Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

32 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The thing is, according to the doc that just did some surgery on my daughter, if you've had Covid and test again in a six month window after getting it, the chances of testing positive still are very high.

Where does that leave those of us that have had it recently ?

With Mongooseman here - maybe we should wait for the official announcement before we queue the outrage ????

Also a bit worried about the accuracy of those rapid tests, would be ticked off if a false positive prevents me from doing the CTCT

Much prefer the idea of a vaccine passport for the pro-vaxxers and let the anti-vaxxers bring a negative test result to enter the stadium... ????

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Much prefer the idea of a vaccine passport for the pro-vaxxers and let the anti-vaxxers bring a negative test result to enter the stadium... ????

yes yes yes

14 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

With Mongooseman here - maybe we should wait for the official announcement before we queue the outrage ????

Also a bit worried about the accuracy of those rapid tests, would be ticked off if a false positive prevents me from doing the CTCT

that too, my first test was a rapid test that gave a false positive, followed immediately by a lab test that confirmed negative

21 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Yeah, and this way you could still have someone else pick up your registration bag if you are vaxxed. No need to all go to an "expo" where we don't actually want to be and where exposure is increased.

So, this is as good a time as any to ask... Will they allow us to print our race numbers? :whistling:

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

This is far better than vaccine passports and a positive step forward 

Possibly a combination of the two for an even better approach ?

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Look, we're extrapolating from CTM to CTCT, which is not guaranteed. So let's wait until CTCT actually makes a decision, then we can dissect it :) 

You want to use FACTS ?

On a Friday ??

Did I log onto the Hub ???

Supposedly the digital vaccine passport thingy should launch 'this month' (EVDS seems to work pretty well, so there is hope that this isn't the usual government 'this month' = next year somewhere).

So, would be nice if those who have been vaccinated could choose if they want to do the rapid test or not.
If this is not ready in time, I doubt we will be so lucky.

Edited by HdB

3 minutes ago, HdB said:

So, would be nice if those who have been vaccinated could choose if they want to do the rapid test or not.
If this is not ready in time, I doubt we will be so lucky.

Issue is that the vaccine does not appear to significantly inhibit transmission of COVID but rather prevents serious illness. (e.g. Israel has one of the highest vaccination rates but in the last few weeks also had one of the highest per-capita infection rates as well).

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

You want to use FACTS ?

On a Friday ??

Fine, fine! I'll speculate that they make you provide a stool sample on the start line, and you'll have to wait while they analyse it before they let you start the race (after returning the sample to you, obviously).

Am I doing Friday right?

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am fairly confident I am not near fit enough to participate in this event as I have not ridden much in terms of distance this entire year, but for interest sake, should I succumb to absolute stupidity and enter, did you just pay the international fee, or the SA fee to enter?

Do it!! 

I paid R595.. I have no idea which entry fee I paid

It's a jol. If you feel vrot just soft pedal and join another group of people feeling vrot

44 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Possibly a combination of the two for an even better approach ?

The problem with vaccine passports is the time to get it rolled out. 

It is also not the best form of immunity although it is effective at lowering your risk of dying. Currently the data points to the best immunity coming from

1. having survived covid and having natural immunity 
  2. + vaccination as a booster

Vaccine passports don't cover people who have had covid and recovered and are fit to race.

So in my opinion its a negatively discriminatory mechanism. antigen testing is more fair method.

However, I still encourage everyone to get a vaccination shot. The best way to prevent the virus mutating is for everyone to be vaccinated ASAP.

Vaccinations are not a guarantee of avoiding transmission. Knowing you're not carrying and not close to be infectious (incubation period of 5 days still applies. 

So much more practical and fair to a broader spectrum of the population while lowering the risks

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

You want to use FACTS ?

On a Friday ??

and we're talking COVID too.

pretty sure admin is monitoring this thread on the big screen, howzit Matt. we playing ok for now?

Quick change of tack.

Those that had Covid, how soon after could you start training again? I had the damn infection almost whole of August, could only go back to my business/work last week?

I already had 3 x very low intensity/short distance/flat route Mtb rides. Felt ok'ish, obviously did not push it and tried to keep the HR under control. Chest felt good, no wheezing or short of breath. Also did not felt fatigued after the rides.

Doing my work however (quite intense and labour intensive) I fatigue very quickly. After a 3 hour stint yesterday, I had to recover for about 2hrs before I could clean and pack my equipment. I sweated quite a lot, and drank about two liters of water in that period. I can feel it in my body today, and this concerns me.

I would dearly like to do my 19th CTCT this year (plan is to do 21 consecutively, and then call it a day) 

Edited by Wannabe

8 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Quick change of tack.

Those that had Covid, how soon after could you start training again? I had the damn infection almost whole of August, could only go back to my business/work last week?

I already had 3 x very low intensity/short distance/flat route Mtb rides. Felt ok'ish, obviously did not push it and tried to keep the HR under control. Chest felt good, no wheezing or short of breath. Also did not felt fatigued after the rides.

Doing my work however (quite intense and labour intensive) I fatigue very quickly. After a 3 hour stint yesterday, I had to recover for about 2hrs before I could clean and pack my equipment. I sweated quite a lot, and drank about two liters of water in that period. I can feel it in my body today, and this concerns me.

I would dearly like to do my 19th CTCT this year (plan is to do 21 consecutively, and then call it a day) 

I started doing low intensity IDT rides on the 11th day from symptoms.

But HR would rise quickly with shortness of breath.

About 2 weeks after that I hit the road, pushing intensity up would have my chest feeling tightish.

Its not 2 1/2 months since first symptoms and I'm only just starting to feel like getting some fitness back