Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

On 10/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, MORNE said:

Also, i was embarrassed by the amount of non/not yet/anti vaxxers in the line at the rapid test. IMO if you got a yellow card at the gate…well you got a yellow card. Got the message? Lol

Conversely, I was proud of the amount of ‘plus sized’ peeps super exited for the event. Good on you. The real mvp’s.

I was embarrassed to have to stand in that line, even though I was fully vaxxed (my timing was just out, yesterday was 6 days post second pfizer dose and the requirement was 7 days). I got vaxxed at the first opportunity that I could, but I'm 32 and my age group was only allowed from 20 August (and I got my first dose on day 1). I suspect that a lot of the younger people in the queue were in a similar situation.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.e2c8958e8b7ba4ec919a8be194aadb9e.png

here we have our ebike racer leader board.

well done to the gent in his late 60s who punished the course from 2D. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ebike is not street legal.

hardlines to the chap from 1B who must have been desperately looking to buy some spare Wh in houtbay getting that sub3 from group1B

Interesting, if you see the start groups these people were in, did a lot better than the groups ahead of them. 

I thought eBikes were going to be like old ballies jamming around making the climbs easier. This is a little crazy. 

5A and 6C, 37km/h average... How many people did they pass with their broomstick handlebars? 

I think the only solution is having the eBike finish at the top of Signal Hill. :) 

35 minutes ago, Blouogies said:

Thank you so much, God was good. Really appreciate the support. Everything worked out perfectly on the day and am super stoked about the result. Thank you for all the well wishes.

P.s. I'm currently speaking to Cory Wallace from Canada and it seems like we going to team up for the Epic. He is currently the world 24hr World MTB champ so defnietly a powerhouse. Really looking forward to the challenge. I however might need some support covering a portion of the cost and will share details later. So if anyone are able to assist, I'll really appreciate it.

Well done to everyone finishing the CTCT and those that have improved there PB's as well as those that just did it for the first time. On the 2nd lap I started really late after doping control and podium ceremony. Only caught the back markers after Simonstown, Huge respect to them, as it was basically each person for him self and definitely not an easy day out for most of the field. 

Thanks again for all the messages and well wishes. You're all legends. 

Was great catching up with you out there!

3 hours ago, Edereese said:

My worst and yet the best CTCT ever! We were part of the 1E mess and ended up in 2E... Everybody say hoopalah!! Already the mind told me you're running late and it's time to start chasing, motor blew just before hospital bend and then it was time to chase even more. Managed to fall in a bunch of guys and we were all working together nicely. Caught some of my friend at Misty Cliffs and decided to make it a fun ride. Cruised all the way back, stopped a few time and the COKE was divine!! Managed to between 3:30 - 3:40 and extremely happy with that. Awesome day out and money well spent. The vibe, the people, the riders... everything was perfect!

Seems like D and E batch has this mix up and serious confusion.

Also meant to start 1D and ended up leaving with 2D as a result.

Lots of guys just decided to jump out of the closed chute anyway and move ahead to where they needed to be.

I eventually felt sorry for the ladies trying to manage the situation and receiving abuse from all directions.

1 minute ago, Chingy182 said:

Lots of guys just decided to jump out of the closed chute anyway and move ahead to where they needed to be.

I eventually felt sorry for the ladies trying to manage the situation and receiving abuse from all directions.

Yes, I was part of this mess as well. I was supposed to start in B, but I decided to drop back to start with 1D.

Our group got combined with 2D, and then they started us about 25 minutes late, after 2A, 2B and 2C. So the whole group was just passing the slower seeded groups in front of us the whole race. It was a real mess in D this year.

I felt bad for the poor ladies trying their best to marshall us, when they were getting (bad) instructions from from the central organisers.

18 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Interesting, if you see the start groups these people were in, did a lot better than the groups ahead of them. 

I thought eBikes were going to be like old ballies jamming around making the climbs easier. This is a little crazy. 

5A and 6C, 37km/h average... How many people did they pass with their broomstick handlebars? 

I think the only solution is having the eBike finish at the top of Signal Hill. :) 

An e-bike blasting past unmotorised riders struggling up Chappies is just rude. The least he could have done was offer a tow as compensation. 

I sort of think that a LOT of the issues at the start were due to the cyclists. 

Guys in the 7s, 8s, 9s all arriving hours early (despite being asked to roll in 10 minutes before the allocated time), clogging up all the choke points, trying to sneak into groups WAY before their allocated start etc....

I'm not saying that the system was flawless or the marshalls were faultless, but if people had just followed instructions and not been typical (as the world sees them) cyclists, things would have been a lot easier to manage.

On top of this, it didn't really matter. What a day! 2E or 3E, the sub3 probably wasn't going to happen, so the half sized field, amazing conditions and general radness of the event made all the minor gripes and moans seem pointless

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Guys in the 7s, 8s, 9s all arriving hours early (despite being asked to roll in 10 minutes before the allocated time), clogging up all the choke points, trying to sneak into groups WAY before their allocated start etc....

I'm not saying that the system was flawless or the marshalls were faultless, but if people had just followed instructions and not been typical (as the world sees them) cyclists, things would have been a lot easier to manage.

On top of this, it didn't really matter. What a day! 2E or 3E, the sub3 probably wasn't going to happen, so the half sized field, amazing conditions and general radness of the event made all the minor gripes and moans seem pointless

We had a 5A chommie sitting in the 1A chute tuning the Rotary uncle that he will just wait here till his start. 

19 minutes ago, pbp2007 said:

An e-bike blasting past unmotorised riders struggling up Chappies is just rude. The least he could have done was offer a tow as compensation. 

There was a race between an eBike and a roadie up Chappies, think the eBike was on eco mode as did not get to the fort!!

18 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yes, I agree. Passing through Lakeside I thought to myself what are people living around these areas to do if they only starting around 09h00 or later.

Initially, I was a bit upset at having to start in 2D, but resigned to the fact and not let that upset me too much.

Happy to see nobody from 1D did sub 3hours - got a PB in 3h27 and potentially I could have gone sub 3h20.

Not going to let 7 minutes stand in my way of happiness.

Just for fun, I downloaded the results as they are currently:

image.png.1dbcf1dc3da57eea58f287cdc8b5f8fb.png

I'll try and find my analysis docs from last year and do some comparisons when the results feel a little more final.

1 minute ago, dexterdent said:

Just for fun, I downloaded the results as they are currently:

image.png.1dbcf1dc3da57eea58f287cdc8b5f8fb.png

I'll try and find my analysis docs from last year and do some comparisons when the results feel a little more final.

Just goes to show that the average joes, hackers and bodgers mean way more to the tour than the pseudo pro amateur wannabees.

That also indicates a lot of non finishers... 

Checking out a few pics on the Cycle Tour's FB page yesterday brought back good memories of Argus in 2012, and there's a reason why I like to shop at Pick n Pay.

Maybe I'll ride it again one day.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

That M3 section was fun! I was stopping for a quick hello with family just after that to leave the party early. Overall the experience on the roads was great. Good vibes and breathing room. Although not great for the economics of the event, fewer riders on the road was very pleasant.

Seems like there were some varied start chute experiences. In the A chute it was all quite seamless aside from some queueing outside very early who clearly didn't read the memo. Compared to the usual scenario of waiting around in your pen for up to an hour this was easy and efficient! 

Hey Matt
Long time no speaky speaky
You well mate?

26 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

That is less than ideal. Feel for everyone in that situation.