cant wait. 

just enjoy it. you get to ride some of the best roads in the world for a few hours, closed ones to boot. 

PS: Suikerbossie is overhyped....i say that because that is all you'll hear from people who have done one 15 years ago lol. 

Why not enter a few other events before this one? You can then practice what you need to get right on that big race day.

imo if you can manage a 50km ride without dying you'll manage the ctct. the raceday vibe makes the diustance alot better. thats what i built my wife up to every time lol. in anycase...it's basically flat all the way to simonstown...and then theres only like 3 small hills in the way :-)

PPA 110km seeding events are absolute dogcrap. they feel like 500km to me for the reasons stated above lol 

Edited by MORNE

imo if you can manage a 50km ride without dying you'll manage the ctct. the raceday vibe makes the diustance alot better. thats what i built my wife up to every time lol. in anycase...it's basically flat all the way to simonstown...and then theres only like 3 small hills in the way :-)

PPA 110km seeding events are absolute dogcrap. they feel like 500km to me for the reasons stated above lol

Basically flat .... you ignored Edinburgh drive ....

He must be a Pro or a flat earther.

i try and do that bit so fast i forgot about it haha. If you smash the first hill you havw the whole of the m3 to rest your legs. Well thats what i do anyway lol.

and again, thats one of the spots with the most fans normally...you hardly notice the climb then

He must be a Pro or a flat earther.

hardly...i just don't think it's that bad, especially since you are still full of adrenaline and fresh legs from the start.  To me the hardest bit is chapmans peak,...maybe it's because you get to think about it all the way from Scarborough lol. especially in a big group. it's narrow and people go very slow...which makes it more difficult. the width of suikerbos and all the walkers keeping left makes it a relative breeze. that spot alone makes me feel like i'm passing 100s of people so that motivates me enough haha