Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I am doing the event on my mountain bike, Are there any decent upcoming events or good recommendations to ride at in preparation for ctct? 

I recently moved to CPT in Feb so just been riding along the roads and one or two trials as I don't really know where to ride? 

I want to give Bloemendal a go as I have read thats decent? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BMorrison said:

I am doing the event on my mountain bike, Are there any decent upcoming events or good recommendations to ride at in preparation for ctct? 

I recently moved to CPT in Feb so just been riding along the roads and one or two trials as I don't really know where to ride? 

If you in Cape Town, you can head out down the coast, then Fish Hoek, round the point and back the way you came if want some nice distance. 

Just be careful of Ocean View - its lank dodgy, pepper spray or groups of 10 or more. 

Can go over Red Hill to skip Ocean View.

1 hour ago, BMorrison said:

Your avatar says you are in Milnerton. Get yourself a Tygerberg MTB membership and ride many many happy kilometers of trail (around 95% odd of which is single track). You won't regret it.

Best prep for the CTCT (for me) is to ride along the western seaboard from the Waterfront to Noordhoek and back. That will give you an estimated 70km with a couple of good climbs and awesome scenery. You could also carry on from Noordhoek to Simonstown / Smitswinkel and back and that would give you over 100km of riding. Just don't do the Noordhoek to Simonstown alone if you can help it.

edit - yes, Bloemendal is a fun bike park vibe with some flow and tech if you're up for it. From kids to pinners to older folks ride there just about every day. You will enjoy it there.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

As savage has already alluded to, just dont let the scenery fool you into a false sense of security. I’m saying this as an ex -GP’er that has an armed mugging as well as bike jacking under my belt already in 5y down here. Don't just wander the streets on your own on a bicycle please please please. The skollies here have expensive taste.

edit: and definitely don't even think about riding from milnerton to the trails in dbnville on your own if thats the case. 

Edited by MORNE
New info

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Your avatar says you are in Milnerton. Get yourself a Tygerberg MTB membership and ride many many happy kilometers of trail (around 95% odd of which is single track). You won't regret it.

Best prep for the CTCT (for me) is to ride along the western seaboard from the Waterfront to Noordhoek and back. That will give you an estimated 70km with a couple of good climbs and awesome scenery. You could also carry on from Noordhoek to Simonstown / Smitswinkel and back and that would give you over 100km of riding. Just don't do the Noordhoek to Simonstown alone if you can help it.

edit - yes, Bloemendal is a fun bike park vibe with some flow and tech if you're up for it. From kids to pinners to older folks ride there just about every day. You will enjoy it there.

Great, Will try out the Tygerberg MTB membership first I hear of this. I see they have a lot of trails and things to offer so will definitely look into this. Thanks for the advice.

Will give this route a go within the next month and see how it is. I will stay out of the risky areas as I am riding alone but will take it easy at first. Thanks 

22 minutes ago, MORNE said:

As savage has already alluded to, just dont let the scenery fool you into a false sense of security. I’m saying this as an ex -GP’er that has an armed mugging as well as bike jacking under my belt already in 5y down here. Don't just wander the streets on your own on a bicycle please please please. The skollies here have expensive taste.

edit: and definitely don't even think about riding from milnerton to the trails in dbnville on your own if thats the case. 

Thanks for the advice. I have been vigilant but will take extra care. I do stick to the cycle lanes and routes where by it does at least have people ether running/cycling. Rode yesterday on the route going towards the CBD on Marine drive but turned around and rather went the other direction towards Melkbos as it started looking a bit dodgy. It seems the route I take from the paddocks towards Melkbos and back is a lot more busier and less Hobos on that route. 

Lol was actually planning to ride on Saturday morning from where I stay to the trails in Dbnville. Will take the advice and rather load up the bike and park at the trails. 

Thanks 

Edited by BMorrison

14 minutes ago, BMorrison said:

Great, Will try out the Tygerberg MTB membership first I hear of this. I see they have a lot of trails and things to offer so will definitely look into this. Thanks for the advice.

Will give this route a go within the next month and see how it is. I will stay out of the risky areas as I am riding alone but will take it easy at first. Thanks 

YES, the membership is the way to go.

BUT, you can also start with a day-permit and ride Bloemendal, OR Contermanskloof, OR Meerendal  (each has their own day-permit...)  If this is your thing, YES, please join us and get the year pass.  With the year pass you also get access to all the linking trails ... nearing 200km worth of trails !!

WELCOME,  and ENJOY :)

52 minutes ago, BMorrison said:

Thanks for the advice. I have been vigilant but will take extra care. I do stick to the cycle lanes and routes where by it does at least have people ether running/cycling. Rode yesterday on the route going towards the CBD on Marine drive but turned around and rather went the other direction towards Melkbos as it started looking a bit dodgy. It seems the route I take from the paddocks towards Melkbos and back is a lot more busier and less Hobos on that route. 

Lol was actually planning to ride on Saturday morning from where I stay to the trails in Dbnville. Will take the advice and rather load up the bike and park at the trails. 

Thanks 

leka, yea it used to be fine...as recent as a year or two ago even. I mean I used to ride PAST dunoon to melkbos from dbville side haha. but Dunoon has gotten out of hand and there are so many guys looking for trouble that cruise around that and surrounding areas. The highway crossing there by makro has also had incidents. I was bike jacked on a bright saturday morning on my way to Hoogekraal, between groups of cyclists...literally. they timed it to perfection. Anyway...park and ride then dbville is mtb heaven to alot of people. 

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

That final stretch after Lundudno is a mind trick. It’s basically flat, but it never seems to end and then throw in a little punch hill here and there and the tired body just refuses to work. 

My First Tour they told me that the last hill is Suikerbossie, forgetting that piece of crap climb out of Camps Bay

2 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

My First Tour they told me that the last hill is Suikerbossie, forgetting that piece of crap climb out of Camps Bay

You're referring to Cramps Bay hill. Knowing that's the last bit of up I usually just hit it hard and recover on the way to Seapoint. Works well for me.

Thanks 

Steer clear from riding to town from Milnerton, especially on the cycle path. It probably ranks as the worst bike jacking stretch in the Cape. The section from the N1 to the foreshore being the worst. 

I have ridden from Paddocks up to Makro and crossed over to the Panorama side of the N7 and then up to Jip de Jager and then to Durbanville. Its quite a lekker climby route, but the bit over the N7 is dodgy. You could also maybe go up to Bosmansdam and cross over that way. I see many cyclists on that road, although it passes much to close to Joe Slovo for my liking.

2 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Bonked here 3 years in a row - then last year I had a beer in houtbay and rode my fastest suikerbossie smashing down doors into the Strava top 10 000 and cruised home at nice pace 

having achieved this, I quit Strava knowing my work was done 

re seeding events....

I see PPa sportive 1 is sold out? what was the entry limit?

people are keen. 

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

YES, the membership is the way to go.

BUT, you can also start with a day-permit and ride Bloemendal, OR Contermanskloof, OR Meerendal  (each has their own day-permit...)  If this is your thing, YES, please join us and get the year pass.  With the year pass you also get access to all the linking trails ... nearing 200km worth of trails !!

WELCOME,  and ENJOY :)

I race a bit of XCO with the chaps from Tygerberg MTB club. Superb bunch of peeps there. Just a pity its such a huge trek for me but once I'm back at the office its just down the road so I'll ride there more often

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

re seeding events....

I see PPa sportive 1 is sold out? what was the entry limit?

people are keen. 

500 I think it was