Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

17 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Quick change of tack.

Those that had Covid, how soon after could you start training again? I had the damn infection almost whole of August, could only go back to my business/work last week?

I already had 3 x very low intensity/short distance/flat route Mtb rides. Felt ok'ish, obviously did not push it and tried to keep the HR under control. Chest felt good, no wheezing or short of breath. Also did not felt fatigued after the rides.

Doing my work however (quite intense and labour intensive) I fatigue very quickly. After a 3 hour stint yesterday, I had to recover for about 2hrs before I could clean and pack my equipment. I sweated quite a lot, and drank about two liters of water in that period. I can feel it in my body today, and this concerns me.

I would dearly like to do my 19th CTCT this year (plan is to do 21 consecutively, and then call it a day) 

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I started doing low intensity IDT rides on the 11th day from symptoms.

But HR would rise quickly with shortness of breath.

About 2 weeks after that I hit the road, pushing intensity up would have my chest feeling tightish.

Its not 2 1/2 months since first symptoms and I'm only just starting to feel like getting some fitness back

I was down for 3 weeks , 20 days in fact.

5 days later I could do a 15min ride at 55% of max HR and felt tired. Two days later I could do 30min, 3 days later I could do 45min.

I got up to an hour at 55% HRMax on day 8 after I started exercising.

I stayed at 55% HR max for 2 weeks then raised the bar to 65% HRmax and stayed there for 3 weeks.

From Week 6 I raised the bar again to 75% HR max.

Essentially just take it easy and gauge what you an do based on your recovery.

Get yourself checked out thoroughly. Blood Pressure, Blood test, Lung function test, x-rays to determine internal inflammation.

Do not treat it lightly

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Quick change of tack.

Those that had Covid, how soon after could you start training again? I had the damn infection almost whole of August, could only go back to my business/work last week?

I already had 3 x very low intensity/short distance/flat route Mtb rides. Felt ok'ish, obviously did not push it and tried to keep the HR under control. Chest felt good, no wheezing or short of breath. Also did not felt fatigued after the rides.

Doing my work however (quite intense and labour intensive) I fatigue very quickly. After a 3 hour stint yesterday, I had to recover for about 2hrs before I could clean and pack my equipment. I sweated quite a lot, and drank about two liters of water in that period. I can feel it in my body today, and this concerns me.

I would dearly like to do my 19th CTCT this year (plan is to do 21 consecutively, and then call it a day) 

Did my first 30 minute ride 32 days after the first symptoms but then I struggled, only managed 1 - 2 short, easy rides a week because at some point during most rides my heart rate would just shoot up for no reason and I'd stop the ride and take a few days off before trying again.

Managed to start doing more consistent training about about 3-4 weeks after that and only got back to full training about a month after that (which was only a few weeks ago). Fitness and FTP are still way down on where I was before I caught the bug.

image.png.4693c158203aa7ee2b70e88633fb8d12.png

Dark line is fitness. 

Last ride pre 'Rona was 29 June, you can see the rapid drop off due to no exercise, then tiny blips as I started up again. 

Strava fitness number touched 60 yesterday, it was touching 70 but consistently in the 60s prior to that.

Thanks guys.

Luckily my HR stays constant during the rides, although some guys would say it is high. It hovers in the high 150's to low 160's, but then I'm still very comfortable, breathing easily.

Must add, my HR is normally very high for a 50 plusser (I can comfortably take it to high 180's (sometimes low 190's) when pushing it when fit) I've checked, I'm avg of 15-20 beats more than my training partners of the same age when riding the same pace.)

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

Quick change of tack.

Did you have the vaccine before getting covid - as this seems to result in an "easier" experience.  Neighbour got infected at work (working directly in the covid ward), about 2 months after the J&J.  She had a "bad flu", lost taste and smell for a few days .... not bad going for a diabetic.  Day 11 she was back at work, no further side effects.

We also have a few friends that got covid pre vaccination (their age was not open at that stage).  Both with mild astma ... both suffering "long covid", just cant clear the flem, and simply cant get any real exercise going.  Neither with any other co-morbidities.

Seems it is luck of the draw .... those that get back to fitness in a few weeks are the lucky ones, just no way of predicting.

HOPE yours is an easy road to recovery :thumbup:

Just for interest sake .... that very small percentage that do make it to hospital with covid .... just wrapping up an 8 week ordeal with a friends mom.  Admitted to hospital, covid ward, but just basic meds and monitoring .... Towards end of week one she was on the low flow re-breather treatment.  Early in week 2 was moved to high flow oxygen.  End of week two she was moved over to a ventilator.  To be on the ventilator you are sedated, thus NO further communication with the family.  Actually, from the high flow stage she no longer used a cell phone, so the communication stopped even earlier.  Also NO visitation.  By the end of week 4 her vitals look good and they told the family she will be taken off the ventilator .... nope, low blood pressure, so they had to postpone, again and again ...  By the end of week 5 they did a "traggie", and started bringing her out of sedation .... that took a good few days !!  During the last week she have been having all kinds of therapy sessions, having to learn how to swallow again, still not talking ....Thankfully her vitals are good, and she is very alert, so just a matter of time to get her basic skills and mobility back.  It was about 7 weeks before her family could visit again, with almost 6 weeks of not being to get any info from their mother.  Actually even though they can visit now, it is still a very one sided conversation.  with any luck she will be able to write any day now, starting some form of real dialogue.

I never knew this thing could knock you out the park to THIS extent !! 

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Did you have the vaccine before getting covid - as this seems to result in an "easier" experience.  Neighbour got infected at work (working directly in the covid ward), about 2 months after the J&J.  She had a "bad flu", lost taste and smell for a few days .... not bad going for a diabetic.  Day 11 she was back at work, no further side effects.

We also have a few friends that got covid pre vaccination (their age was not open at that stage).  Both with mild astma ... both suffering "long covid", just cant clear the flem, and simply cant get any real exercise going.  Neither with any other co-morbidities.

Seems it is luck of the draw .... those that get back to fitness in a few weeks are the lucky ones, just no way of predicting.

Just for interest sake .... that very small percentage that do make it to hospital with covid .... just wrapping up an 8 week ordeal with a friends mom.  Admitted to hospital, covid ward, but just basic meds and monitoring .... Towards end of week one she was on the low flow re-breather treatment.  Early in week 2 was moved to high flow oxygen.  End of week two she was moved over to a ventilator.  To be on the ventilator you are sedated, thus NO further communication with the family.  Actually, from the high flow stage she no longer used a cell phone, so the communication stopped even earlier.  Also NO visitation.  By the end of week 4 her vitals look good and they told the family she will be taken off the ventilator .... nope, low blood pressure, so they had to postpone, again and again ...  By the end of week 5 they did a "traggie", and started bringing her out of sedation .... that took a good few days !!  During the last week she have been having all kinds of therapy sessions, having to learn how to swallow again, still not talking ....Thankfully her vitals are good, and she is very alert, so just a matter of time to get her basic skills and mobility back.  It was about 7 weeks before her family could visit again, with almost 6 weeks of not being to get any info from their mother.  Actually even though they can visit now, it is still a very one sided conversation.  with any luck she will be able to write any day now, starting some form of real dialogue.

Nope, got the virus the same week we were scheduled for the Vaccine. My wife was very hesitant, as she has a genetic disposition that leads to blood clotting (she's on Warferin to combat it) We were advised to get the J&J jab as it has the best record with blood clots, and it was a struggle to get an vaccination point that does J&J. So we have to go through that again once we can go for the jab again (I believe it's a month after getting Covid, not sure if it's from the day of testing positive, or 10 days after that the countdown starts.)

I've only got the fatique when doing hard work, and a dry cough (no phlegm) I'm lucky in that I'm healthy with no co-morbidities at all, although I was very inactive for a few months pre-Covid, so I had no base to rely on.

Let's see how this recovery goes, I made sure that I did nothing until most of the symptoms cleared (even my taste and smell is returning), so hopefully I can gain a reasonable level of fitness before CTCT. 

I'll jump through what ever covid hoop they ask me to in order to race. I've had 3 races in the last few months cancelled/postponed, hopefully racing next weekend but I miss racing. I'm fully 5g compliant, sorry I mean fully vaccinated, so is my toppie. He's just bought us each a lekker new wahoo kickr so im all in. We will wait till the announcement next week before pulling the trigger on flights and accommodation. If it is cancelled, I'll be upset but not because my entry fee will go to a good charity but because I miss the race. 

On the return to normal front, it seems we are all very different. I was down with the VID for 5 visible days. I walked the dog and kept a strict social distance on the mountain for 7 days post symptoms, then surfed and walk/jogged alone. Within 14 days I was back running and riding alone as per usual.

Joined the morning ride after the prescribed time frame plus change and had 'slow legs' when the kids all kicked off on the climb winky swinging, but 7 days later was able to go with and not ded.

Back to normal within a month. 

Ankle injuries and other stupid things have seemingly effected me more in the past year

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

sadly for some yes....the impact of this virus has been immense and tragic....take care all...

2 hours ago, DJR said:

This is going to be my year to prove that I can ride it with no training........????

Same here, and with Covid still fresh in my system. Gonna be a test of character for sure. 

image.png.8f174dac3e1127296462f04ba6c86785.png

Curious to see how, with the reduced level 2 gathering limit of 500, the tour operator will manage +20k entrants.

Edited by Kom

3 hours ago, Kom said:

Curious to see how, with the reduced level 2 gathering limit of 500, the tour operator will manage +20k entrants.

Never gather all 18k together. 

28 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Never gather all 18k together. 

I could see this happening at the start chutes- but what about kalk bay when the groups start bunching, or some of the climbs.