Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Mamil said:

The transition from lumo to the muted autumn colours or blacks or even the custom kit of a dc team is a big moment in a mamil's development and is correlated with a massive increase in shoe expenditure

We have a couple of simple rules that make marital life and harmony compatible and that's worked well for a few decades. Two of those rules are that I don't stick my nose into what her shoes cost and she does the same for bikes. Then one day, in passing conversation I told her how shocked I was at the cost of good cycling shoes ............... she laughed and said to go buy a pair immediately because that was a bargain .............. now I really have to force myself to look the other way every time I walk past an upmarket womens shoe boutique. ????

On 10/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, Neville Bailey said:

Pleasure.

Here's the video of my ride, with the Garmin telemetry overlay.

No I know why the times a exponentially slower in the later groups. No one seems to understand that riding in a bunch is the optimal way to go. 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, FootballingCyclist said:

I'll share a trick with you.

Put see through stickytape on your helmet and put the helmet sticker on the stickytape. After the race the stickytape peels off and leaves no paper or sticky marks behind.

I'm a bit OCD so I put the sticker upside down, then I cut the strips of stickytape and stick it to the back of the sticker(shiny side obviously) then cut the stickytape around the shape of the sticker and stick the sticker to my helmet. 

Dude do you want to upset the weight weenies? Those extra grams, ho my hat.

Guys, wats the understanding with dropping back some groups and the transition zones? Its a bit ambiguous. I try to imagine worst case scenario where lets say 5000 people end up in a specific group..which wouldn't be allowed? Or do we just do it as usual? Pitch up in the later group/zone where you want to start with friends?

D026DDD0-CFEC-4B9C-AB83-B8F103262E77.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Guys, wats the understanding with dropping back some groups and the transition zones? Its a bit ambiguous. I try to imagine worst case scenario where lets say 5000 people end up in a specific group..which wouldn't be allowed? Or do we just do it as usual? Pitch up in the later group/zone where you want to start with friends?

D026DDD0-CFEC-4B9C-AB83-B8F103262E77.jpeg

I asked this question yesterday, I was told just pitch up at any time after your start groups "window" and you will be allowed to start in any other bunch during their 3min window....

Doing a relaxed ride tomorrow. Weather will be great for a PB ride but I am well out of shape this year. So I will stop and have a rest at every second water point just enjoying the tour for what it really is about.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

We have a couple of simple rules that make marital life and harmony compatible and that's worked well for a few decades. Two of those rules are that I don't stick my nose into what her shoes cost and she does the same for bikes. Then one day, in passing conversation I told her how shocked I was at the cost of good cycling shoes ............... she laughed and said to go buy a pair immediately because that was a bargain .............. now I really have to force myself to look the other way every time I walk past an upmarket womens shoe boutique. ????

Yes. My mom's fetish for shoes was the cause for many fights between her and my dad and almost led to divorce. My dad had no sport or hobbies in which to sink his money into, instead just trying to keep the home's finances afloat while my mom did the spending.

25 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I asked this question yesterday, I was told just pitch up at any time after your start groups "window" and you will be allowed to start in any other bunch during their 3min window....

so business as usual then

3 hours ago, capediver said:

Looks like a peachy day on one side, a bit miff on the other....PS that Muizenberg cam has been driving me nuts, next time I get there, I'm taking a ladder to fix that camera angle.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 09.27.48.png

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 09.28.12.png

You do know that SurfLine has a live cam in Muizenberg now? The angle is banging... 

7 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

1 more sleep. Whoop whoop. Going for a short ride just now, I see it's cloudy again, hope it clears because I got wet yesterday so didn't have a proper ride. 

Had a few seasons on our ride to Melkbosstrand this morning as well. Rain and rain, then sunny while having coffee, then rain again. Now to clean the sand off my bike. Whooo...

17 minutes ago, HdB said:

Had a few seasons on our ride to Melkbosstrand this morning as well. Rain and rain, then sunny while having coffee, then rain again. Now to clean the sand off my bike. Whooo...

I decided to wait a bit and went out not long ago, just got back. A bit cloudy at times but luckily not really windy. Also a bit chilly. All in all nice weather to ride. 

Anyone know what happened at sea point? Saw plenty cops and cop cars and those massive riot truck things. Did see a few people standing around with protest boards but nothing to warrant the amount of cops. I rode passed like an hour ago. 

2 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Anyone know what happened at sea point? Saw plenty cops and cop cars and those massive riot truck things. Did see a few people standing around with protest boards but nothing to warrant the amount of cops. I rode passed like an hour ago. 

there have been regular anti-vax protests at Seapoint lately. About 100 or 200 folks standing around waving placards not really knowing what else to do...