Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Lots of info about this on the vaccination sites, under the adverse effects sections - search for "heart inflammation".

It is a typical side effect which impacts a very SMALL portion, which is probably why it is not this widely listed on the warnings.  

Just MONITOR your heart rate for the first week .... dont ignore higher than normal values, and dont ignore chest pains ....

I think I'm good. Avg 128 for 106km and 6680m climbing in 23 hours on foot. No issues other than some stiff quads

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Exactly what i was about to ask. Just because you're vaccinated doesn't mean you can't contract or spread the disease, the same as if you haven't been vaccinated. So essentially everyone should be tested then.

I think the idea is not to absolutely guarantee that no one attending has covid or spread covid. It is to reduce the risk, and the negative test is a concession for those who for whatever reason are not vaccinated at the time of the event.

15 hours ago, Wannabe said:

And what do I do in this case? Just recovered from Covid, can only be vaxed a month after recovering, but then not allowed to do strenuous exercise for 4 weeks after being vaxed? (this is what my GP and Dr Google tells me)

But, ........ the CTCT isn't "strenuous exercise" .......... it's just a relaxed fun ride and totally flat ......... isn't it?????

15 hours ago, Wannabe said:

That is the info that I got. 

Mmmm, using Dr Google now, it seems that 1 week abstinence from exercise is all that is required after getting the jab. Obviously depending how severe the Vax symptoms is. 

I had zero side-effects other than the typical sore arm for a day. I did however get tired much quicker and for the first time in a long time my legs absolutely refused to cooperate after doing the full Hoogekraal run (up, Cobra, mainline descent) and then sessioning the skills park for about 2 hours after. But that could also be because of my really hitting the big jumps hard trying to clear them all (close, so close - the solution to that puzzle is near to be solved). 

If i was doing the argus and I was severly undertrained/covid compromised:

*ride 50km easy pace the weekend before

if you're ok from that, then realise you have 7 hours for 105km - ~14kph average

*just start, let the bunch go up NM boulevard and wave at the holiday inn. take Hospital bend and UCT easy. get to the top of edinburgh drive and if you're feeling fine then start looking for the eventual bunch coming past. Reassess at fish hoek. if you think you can do it, go for it, your bailout option of going straight to noordhoek chappies will cut it down to about 65km - as you handled 50km the week before self rescue should be doable and more fun than the broomwagon.

if that is not even an option then either pull into a restaurant. relax. when you're bored from that move onto the next one. it's a fun day out.

obviously CTCT is a big event, and pushing boundaries on what is possible under covid, even level 2.

I think admin will let some covid talk here, as it is relevant to the event,

Let's not get it too far off track as there is some really good experience for people to share on both post covid/vacc riding and as well as the inevitable admin that goes with complying for this. it would be a pity to lose this platform over some ivermectin meme.

CT trust have a huge job pulling this off. I don't envy them and won't criticize any of the decisions they or others involved make (within reason - #boratrides)

19 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I know a guy(My Uncle) who has been double vaxxed( a while ago already as he works for Metro) and is currently fighting for his life in ICU

sorry to hear. all I'm going to say is it's probably a good thing he got vaxxed prior. It might have helped him both in science and just mentally. Being in ICU knowing that you could have done more is a tough one for many to process.

I fully expect the Cycle tour medics to keep records and perhaps even a follow up study to see how an event of this size influences the trajectory of the pandemic in Cape Town. We have to start somewhere and it makes sense that the academics use it as an opportunity to study what happens when we open it up for an outdoor event like this. Interesting times. 

7 minutes ago, FlashJordan said:

Seeding info e mail recieved:clap: 06h23 start. It's ON 

No expo this year, keen to see how registration will happen.

Managed to get into 1D.

10 minutes ago, FlashJordan said:

Seeding info e mail recieved:clap: 06h23 start. It's ON 

Seeding info still not updated on RaceTec though, so hard to know what it's based on... ????

I'm also in 1D at 6.38... I've been persuaded (coerced) to do a 2 day hike Friday and Saturday so not sure what the legs will be like. 

1 minute ago, Karman de Lange said:

How in the world did i get 1C

Not done any racing since ctct last year….

glad im doing social ride this year….

Last year CTCT qualifies for unpenalised seeding.