Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it begins. Well there are already examples but this is the first major event in SA i know of that has vaccination as a prerequisite for entry?
I for one am glad, this is how major events with crowds have been happening oversees for a while.
No vaccine no entry.  

Its the first step in accepting this thing is going to be around a while and getting back to some form of normalcy.  If you dont want to…you have to accept the fact that youll get a swab stuck down your nose and throat and or pay for a negative test everytime you want to partake in society.

/comic sans/

Just get the damn thing lol. Its free and Bill Gates couldnt even make Windows work right…so I wouldnt worry too much????.

/comic sans/

19 minutes ago, MORNE said:

And so it begins. Well there are already examples but this is the first major event in SA i know of that has vaccination as a prerequisite for entry?
I for one am glad, this is how major events with crowds have been happening oversees for a while.
No vaccine no entry.  

Its the first step in accepting this thing is going to be around a while and getting back to some form of normalcy.  If you dont want to…you have to accept the fact that youll get a swab stuck down your nose and throat and or pay for a negative test everytime you want to partake in society.

/comic sans/

Just get the damn thing lol. Its free and Bill Gates couldnt even make Windows work right…so I wouldnt worry too much????.

/comic sans/

Ja exactly. I'm also pleased because it means I can attend knowing that there is some risk management of the factors I cannot control regarding being exposed to this infernal bug. Makes me feel safer. 

Having had that stick up my nose 3 times already, that experience alone might now sway people that are still open to the jab to get it. 

I for one am stoked that events are happening again, some protocols were inevitable. 

You guys are aware that even fully vaxxed peeps can still contract this "infernal bug" as you call it? They are then full of false bravado and can then spread the virus as far as they go.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to test one, test them all. That way you are 100% certain that the event is not a spreader, and can you truly claim you have the best interest of all the entrants at heart. By testing only a few is also discriminatory. 

I heard the Cape Town Marathon is paying for the test of all the athletes at their registration. This is hearsay, but if true, that is the way it should be done. If they can afford it, surely the CTCT Trust can too. I mean, they have the surplus of the cancelled and shortened Tours of previous years.????

Edited by Wannabe

9 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

You guys are aware that even fully vaxxed peeps can still contract this "infernal bug" as you call it? They are then full of false bravado and can then spread the virus as far as they go................

Yes, that is true, but one should add that the chances of a vaccinated person will contract it is MUCH lower and the chances that they will spread it also. At the end of the day it is a statistical game and to have a bunch of vaccinated people together will be very much lower risk of causing a super spreader than doing the same with a bunch of unvaccinated people. That holds true even if you do a rapid test for everyone, because there will be a significant percentage of false negatives (up to 20 %) which will allow asymptomatic spreaders into the group. Altogether, the larger a part of the group that is immune or have been vaccinated, the lower the risk.

But the possibility is still there that it can happen, negates the protocols put in place a bit. Is it not already in the 80% vaccinated vs 20% unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated region?

Then the majority is fully vaxxed, with the 20% containing people with only one jab, or jabbed within the last 28 days? It improves the odds even further then.

I say it again, TEST ONE, TEST THEM ALL, then you have certainty only non infected riders take part, and due diligence was done.

Edited by Wannabe

To be fair, if someone makes it all the way around WITH covid…give that man a bells. Highly doubt it.

This is how it is being done all around the world with much bigger crowds. There were 70k people all partying and getting drunk at the Dutch GP a few weeks ago, weeks before that almost 100k at silverstone in England…AND they are mask free already. Entry requirement was proof of bei g fully vaxxed. Haven't read that any of them have been super spreaders yet. 

No vax, no entry works at this pount in time. Minimises risks, there is no such thing as 100% risk free.

edit: To that tune we should have all cought the bug last year at the ctct…in march..a few days before hard lockdown and the world going belly up.

Edited by MORNE

10 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

But the possibility is still there that it can happen, negates the protocols put in place a bit. Is it not already in the 80% vaccinated vs 20% unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated region?

Then the majority is fully vaxxed, with the 20% containing people with only one jab, or jabbed within the last 28 days? It improves the odds even further then.

I say it again, TEST ONE, TEST THEM ALL, then you have certainty only non infected riders take part, and due diligence was done.

Really the only way to eliminate the risk is to cancel the event. As others mentioned, its about managing & lowering the risk, not eliminating the risk.

42 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

You guys are aware that even fully vaxxed peeps can still contract this "infernal bug" as you call it? They are then full of false bravado and can then spread the virus as far as they go.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to test one, test them all. That way you are 100% certain that the event is not a spreader, and can you truly claim you have the best interest of all the entrants at heart. By testing only a few is also discriminatory. 

I heard the Cape Town Marathon is paying for the test of all the athletes at their registration. This is hearsay, but if true, that is the way it should be done. If they can afford it, surely the CTCT Trust can too. I mean, they have the surplus of the cancelled and shortened Tours of previous years.????

No use arguing with us buddy. Take your argument to DSC and CSA, they approved the risk mitigation protocols. 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

and having the test is also not a guarantee of negative.

My 6 year old is sitting in isolation in her room, sick as a dog with a fever that has not abated since monday. was tested on wednesday and it came back negative but I sure as hell think she has the 'Vid as the persistence and severity of the symptoms are not normal.

Anyone who has ridden the Cycle Tour route recently or part of it, have you encountered any danger zones in regards to potholes, road works etc. that we need to look out for? 

I know last year there was a couple bad ones that I did not know of before hand which would have been handy.

Edited by EJC

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

and having the test is also not a guarantee of negative.

My 6 year old is sitting in isolation in her room, sick as a dog with a fever that has not abated since monday. was tested on wednesday and it came back negative but I sure as hell think she has the 'Vid as the persistence and severity of the symptoms are not normal.

My monster in law ‘got it’ a few weeks ago. All the syptoms, even loss of smell and taste. Tested negative????

edit: all of us are fully vaxxed though, including her when she ‘got it’ No one else even got a tickle in the nose. Not even my 11month old.

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, EJC said:

Anyone who has ridden the Cycle Tour route recently or part of it, have you encountered any danger zones in regards to potholes, road works etc. that we need to look out for? 

I know last year there was a couple bad ones that I did not know of before hand which would have been handy.

The stretch before simonstown after black hill gets bumpier and bumpier every week

5 hours ago, Wannabe said:

There was a presentation by the CTCT at the recent PPA AGM. The costs of antigen tests was brought up, they said if CTCT were forced to pay for the testing, they could not afford it and they would have had to cancel the event. ☹️ The rules for vaxed verses testing were not drafted by CTCT, those were the terms they were required to meet to get permission for the event to go ahead. They did however hint that vaccination will likely be a pre-requisite to participation in the next CTCT, in March 2022 - this is the way the world is heading.

5 hours ago, Wannabe said:

SA have barely reached 14% fully vaccination, for the total population.   Possibly higher under those taking part in the CTCT.... would be most interesting to see the actual data from the entries ....

As for testing everybody .... from a total risk control point, YES.  Practically, we simply dont have the capacity to do PCR tests on that number of people in the days before the event.  At the height of the 3rd wave the Western Cape did not even test people under 40 (or 50?) with all the symptoms, simply because they did not have the capacity.

Thus it is down to "risk mitigation", not risk elimination.