Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather wise one of the best - and I have done many.

Least amount of agro ever like none - unheard of.

But oh man it was so quiet - no chirping or badgering just silence

And not a single incident. (ok so one guy just fell over in the corner just after Miller's Point - he just fell over ???)

Edited by porqui

8 hours ago, porqui said:

Weather wise one of the best - and I have done many.

Least amount of agro ever like none - unheard of.

But oh man it was so quiet - no chirping or badgering just silence

And not a single incident. (ok so one guy just fell over in the corner just after Miller's Point - he just fell over ???)

Least amount of people from the rest of the country - ever? ???? haha

but yea, it was super chilled and now that you mention it…good attitudes all round. 

i spoke to a ballie in the parkinglot and this was his 36th. He ‘doesnt really train’ and ‘only does the CTCT’ respect. I was cruising around with two nr 21 jersey guys even though they have both done 29 and 28 respectively.

Edited by MORNE

Strategy outlined somewhere above to get as close to sub 3 as a mamil can may need some revision. Absolutely destroyed myself staying in top 20 riders of 1d and failed in sight of top of Edinburgh drive. 

Knew I was in trouble along the blue route and when my more prudent friends in the middle bunch of 1d caught me just before simonstown I started worrying about Jewbacca on that bmx. 

At misty cliffs the engine went into limp mode. On chappies, as punishment for taking myself too seriously, I was overtaken by 3 tandems and a singlespeed. 

Adopted a philosophical approach and resolved just to try enjoy the scenery.  Struck up a conversation with a guy called Neil doing his 36th in camps bay who reminisced about the days when it finished there. I think I wanted it to more than he did. 

Crept through to green point half an hour behind schedule.

No matter. A morning spent on my lovely bike in paradisical scenery on a beautiful day with a well done from a friendly Marshall who handed me an ice cold coke, a risotto for lunch...... 

But next time I'm changing the strategy. 

Agree that it was much quieter than usual. A strange and subdued atmosphere. And no aggression. Lots of good manners from other riders. 

16 hours ago, ouzo said:

What a ride!!!

started in 3A, goal was 3:40. 
Pushes it right from the start, by the time I got up Edinburo I had passed so many people I thought I was over cooking it. 
Hooked up behind @Matt all decked out with BikeHub kit on the blue route, I was giving it my all to keep up (story of my race) and when we climbed off the m3 I tried to take a turn up front but somehow dropped them. 

the rest of the race was basically me going full gas trying to hold onto groups. 
Just before chappies the legs gave me a “hey your pushing us” twinge. 
hit little chappies and could feel the onset so dialed it back a bit. 
had to dial it further back up suikebossie but then it was head down and full gas again to the finish. 

started my clock on the fun and did a 3:42, I am stoked. 

I was also there, got caught by the blue train on the blue route and kept thinking I owe the guy on the front a beer (so thanks @Matt). The group kinda broke up at Smits, so spent some solo time chasing and chatting with random people, and then at the top of Suikerbossie realised a sub 3h30 was on the cards so found another guy also from 3A and gunned it. Hardest part of the race for me was the downhill and flat part up to the end, but we made it with a minute to spare :)

Great vibe,  lots of fun and very happy with the result. Thanks CTCT organizers.

My worst and yet the best CTCT ever! We were part of the 1E mess and ended up in 2E... Everybody say hoopalah!! Already the mind told me you're running late and it's time to start chasing, motor blew just before hospital bend and then it was time to chase even more. Managed to fall in a bunch of guys and we were all working together nicely. Caught some of my friend at Misty Cliffs and decided to make it a fun ride. Cruised all the way back, stopped a few time and the COKE was divine!! Managed to between 3:30 - 3:40 and extremely happy with that. Awesome day out and money well spent. The vibe, the people, the riders... everything was perfect!

9 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

I was also there, got caught by the blue train on the blue route and kept thinking I owe the guy on the front a beer (so thanks @Matt). The group kinda broke up at Smits, so spent some solo time chasing and chatting with random people, and then at the top of Suikerbossie realised a sub 3h30 was on the cards so found another guy also from 3A and gunned it. Hardest part of the race for me was the downhill and flat part up to the end, but we made it with a minute to spare :)

Great vibe,  lots of fun and very happy with the result. Thanks CTCT organizers.

