Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

10 minutes ago, Lifer said:

Anyone know why the route was diverted down Seacliff road by Bantry bay instead of the usual M6. This was late on. My wife freaked out as was pretty buggered by that point and ended up having to walk down as it was too tight and steep for her at that stage. Turned out there is a 7hr time limit to qualify for a result and we ended up 7:02 ... Bit of spilt milk for her, now unofficial, first attempt. Probably should have read the rules to see that there is a 7hr limit but we had assumed the cut-offs were the only issue and that any time limit would have been visibly shared alongside the cut-offs. Bit bleak but lesson learned.

7 hours. is plenty time for that route. i guess the city needs their roads back eventually.

do you stop at every physio stand and do jagerbombs to be pushing the cut-off like that?

image.png.96a9742dd6d5de3ee34db450e8a7e9d2.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

7 hours. is plenty time for that route. i guess the city needs their roads back eventually.

do you stop at every physio stand and do jagerbombs to be pushing the cut-off like that?

image.png.96a9742dd6d5de3ee34db450e8a7e9d2.png

Ha ha, a bit of everything. She wasn't sure of fitness so started way too slowly. Then had a bit of tech support along the way and a few short stops. In short though, were just cruising to make the cut-offs but weren't aware of the 7hr thing. Guess a bit hoodwinked thinking the last groups finish cutoff would be aligned to any time limit. Not sure why they made the detour though... Would have made it if a) had found and read the time limit in the race rules piece - but I'd suggest it is publicised next to the cut-offs too, b) not had the detour and gotten off the bike. It seemed a bit dangerous for the slowpo less confident and very tired folk at that time. There were a few that had to hop off and walk down whilst I waited at the bottom. But ja, there are some questions to self to pose too.

Made it down to CPT from Gangster's Paradise for the 3rd time but 2nd CTCT. The other one was THAT year everything and everyone blew away. It has been said many times already on the thread but what an absolutely incredible day. I've travelled a lot and lived abroad for a few years but when CPT puts on a show there's few cities in the world that can rival it's vibe and natural beauty. Having the privilege of racing our bikes around the peninsula on closed roads is just the cherry on the cake.

I had to do the COVID test due to still being up for my 2nd Phizer but that process was world class.

On race day I set off in 1B and the vibe in the bunch was generally quite cool. Put in a lot of effort and training during the cold winter months in Gauteng and was super chuffed to beat last year's 3:08 and come in on about 2:56. 

Also tjuned the Pure Savage dude for riding a "sh1tty" bike while I'm on the same... ???? Good laugh. 

The organisation was top class all round and I'll remember it as an epic day on the bike for a long time.

Wished I could've squeezed in a 2nd lap but had family commitments. Interestingly, I checked the 947 rules for this year and specific reference is made to 2nd laps not being allowed due to COVID restrictions. Was the 2nd lap at CTCT an official thing and did the rules perhaps state the same? I understood the large participation cycling event rules to be standardised considering the COVID reg requirements.

5 hours ago, DJR said:

Interesting, the discussion about what was different this year. This is what I saw Sunday:

• Definitely fewer people and more room to maneuver. I liked that because basically D and I did a ride of our own and never drafted anyone or joined a bunch at any time. Perhaps we took social distancing among 18000 people too seriously? (I decided to do that since my bad crash that was caused by an inexperienced rider that did something dumb and nearly cost me my life. Since then I only ride in a group with people I know and trust. Tough luck if it makes my CTCT slower and more difficult. I'll just have to start a new team DJR.)
  • The unusual start format was a bit difficult, but for a first try it actually worked.
  • I did not miss the Expo and liked how quick and easy the number collection was.
  • I think vaccination and negative Covid tests are here to stay, at least for another year or two. It certainly made me feel a bit more relaxed about Covid in my first real big crowd outing since the start of the pandemic. I could really say, afterwards, that I had absolutely minimal contact with people. I think that the organizers did well and I'm keen to see how it pans out afterwards. I'm sure the medics are doing interesting studies to track Covid after the Tour. 
  • Definitely far less aggression and a lot more goodwill out there. I'm not sure why this was. Perhaps the lower numbers? Perhaps the grumpies stayed away? Perhaps fewer Gauteng riders? (Just kidding you lot of Vaalies!)
  • Fewer old classic steel bikes, certainly in the groups where we rode. Perhaps the bike collectors (mostly older?) stayed away? I rode my 30 year old Eddy Merckx and usually I see many other old bikes all around, mostly ridden by proud owners who are always ready for a chat along the way. But not this year.
  •  I heard more Afrikaans than I can remember from any previous Tour. Perhaps that had something to do with there being a far bigger proportion of locals this year? Frankly, Afrikaans speakers make up a much bigger portion of the Western Cape and Cape Town than most people think. 
  • Almost zero internationals, although I heard French and Italian along the way. Yes, I know I heard the Italian going up Chappies, and by then I was also probably hearing voices in my head ........ 
  • More e-bikes than I expected, sommer many more e-bikes! They didn't bother us and I think they should be allowed to start wherever they are seeded. It will thin them out. Perhaps they will learn some manners and have sympathy with the likes of slowpokes sweating up the steep hills?
  • Also, many more gravel bikes. Some of them really good looking too.
  • The people of Cape Town are fantastic supporters and came out to cheer just about the same as for any other Tour. Perhaps the only part that was quieter than usual was down around Cape Point. The usual supporter spots like Wineberg hill and Suikerbossie were as packed as usual. The "mankini guy" of Simonstown is a diehard fan of the Tour.
  • I did not miss the lack of facilities at the finish because we do our own thing (usually a braai) anyway.
  • I was impressed that there were just as many marshalls, water points and traffic cops out there on duty compared to a normal year with full numbers. It did not feel like a "last minute, half baked" tour at all. 

