Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

17 hours ago, Lifer said:

Ha ha, a bit of everything. She wasn't sure of fitness so started way too slowly. Then had a bit of tech support along the way and a few short stops. In short though, were just cruising to make the cut-offs but weren't aware of the 7hr thing. Guess a bit hoodwinked thinking the last groups finish cutoff would be aligned to any time limit. Not sure why they made the detour though... Would have made it if a) had found and read the time limit in the race rules piece - but I'd suggest it is publicised next to the cut-offs too, b) not had the detour and gotten off the bike. It seemed a bit dangerous for the slowpo less confident and very tired folk at that time. There were a few that had to hop off and walk down whilst I waited at the bottom. But ja, there are some questions to self to pose too.

I dunno. if you're going to be pushing time limits you need to do the homework. It's pretty explicit really. 

2.11. Riders are required to complete the Cycle Tour course within 7 (seven) hours to be awarded a result and finishing certificate unless the event organisers determine otherwise. This time is calculated from the time the rider crosses the start line. For riders’ safety and in line with the requirements of the City of Cape Town a number of cut-off points have been established along the route. Times and locations of these cut-off points will be available on www.capetowncycletour.com prior to the event date. If riders reach a cut-off point at or after the specified time, they may not be permitted to continue on the route and the rider and his/her bicycle will be removed from the course and transported back to the finish venue. The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust have been granted exclusive rights to utilise the course road space for the duration of the event by the City of Cape Town and until such time that the roads have been reopened by the City of Cape Town’s Traffic department, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust will have full control of the Cycle Tour route.

BUT you have a very good point wrt to the Queen's road not being used. I've never heard of them sending people down seacliff, the official road closure booklet says Queens is closed till 17h45. I think if you give it a week, put together a well formulated letter with these facts, a sprinkling of sob story they might well give you the official finish. It's worth a shot, they are not complete monsters. I'm still trying unsuccessfully to get them to recognise my 1998 finish when they cocked it up as it was the first time they did digital timing.

talking of rules. they will have plenty of evidence of this being done

2.19. A rider may not start or attempt to start before his/her designated start time. Any rider who does so may be disqualified.

special shout out to the bikebros in ITALIA kit from ??2E?? who dropped more fbombs than john vlismas standing on lego in the dark.

2.15. A rider may not use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

I also started in 1D and no one wanted to work, I remember things starting very differently and it was very slow up until Edinburgh drive. There were maybe 3/4 guys on the front the whole ride.

Very frustrating not getting the sub 3!

Were you one of the 3/4 guys?

18 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I dunno. if you're going to be pushing time limits you need to do the homework. It's pretty explicit really. 

BUT you have a very good point wrt to the Queen's road not being used. I've never heard of them sending people down seacliff, the official road closure booklet says Queens is closed till 17h45. I think if you give it a week, put together a well formulated letter with these facts, a sprinkling of sob story they might well give you the official finish. It's worth a shot, they are not complete monsters. I'm still trying unsuccessfully to get them to recognise my 1998 finish when they cocked it up as it was the first time they did digital timing.

talking of rules. they will have plenty of evidence of this being done

special shout out to the bikebros in ITALIA kit from ??2E?? who dropped more fbombs than john vlismas standing on lego in the dark.

I see a lot of people started far ahead of their groups, a few sub 3's on racetec and 3:45 on strava. I feel for the poor uncle at the entrances trying to explain that A is not the important part but the 5 vs 1 on the number.

16 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

I was indeed, interesting to hear @Mamil’s feedback ????

then you have full permission to blast the wheelsuckers!

In my limited experience, you only need about 10 guys working niceley to get a fish and chips bunch moving nicely through the M3/main road. Anymore and it gets a mess. You will have okes hanging on, saving their powder for smitswinkel climb. it is fine, they can take the draft but they must NOT screw over the okes doing the work. if a guy has done a big turn, give him a gap in 10th/12th wheel. The front of the bunch is for okes actually pulling.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, MORNE said:

so are you building a tandem?????

Not a flipping chance. This was the event where my "riding partner" worked out how much easier drafting makes your life. We joined a biggish bunch going towards muizenberg and she was amazed by that we could chug along at 35kph without too much effort. So if I get a tandem I reckon she wont even pedal.

17 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I see a lot of people started far ahead of their groups, a few sub 3's on racetec and 3:45 on strava. I feel for the poor uncle at the entrances trying to explain that A is not the important part but the 5 vs 1 on the number.

i was in the D/E fiasco. the poor tannie with the rope was shouting something and getting rather irate. but the horse had bolted already. my feeling is the music was too loud, there was no feedback to the marshalls when it went pear and the actual start/announcer was all the way down the line oblivious to what was going on.

I think they will still be sorting through the groups, but currently there are only 110 people from 1D. rest of the groups were 270 odd.

I also do like the way you can pick your gender at the Argus. you can be an XY Male, an XX Female, or, under the current circumstances you can choose your gender to be a Tandem

image.png.57a509e444207dad3c60bf4186792cf3.png

2 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I wonder what the instruction was to the volunteers at the chutes. I specifically rode up to the omie at 1A, he asked if I was 1A, I said yes. But he didn't seem super concerned about checking the number on my bike, my back or that my chip was on, unlike normal years.

And I was on my own. There is no way those few people could possibly have checked the next mob's numbers.

1 minute ago, HdB said:

I wonder what the instruction was to the volunteers at the chutes. I specifically rode up to the omie at 1A, he asked if I was 1A, I said yes. But he didn't seem super concerned about checking the number on my bike, my back or that my chip was on, unlike normal years.

And I was on my own. There is no way those few people could possibly have checked the next mob's numbers.

The thing is, we are adults. We were given a set of instructions to follow. Had we, collectively as adults, followed said instructions, this would be a moot point. BUT..... da da daaaaammmm.... No.

Evidently people cannot self govern something as easy as when to arrive, how to be honest, when to start and how not to blatantly just do what suits them regardless.

I hate to say it, but this exact conversation is why 'cyclists are the worst' globally. They can't even follow simple rules and instructions put in place just for them.

????

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

i was in the D/E fiasco. the poor tannie with the rope was shouting something and getting rather irate. but the horse had bolted already. my feeling is the music was too loud, there was no feedback to the marshalls when it went pear and the actual start/announcer was all the way down the line oblivious to what was going on.

Like I said in a previous post, I really started to feel sorry for the tannie having to take quite a lot of abuse.

The more time I've had to reflect on the fiasco, the more I remember how adamant she was on only 300 cyclists allowed through at a time.

Not sure how she managed to keep track of 300 D riders and 300 E riders coming through and manage to keep a good headcount of it all.

Only 110 riders ending up in 1D kinda sums it up.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The thing is, we are adults. We were given a set of instructions to follow. Had we, collectively as adults, followed said instructions, this would be a moot point. snip

????

thank you sir for using this correctly.

to the rest of you 'mutes'...that is all thanks.

????

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Someone kept telling me that his mate had won his age group at the Argus a few times.

Did not have the heart to tell him so had my mom!

1428468051_Arguswinner.JPG.d9e04fdbea8175f6cc3b1b76d4259d00.JPG

damn dude your mom be kicking my butt.

But that where I want to be, old toppie riding these "races" and kicking butt

Well done to your mom