What kit where you in?

I was in the orange top

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

What kit where you in?

I was in the orange top

I was in mostly black Giant Alpecin kit - I'm pretty sure I remember you but have some mild memory loss due to that last push :)

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

I know you may be disappointed or frustrated or disillusioned with your average speed, finishing time or VAM or ability to keep up with ‘them’ up Suikerbossie.

Be gentle with yourself. We have been through rough seas. If you have been able to make it to the start line and roll over the mat at Green Point Stadium, lucky lucky you. ????

Yes. Thanks for helping me looking at it from a glass half-full viewpoint. At 55 with Asthma I am glad to still be here after this past year. In 5 months I will be back stronger, fitter and hopefully more healthy.

15 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Interesting start for the 1 E Group, we arrived the 10min before the start as indicated on emails only to be told they have moved forward and we'll have to start with 2E. Obviously a bunch of worked up guys just jumped the line to join the rest of the 1E group after which the just let everyone through. 

Weather was amazing, pace was good but I punctured at the foot of Smitswinkel. Made a quick Tube change, if only The Red Bull team could see me, but after that the racing was over and could just enjoy the rest of the ride.

i was in that group, didn't have the 10min buffer though! started with the many 1D and 1E people in 2D in the end. It was a bit of a mess, but i doubt they'll ever do this system again.

as for the crashes, i think this is the first time I've done it without seeing a single crash. Would be interesting to see the official stats but i reckon it could be 60/70% down on normal amounts. I guess the main reason was the lack of big groups and congestion. The usual entry limit normally only sees 32k start and about 30k finish. but that hasn't happened for a few years anyway. 

if you look at provisional stats, we had 15k entry limit and 11k finishers. that's way down

image.png.57e915bcc395391c0345b83acebffbde.png

1 minute ago, dev null said:

Yes. Thanks for helping me looking at it from a glass half-full viewpoint. At 55 with Asthma I am glad to still be here after this past year. In 5 months I will be back stronger, fitter and hopefully more healthy.

I had to sit this one out since I managed to break my ankle and now I have months of recovery ahead of me before I'm allowed to ride again. I'm 45 now, and I can share your frustration. At least you got to ride, and that's always a win in anyone's books. I am also aiming to come back meaner, leaner and stronger by the time March 2022 rolls around.

image.png.e2c8958e8b7ba4ec919a8be194aadb9e.png

here we have our ebike racer leader board.

well done to the gent in his late 60s who punished the course from 2D. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ebike is not street legal.

hardlines to the chap from 1B who must have been desperately looking to buy some spare Wh in houtbay getting that sub3 from group1B

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i was in that group, didn't have the 10min buffer though! started with the many 1D and 1E people in 2D in the end. It was a bit of a mess, but i doubt they'll ever do this system again.

as for the crashes, i think this is the first time I've done it without seeing a single crash. Would be interesting to see the official stats but i reckon it could be 60/70% down on normal amounts. I guess the main reason was the lack of big groups and congestion. The usual entry limit normally only sees 32k start and about 30k finish. but that hasn't happened for a few years anyway. 

if you look at provisional stats, we had 15k entry limit and 11k finishers. that's way down

What I find interesting is that they said they had 18k entries at end of the day... so that means 6k entries did not finish.. 

Think is once again someone not able to count ????

The E shute was still stuff up at 5E .. we were 20 minutes early and almost got stopped.  they people even pulled the ropes "through" us..  properly pathetic, but did not expect anything else.  

We manged our goal though,, get my wifey over the line (her first and last).   We all actually said how nice was with so few people on road, no agro shouting, no crashes (except for one guy not making corner, hope he ok).    And of course cuold not ask for any better weather!

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.e2c8958e8b7ba4ec919a8be194aadb9e.png

here we have our ebike racer leader board.

well done to the gent in his late 60s who punished the course from 2D. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ebike is not street legal.

hardlines to the chap from 1B who must have been desperately looking to buy some spare Wh in houtbay getting that sub3 from group1B

I saw quite a few very oversized riders passing me on E-Bikes. Hey, I did not even bother to complain to the heavens while I was suffering. I was just glad they were there and not sitting on a couch at home.