Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

56 minutes ago, dev null said:

What an utter crap shoot that start process was. We were in 4E, was at the point 10 minutes before our start and we ended up starting with 5E. And there were lots and other 4E riders that started with us. SO it was either the process or the marshals at our shute were totally clueless.

I was going to drop a group from 3F to 4E to ride with some people off here and got told at the gate by a woman to bugger off to F, i wasnt allowed in..so i rode alone and in 4F lol. They sure were clueless at that gate

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting start for the 1 E Group, we arrived the 10min before the start as indicated on emails only to be told they have moved forward and we'll have to start with 2E. Obviously a bunch of worked up guys just jumped the line to join the rest of the 1E group after which the just let everyone through. 

Weather was amazing, pace was good but I punctured at the foot of Smitswinkel. Made a quick Tube change, if only The Red Bull team could see me, but after that the racing was over and could just enjoy the rest of the ride.

57 minutes ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Interesting start for the 1 E Group, we arrived the 10min before the start as indicated on emails only to be told they have moved forward and we'll have to start with 2E. Obviously a bunch of worked up guys just jumped the line to join the rest of the 1E group after which the just let everyone through. 

Weather was amazing, pace was good but I punctured at the foot of Smitswinkel. Made a quick Tube change, if only The Red Bull team could see me, but after that the racing was over and could just enjoy the rest of the ride.

Yes. Clearly the marshals at the E shute did not get the memo or were just not following instructions from management properly or did not understand them. If they do this again I will be there 30m before time, no matter what we are told. Lets just hope that in 5 months time we have a normal CTCT.

1 hour ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Yeah I also started in 1E. Got to the chute in time with a large group..decided to take a pee while we still had a bit of time, and I saw through the porty potty vents off they go! Had to rush to join them..

Probably the worst day I've ever had on the bike in any race.. the views, scenery and spectators were still awesome though!

Got seeded in 1C, but decided to do a relaxed tandem ride with my wife from 4F. She got a positive test(Not covid!) on Thursday, and the doc told her to rather not ride, so I decided to join some mates in 1E in the end.

Still struggling with on/off long covid symtoms since 5 Aug, and this my first real ride since then, I was quite shocked what damage it did to my body! In hindsight I shouldn't have ridden today. 

Ended up doing 3h49min, a solid hour longer than last year, but I suffered twice as much as then. Legs still felt allright, but my lungs and heart obviously not. My average HR was 176bpm over the almost 4hours even with just granny gearing at 5-6kmh up every climb today, started coughing badly around 50km mark, and still coughing now.

For many years I said that my fitness aim was to keep it at a level where I can jump on a bike any day of the year and go ride the CTCT route. Mind you, not race it, but ride it and finish it. Well, today I had to prove that big time! I decided to leave the fancy fast carbon bike at home and ride the 30 year old steel Eddy Merckx because it is the most comfortable of my bikes. Zero training done because of a long list of reasons (excuses). But one of the young Ds said he wanted to ride............and when your 21 year old son wants to spend a day on the bike with you, you better step up! That I did.

It was strange to start after sunrise. D had to wait for me a lot, I have to admit (10 minutes on Chappies alone), but we had an absolute blast of a day out there. Weather was PERFECT! Capetonians still came out to cheer! The vibe was EXACTLY what the Tour is famous for! Didn't even see a single crash! Wind was just about absent! That doesn't happen often. I can honestly say that I had fun all the way down to the Cape Point turn, but from there it was a case of preserving the legs all the way to the finish line, I won't say how long it took. That I am now a bit stuffed and don't want to even LOOK at my bikes usually comfortable saddle, is also true, but hey, I consider today the start of a new training block! (Where long slow steady distance is called for)

Oh, and this is the ONE year I can post pictures of what remains of team DJR!

2021-10-10 002.jpg

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

On a different note. I rode without sunglasses. Thought I just forgot to take them out. When I got back to the car…they were on the roof where i left them. A pair of oakleys nonetheless. Some faith in humanity restored lol 

Maybe CT. def not here 

48 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Oakley Kato.? ????

I don't ride in silly cycling goggles lol. A normal pair of sunnies lol.

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, dev null said:

Lady on the bus I rode on had a crash on the bumpy road after Smits. Pinerello frame broke into 2 pieces from the crash.

One very lucky lady that! I saw that crash and stopped to assist. I was expecting far more severe injuries and possibly a fatality! I think she was fine except for a cut on her finger! 

I know you may be disappointed or frustrated or disillusioned with your average speed, finishing time or VAM or ability to keep up with ‘them’ up Suikerbossie.

Be gentle with yourself. We have been through rough seas. If you have been able to make it to the start line and roll over the mat at Green Point Stadium, lucky lucky you. ????

4 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Interesting about the crashes. I didn't see a single one, which I thought was odd/impressive. 

I saw the medics giving someone CPR coming down Chapman peak (if I remember correctly). Does anyone know what happened and if he is okay? 

2 minutes ago, Vermooten said:

I saw the medics giving someone CPR coming down Chapman peak (if I remember correctly). Does anyone know what happened and if he is okay? 

Was that not just after 12 Apostles Hotel? There was a lot of action there with medics and someone being treated. That would have been around 12pm.

Just now, HenryS said:

Was that not just after 12 Apostles Hotel? There was a lot of action there with medics and someone being treated. That would have been around 12pm.

Yes you are right! About 11km from the finish around 12pm.