This was my exact experience - I took my friends wife on a tandem while he took his daughter - my experience was similar to yours except I saw a fantastic array of steel classical mostly from SA  - we stopped for coffee, brunch and a beer and the goodwill and gratitude for being able to do this event was evident 

14 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

This was my exact experience - I took my friends wife on a tandem while he took his daughter - my experience was similar to yours except I saw a fantastic array of steel classical mostly from SA  - we stopped for coffee, brunch and a beer and the goodwill and gratitude for being able to do this event was evident 

It was a good surprise to see you as we hit Lakeside

Sorry I didn't stay to chat, I still had to get the sub4 in the bag and stop to see the family in St James!

You guys looked like you were having a jol. Tandems scare me, so I am in awe of you guys who can pilot them with little to no practice. 

I'm still stoked. The atmosphere was fantastic. I did also pass Schalk Burger (burger) and Schalk Britz who seemed to take up the whole road 2 abreast and were attracting a lot of attention. They had the widest grins and were balls deep bantering with the rugby fanboys which was great to see

2 hours ago, TheDogShow said:

Made it down to CPT from Gangster's Paradise for the 3rd time but 2nd CTCT. The other one was THAT year everything and everyone blew away. It has been said many times already on the thread but what an absolutely incredible day. I've travelled a lot and lived abroad for a few years but when CPT puts on a show there's few cities in the world that can rival it's vibe and natural beauty. Having the privilege of racing our bikes around the peninsula on closed roads is just the cherry on the cake.

I had to do the COVID test due to still being up for my 2nd Phizer but that process was world class.

On race day I set off in 1B and the vibe in the bunch was generally quite cool. Put in a lot of effort and training during the cold winter months in Gauteng and was super chuffed to beat last year's 3:08 and come in on about 2:56. 

Also tjuned the Pure Savage dude for riding a "sh1tty" bike while I'm on the same... ???? Good laugh. 

The organisation was top class all round and I'll remember it as an epic day on the bike for a long time.

Wished I could've squeezed in a 2nd lap but had family commitments. Interestingly, I checked the 947 rules for this year and specific reference is made to 2nd laps not being allowed due to COVID restrictions. Was the 2nd lap at CTCT an official thing and did the rules perhaps state the same? I understood the large participation cycling event rules to be standardised considering the COVID reg requirements.

Ah, that was me with the shitty bike. 

I was still in a mood about my puncture. :D

I've been thinking about this damn sub 3 bee I've had in my bonnet and I just want to formally register that I think it's appalling  that not one of the other 1d muppets who dropped me on Edinburgh managed to get it done. 

Honestly the way they scorched it up the on ramp and then smashed it up to hospital bend you'd swear they were aiming for 2.45 but to make me do 135 percent ftp for far longer than is healthy for a mamil, drop me, and then NOT manage a sub 3. WTF

It's poor form and bad manners. 

We all wanted sub 3. We should have had a quiet word while waiting and agreed on a better pacing strategy. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I've been thinking about this damn sub 3 bee I've had in my bonnet and I just want to formally register that I think it's appalling  that not one of the other 1d muppets who dropped me on Edinburgh managed to get it done. 

Honestly the way they scorched it up the on ramp and then smashed it up to hospital bend you'd swear they were aiming for 2.45 but to make me do 135 percent ftp for far longer than is healthy for a mamil, drop me, and then NOT manage a sub 3. WTF

We all wanted sub 3. We should have had a quiet word while waiting and agreed on a better pacing strategy. 

I also started in 1D and no one wanted to work, I remember things starting very differently and it was very slow up until Edinburgh drive. There were maybe 3/4 guys on the front the whole ride.

Very frustrating not getting the sub 3!

My 6th Tour. I started in 3A at 7.04am, based on my CTCT 2020 time of 3hr 43min, but I certainly did not deserve to be in such an early batch, as my fitness level had dropped quite a bit since then, and I had put on a few extra kg's! I aimed for a modest 4hr 30min, and achieved 4hr 19min, so I was happy in the circumstances.

The weather conditions were perfect, and the crowd support was fantastic, in spite of the pandemic.

18 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Wife got a push up suikerbossie a couple of years back and finished without her phone. 

A few years ago my wife asked the person handing out medals at end of 947 to put it  into her jersey pocket . Later discovered her phone was missing from that pocket.

Opportunistic shopping vs Planned ones on Suikerbossie and Malibongwe

13 hours ago, Mamil said:

Next year MAMIL in the chutes chatting to 1D. 

342629872_inthechutes.jpg.c39ae4c5ce8f639278d34f9f0196fc56.jpg