Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

11 minutes ago, i24 said:

I am more worried about ones that look like this rather than normal bicycles with discreet "mechanical doping".

Watched the video

Besides the looks, how is this different to a normal ebike thats been "chipped"/derestricted. Yet they calling this a motorbike.

also you need a license for this......maybe theres the solution to ebikes - register and license the bike and the rider.

Edited by YaseenEnos

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, stringbean said:

Is it me or is the CTCT loosing its appeal?Not to us cyclists but to general population.Old days Lemmer live TV coverage,lots on social media.

Thus year very little.I know it was streamed but just not the same.

Loss of interest or just saving money?

I wouldn't use the last two years as a benchmark, this year especially. Covid has had a huge impact on turnout. And for a few of the very recent previous years there's just been bad luck - fires, wind, protest action.

In terms of appeal, I can only speak for myself, and that is to say I had a brilliant time and will keep coming back as long as it is possible. I can now see why my old man used to make the annual trip out to Cape town for the argus and why he bought a tandem solely so that he and my mom could ride it together.

13 minutes ago, i24 said:

I don't see how you can reign in ebikes without some kind of inspections. So what is the alternative? Do nothing until there is a nasty ebike related crash and they all get banned? Ebikes are not going away. So the ebike riders and ebike industry need to come forward with practical solution and the man power to make it happen.

gonna sound cold but we humans are our own worst enemy. We want to have our cake and eat it.

I would say let the growing crowd of ebikers lose on the course and cause havok and crashes...

perhaps then those reckless ones or cheating ones will be towed inline by everyone else 

18 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I wouldn't use the last two years as a benchmark, this year especially. Covid has had a huge impact on turnout. And for a few of the very recent previous years there's just been bad luck - fires, wind, protest action.

In terms of appeal, I can only speak for myself, and that is to say I had a brilliant time and will keep coming back as long as it is possible. I can now see why my old man used to make the annual trip out to Cape town for the argus and why he bought a tandem solely so that he and my mom could ride it together.

so are you building a tandem?????

I tried to catch a tow behind a tandem up a small incline at one stage but they just pulled away from me, then I see the motor on the rear wheel. 
Granted they would have pulled away regardless, but I was hoping for it to be slower. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

We started at 6:38 and had SE to Smits and then it stopped blowing just when it would have been nice

a case of the wind crying 'Murphy' not 'Mary'...????

There are photos on actionphotos already ;) Hilarious to see that there are 26 pages of photos from the top of chappies, just none between 8:22 and 8:36, just when I went through there ????????

45 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The dads and kids on tandems were out in force yesterday. It was so awesome. I have to wait 9 more years before my little dude is eligible. It gives me enough time to save up for one!

Just do it!

Riding tandem with my sons when they did their first one is something I treasure just as much as riding domestique for my father when he did his final one at age 80. Oh, and the few years in between when we did it as a three-generations-team.  Priceless stuff! I see another tandem in my future for the day when I cannot do it on my own anymore and my sons will have to captain for me. I'll pick that over an e-bike any time.

Edited by DJR

Just now, DJR said:

Riding tandem with my sons when they did their first one is something I treasure just as much as riding domestique for my father when he did his final one at age 80. Oh, and the few years in between when we did it as a three-generations-team.  Priceless stuff! I see another tandem in my future for the day when I cannot do it on my own anymore and my sons will have to captain for me. I'll pick that over an e-bike any time.

This is life!!! 

4 hours ago, Quagga said:

I did not like this e-bike thing

E-bike should start first and get out the way, not very funny when they come pass you close on a hill doing double your speed and close enough to feel their wind.

It has "unfortunately" given way too much speed to people who dont normally ride and hence has no idea on some road riding "unwritten rules"

I am for e-bikes giving more people access to the  CTCT but darn, can they just educate themselfs a tiny bit on overtaking not come past so close.

I'm also not a fan of the ebikes. There were the only blemish on what otherwise was a beautiful day out on the bike. 

Coming up Smitswinkel, there was a very unmannered guy on an ebike (I was about to say gentleman, but his behaviour was anything other than gentlemanly.) He was shouting at anyone getting in his way as he was trying to pass the non-motorised cyclists on the uphill. 

I'm not sure how they should be managed. Maybe once the CTCT has a separate 47km race, they can also look at separating out the ebikers to leave us to suffer on our own legpower on the hills without having middle aged man with a lekker vet boep and an attitude flying past. 

My most chilled Cycle Tour yet, Decided a while back this October Tour was going to be chilled affair. Hoped onto my coffee ride bike. Stopped in Scarborough for coffee and a cinnamon bun. That bun was awesome.. Watched a few groups past.  Then later on Chappies my bud insisted (cos he missed the first stop) I stop again in Hout Bay for coffee. Happy to  join as he was paying. That was the deal.

Loved the vibe. Even if muted this year when you racing in your group you never get to experience the vibe and catch a bit of it up Suikerbossie. Well was Hout Bay "Main Road" rocking. Soaked it up this year.

So slowest of my 25 Tours but certainly one of my favourites. 

4 hours ago, Quagga said:

I did not like this e-bike thing

E-bike should start first and get out the way, not very funny when they come pass you close on a hill doing double your speed and close enough to feel their wind.

It has "unfortunately" given way too much speed to people who dont normally ride and hence has no idea on some road riding "unwritten rules"

I am for e-bikes giving more people access to the  CTCT but darn, can they just educate themselfs a tiny bit on overtaking not come past so close.

I generally dont have an issue with it. However, sunday in tokai I have changed my mind. around 4 diff occasions I had ebikers blasting past me(right next to me) probably in turbo mode. I got a huge fright each time. I remember thinking that there should be some speed limit, however it is most likely pointless.

10 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

@Jewbacca please post a pic of the bike you were riding, some oke passed me up Chappies on a "almost BMX" type bike...

that was probably Nils from WoodstockCycleWorks

9 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

There we go!

To make the seatost almost long enough for me to sit and pedal I made a 20cm long insert, and epoxied 13cm into a 400m long seat tube and 7cm into a 20mm off cut of another seat tube. It worked like a charm except on the climbs where the combination of being just to short, the 145mm cranks and the fact that the 20 inch wheels carry almost no inertia meant it was easier to stand. 

I got a few epic tows and had such a blast.

After not being able to sit at all last year I was not going to do that again in a hurry!

Next up on the mini beast is a gravel gran fondo or some such as well as hopefully one of those cross cape or 500 series gravel tour rides. I'm going to kit it out with some frame bags.

ctct2021.jpg

ctct2021.jpeg

smaak that slammed stem bru