Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

and having the test is also not a guarantee of negative.

My 6 year old is sitting in isolation in her room, sick as a dog with a fever that has not abated since monday. was tested on wednesday and it came back negative but I sure as hell think she has the 'Vid as the persistence and severity of the symptoms are not normal.

Damn thats hectic ,hope she feels better soon. On the positive side , kid who get it bunce back quickly and risk of death is very very very low for them. Its more the risk to the rest of the family and the psychological scarring ones needs to consider.

2 hours ago, i24 said:

There was a presentation by the CTCT at the recent PPA AGM. The costs of antigen tests was brought up, they said if CTCT were forced to pay for the testing, they could not afford it and they would have had to cancel the event. ☹️ The rules for vaxed verses testing were not drafted by CTCT, those were the terms they were required to meet to get permission for the event to go ahead. They did however hint that vaccination will likely be a pre-requisite to participation in the next CTCT, in March 2022 - this is the way the world is heading.

The conditions of participation as laid out by CSA will be enforced at all CSA sanctioned events till the state of disaster is lifted. When that will be is anynesguess but September 2023 is the most likely date so best get used to it or opt out of events

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness to both parties, vaxxed and unvaxxed, CTCT organizers should then refund all those who refuse to pay the R250 for the test and choose not to do the race as when their entry fees were paid, the compulsory antigen test or fully/partially vaxxed ruling was not in place! Legally(from what I've read) The organizers cannot keep the entrants money as the new rules were put in place AFTER the entrants had paid in full. The only risk of losing out on their entry fees were stated in the T&Cs.

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

SA have barely reached 14% fully vaccination, for the total population.   Possibly higher under those taking part in the CTCT.... would be most interesting to see the actual data from the entries ....

The results of the survey of participants vaccination status was also mentioned. I think they said of the 50% who had responded about 75% had been vaccinated (I can't recall the exact numbers).

I been vaccinated J&J but only 10 days ago. Also had covid 1 Aug. Now the extra cost of screening. I'm also told that you can test positive for covid up to twelve weeks afterwards. Me thinks I'm just gonna delay my flight plans by a week and weather allowing go sit on the beach for a week instead. Drink beers and eat pizza.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:43 PM, ouzo said:

I got j&j’d 13 sept. 10 October is precisely 28 days if you count 13/09 and 10/10.  That’s cutting it fine. 

I've sent them an email last night asking about this as there communication says more than 28 days before the event.

36 minutes ago, Seeker911 said:

I been vaccinated J&J but only 10 days ago. Also had covid 1 Aug. Now the extra cost of screening. I'm also told that you can test positive for covid up to twelve weeks afterwards. Me thinks I'm just gonna delay my flight plans by a week and weather allowing go sit on the beach for a week instead. Drink beers and eat pizza.

I’m sitting with the same challenge, tested positive for Covid in July and got my vaccine the past week. 

some of my family still tested positive after about 2 months since they had Covid even though they were as health easy can be. 

Flights and plans changed. I arrive Capetown 12 Oct. Gonna sit this one out. I foresee beer, pizza and wine farms in my future.

Edited by Seeker911

So I drive from Durban to Cape Town, pay for accommodation and have the test. If it is positive I cant ride even though there is a chance of false positives with these tests. Hmmmmm

2 minutes ago, kgscott said:

So I drive from Durban to Cape Town, pay for accommodation and have the test. If it is positive I cant ride even though there is a chance of false positives with these tests. Hmmmmm

False negatives are much more likely than false positives. If you test positive with the rapid test and you have no symptoms, then you re-test. Or you have a PCR test. Yes, it is possible to test positive for months after you had Covid, but again, it is pretty rare. Most will test negative shortly after their symptoms cleared up.

But yes, I do get the problem of the uncertainty, especially if you are not from Cape Town and you have to lay out a sizable chunk of cash to get here.

Flights, car hire and accommodation all booked and paid for this week. Just bike transport left. Any suggestions?

Joggies says sold out for single bikes, no info on tandems although I assume it's sold out regardless of the bike. I emailed them last week but they haven't responded. 

A ride for my bike doesn't have enough so isn't going. 

Any other options? 

40 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Flights, car hire and accommodation all booked and paid for this week. Just bike transport left. Any suggestions?

Joggies says sold out for single bikes, no info on tandems although I assume it's sold out regardless of the bike. I emailed them last week but they haven't responded. 

A ride for my bike doesn't have enough so isn't going. 

Any other options? 

You need to skip that flight and start peddling down now.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, FootballingCyclist said:

In all fairness to both parties, vaxxed and unvaxxed, CTCT organizers should then refund all those who refuse to pay the R250 for the test and choose not to do the race as when their entry fees were paid, the compulsory antigen test or fully/partially vaxxed ruling was not in place! Legally(from what I've read) The organizers cannot keep the entrants money as the new rules were put in place AFTER the entrants had paid in full. The only risk of losing out on their entry fees were stated in the T&Cs.

Don't  get it, how is your suggestion fair to the vaxxed?

With ChrisF on this, to test 17K people just to be fair to the unvaccinated seems to be a massive waste of money & resources.

11 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Don't  get it, how is your suggestion fair to the vaxxed?

With ChrisF on this, to test 17K people just to be fair to the unvaccinated seems to be a massive waste of money & resources.

The test is in the interest of of everyone's safety, Correct? Well how is testing only those who are not vaxxed safew for everyone when again, even if you ARE vaxxed you may still be carrying and may still contract the virus? If the CT trust feel that they need to then test only the unvaxxed, then that should be at the cost of the organizers as I'm sure it will not be more than 20% of the entrants or they should refund those who do not wish to pay the R250 for the test as again, when the guys paid their entry fee, the rule of being vaxxed was not in the T&Cs.

The whole point of taking the vaccination is to get the world back to normal again. Why should the vaxxed be treated the same way as the un-vaxxed or anti-vaxxers? The un-vaxxed and anti-vaxxers cannot have their bread jammed on both sides. Vaxxed > anti/un-vaxxed, period.