Jump to content

Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021


Chingy182
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Spot on. At WT races you don't see Caleb Ewan sprinting to the finish line and then the next day they say he was relegated to 10th because 9 other riders rolled over the line 15secs after him at the start so their times are faster.

CTCT is not a race, its a funride..   the "other event" on the same day for the elites is though .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

Wonder if they going to enforce the mask rule for bunch riding..... (as far i'm aware this is still a thing)

I can already see one large f-up with whole rolilng start thing, but might be surprised , but i'm not going to stress about it and starting nice and late with the socialist

At the sportive the bunches were too big, So they spilt the bunches up basically just by a marshall walking in the middle splitting the bunch up "evenly" where he saw fit. So if you were racing hoping to better your seeding and all the faster guys were  in the first split and you in the last split, It would be proper tough to get back to their bunch especially if they set off fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ouzo said:

[comic sans]

its the world cup dammit, it is not a race, it is THE race.

[/comic sans]

Everything is a race haha, someone will get it done before the person behind them.😈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

CTCT is not a race, its a funride..   the "other event" on the same day for the elites is though .  

When did the first bike race in history start?
When the second bike arrived.

Make no mistake.
Your time will be measured and judged by all...............😂

Edited by Spinnekop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the mat to mat format. It removes the benefit of crowding to the front of a start group and makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere. The cyclosportif worked very well and showed that a funride can be held while respecting covid 19 protocols.

The racing categories (elite, sub-vet, vet, etc) have never been decided on time. There are either cameras or spotters to see who crosses the line first, second and third.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cvancoillie said:

I prefer the mat to mat format. It removes the benefit of crowding to the front of a start group and makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere. The cyclosportif worked very well and showed that a funride can be held while respecting covid 19 protocols.

The racing categories (elite, sub-vet, vet, etc) have never been decided on time. There are either cameras or spotters to see who crosses the line first, second and third.

don't people just crowd at the back then?

 

 

ok i got the email guys you can stop sending it

image.png.980d832e052177ad4f423ed2b7d8e3db.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Spot on. At WT races you don't see Caleb Ewan sprinting to the finish line and then the next day they say he was relegated to 10th because 9 other riders rolled over the line 15secs after him at the start so their times are faster.

 

Caleb Ewan isn't racing a sportif event, he's racing A UCI sanctioned event with diffferent timing rules in place.  Sportif does not and cannot abide by the same rules or timing since it is supposed to be an individual start and finish TT event by definition in order to comply with Covid restrictions. Its either that or they reduce the "bunch sizes to less than 40 and host it under WPCyling. Remember that races can only happen under WPcyling and not PPA.....or maybe we've all forgotten what Lockdown level 2 means (hence we going to level 3 tomorrow)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

 

Caleb Ewan isn't racing a sportif event, he's racing A UCI sanctioned event with diffferent timing rules in place.  Sportif does not and cannot abide by the same rules or timing since it is supposed to be an individual start and finish TT event by definition in order to comply with Covid restrictions. Its either that or they reduce the "bunch sizes to less than 40 and host it under WPCyling. Remember that races can only happen under WPcyling and not PPA.....or maybe we've all forgotten what Lockdown level 2 means (hence we going to level 3 tomorrow)

 The Sportive was held under PPA and not WP cycling as they are 2 separate organizations. WP cycling are still running their winter league races actually as per usual and I can promise you that the bunches are way bigger than 40 people. 

 

And I was actually in agreement with the "gun to mat" type timing as used at CTCT which as far as I'm aware is a UCI sanctioned event, or am I wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

 The Sportive was held under PPA and not WP cycling as they are 2 separate organizations. WP cycling are still running their winter league races actually as per usual and I can promise you that the bunches are way bigger than 40 people. 

 

And I was actually in agreement with the "gun to mat" type timing as used at CTCT which as far as I'm aware is a UCI sanctioned event, or am I wrong? 

I think we're mixing up designed intents to enable 'racing' to take place while racing is happening for the purpose of Olympic qualification.

Rollback a year where no sporting events where allowed. SASCOC made representation to NDZ around allowing Olympic qualifying events to continue under strict rules to allow professional sports persons to prepare for Tokyo.
Righty ho they got that right and the provincial bodies resumed the organising of events that would enable their sportspersons to ply their trade and get on with the business of Olympic qualification. These events traditionally attracted far fewer entries and generally only from the cream of the crop

 

But wait no PPA events were happening so fun riders suddenly found themselves teleported to the start of WPCycling winter league events.

PPA saw this happening and figured no way are you bureaucratic oafs stealing our action so they made representation to the minister for a small team event taking place in little town in the southern Cape.

Hooray a huge success and a viable template was now a proven recipe but how to translate that to sportif events since you now, this market isn't exactly going to the Olympics. For that you need to be aligned to national sponsored and mandated body and its affiliates which in the cycling space was business as usual since up to 250 people were allowed.

PPAs problem of course is popularity..
One
thousand participants isn't going to cut it through the disaster management act legislation at any lockdown level.

So to make it work the start procedure needs to appear to be adhoc and random while in reality it's still a mass start.

 

Right or wrong? You decide.

However the business of sportifs is big for charities supported by the cycle tour Trust and therefore continuity of the events is important to maintain the funding stream.

So there you have the need for the mat to mat timing, mainly for appearances because as you may have experienced the reality isn't very different from the past

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I am double booked for the weekend of the CTCT. I have an entry available. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

you have more than one engagement booked for the second half of the year?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

you have more than one engagement booked for the second half of the year?!

They Moved the Tusker run from this week to that week...... I too am double booked and choose running......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

They Moved the Tusker run from this week to that week...... I too am double booked and choose running......

you better stay away....you aren't allowed on anything other than a BMX anyway....and since you don't own one anymore...

TSEK!

😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout