Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t get me wrong.I’m not looking at CTCT interest from cyclists point,of course it’s always going to be huge.

Its just if I look at social media,tv,newspapers there is virtually nothing.

Can understand why riders struggle to get some sort of sponsorship if there is nothing in social media or general lack of interest.

Just now, stringbean said:

Don’t get me wrong.I’m not looking at CTCT interest from cyclists point,of course it’s always going to be huge.

Its just if I look at social media,tv,newspapers there is virtually nothing.

Can understand why riders struggle to get some sort of sponsorship if there is nothing in social media or general lack of interest.

I dont think they wanted to make a too big a deal about it TBH to the general public. 

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Not sure if I have said it here or on discord, but we can all agree that Cape Town should host at least 4 Cycle Tours a year. Was so nice not having idiots who cannot drive on the road.

It's been so long since my previous road event that I almost stopped at the first red light I saw because I forgot the road was closed to traffic.

Just now, HenryS said:

It's been so long since my previous road event that I almost stopped at the first red light I saw because I forgot the road was closed to traffic.

I had to laugh, down chappies people were keeping to the left etc, was lots of fun!

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

I enjoyed having to dodge less people going up the early hills, I enjoyed not having to keep out of the way for so many people on the later hills.

I missed the big sound systems and cheerleaders at the many water points, but I still got to hear "Eye of the Tiger" many many times :)

Did not miss the crowds at the end, although for once I was not it a hurry to get out of there so would have been nice to grab a burger whilst I waited for some mates to finish.

Overall I think the organisers can pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Not sure how anyone is supposed to push over the last bit of Suikerbossie without the Virgin Active crew cheering you on, looking forward to that return!

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

in the year you turn 11, can do tandem stoker

the year you turn 13, can ride on your own.

back in the day, there was a junior school category, needed to be a team of four and best three times counted. many kids under the current age of 13 would be riding it.

As my daughter turns 9 this year, i potentially need to buy a tandem in the next 18 months.

My son is now 21 and he has already done 7. I started him when he was 13, so I have set him up well to do 21 and many more after that.

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

CTCT might have lost appeal this year. There's many reasons that would include;

• greatly lowered disposable income for the larger portion of the population
  • fewer riders coming down from upcountry
  • the required Covid testing caused quite a few no shows.
  • Some contracted Covid post entering and therefore were not in the appropriate health situation
  • cycling events overall has taken a knock in terms of entries due to the dire economic situation in SA, safety concerns
  • our long and wet winter has kept many off the roads and covid has kept them out of gyms, therefore lower fitness and uncertainty of the ability to finish the course.
  • Specialized recalled the SL7 so many may not have a bike to ride....

I also might be wrong here but the sharp end of the field has gotten stronger while the middle to back end of the field has gotten softer. There's far fewer  Sub3 this year and I'd need to work out the proportionality to compare to other years but there appears to be many who rode Sub3 last year who have fallen short this year indicating  a lower level of fitness across the cycling community in October rather than March.

Ja. Now please don't rub it in. I am already heartbroken that I had to climb on the bus exactly halfway in. ????

12 minutes ago, dev null said:

My son is now 21 and he has already done 7. I started him when he was 13, so I have set him up well to do 21 and many more after that.

Good stuff. I have some competition.