So, what is the best road training tyre?

mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

A happy Monday to all. Congratulations to all who finished the CTCT 2020, and to those who achieved PBs, well done!

To those who came short, I wish you all a speedy recovery.

Back to the matter at hand, what, in your opinion, is the best outdoor road training tyre? I've been using Conti GP4000 SIIs for a while now, and they haven't let me down too much. Roads in the South are shocking at best, so my tyres have got more cuts and pinches than I care to count. 

Common wisdom dictates that Gatorskins (Hardshell or not) is your best bet, but the ride is very hard. Conti tyres are prone to side wall deterioration, more than I've seen from any other OEM. 

What's your opinion?

Still think gators are the best. The ride is hard, but not close to unacceptable and considering the ratio of chance of cuts or issues vs chance of ride being ruined because of harshness is a nonissue.

They make sense best when they're sold on special and not 700 bucks a pop...

Have put on around 4500km on GP5000's, and had 1 puncture  in the time, due to a cut on the sidewall :ph34r:

I would go for the 5000 over the Gators, ride is much better and seems they hold up very well from all reviews online.

I have used the Gatorskins & then GP4000 for a number of years. I found Gatorskins are not very comfortable & GP4000 were great but I did get more punctures. After looking around I found the Continental GP 4 Season which I have had on both my road bikes for about 18 months and I have had 1 puncture in that time. 

https://road.cc/content/review/269249-continental-grand-prix-4-season

The 25mm is currently on sale through Evobikes

(https://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/continental-grand-prix-4-season-25mm.html

If you've got 2 wheelsets then go for GP4000s on your training wheels and GP5000s on your race wheels. If not then go for the GP5000s, they are beyond awesome!!!

Having ridden for many many years on gatorskins I’m now on Pirelli Cinturato. I could not be happier.

I’ve now realized I was never confident in the grip of the gators, always slowed for turns etc. with the Cinturatos I’m far more confident. Loved them on yesterday’s ride.

Ride comfort is amazing, grip is amazing. I’m converted.

Oh and they are rated better at puncture protection than gators with a lower rolling resistance.

Edited by ouzo

I used to ride on the 23mm Gatorskin with a pressure of 8.5 bar to prevent pinch flats. 

Two years ago I switched to the 25mm Gatorskin and reduced the pressure to 5.5 bar. 

The ride is remarkably softer and no punctures to date. 

Fillings don't rattle loose anymore  :thumbup:

Lots more grip in the corners and confidence up a lot.

Lots of life still in them.

Racing prefer the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

I rode on both Gatorskins and Hardshells for a few years because on whatever el-cheapo tyres I had previously got lots of punctures. I was young and inexperienced and listened to what a more seasoned friend told me.

I got very few punctures and the tyres held up well, especially the hardshells. They survived some nasty stuff (I was commuting on the bike and went places I probably shouldn't have).

Grip was OK in the dry, I wasn't terribly brave (still am not). Wet grip was atrocious, as has been mentioned already. I got caught in afternoon thundershowers in Pretoria occasionally, and I had to ride very carefully not to lose grip.

I'm currently looking to get my road-bike back on the road, and need new tyres, so I'm interested in what's been suggested. I might shell out for GP5000s as well, if they're as solid as described here.

Good morning Hubbers!

A happy Monday to all. Congratulations to all who finished the CTCT 2020, and to those who achieved PBs, well done!

To those who came short, I wish you all a speedy recovery.

Back to the matter at hand, what, in your opinion, is the best outdoor road training tyre? I've been using Conti GP4000 SIIs for a while now, and they haven't let me down too much. Roads in the South are shocking at best, so my tyres have got more cuts and pinches than I care to count. 

Common wisdom dictates that Gatorskins (Hardshell or not) is your best bet, but the ride is very hard. Conti tyres are prone to side wall deterioration, more than I've seen from any other OEM. 

What's your opinion?

Anything heavy and cheap.  Normally a wire bead 25mm at ± 350g.  This normally boil down to a Conti Sport or similar.

This, together with a lekker thick butyl tube, and a bit of slime, keep the punctures at bay.

Pressure - anything from 4.5 to 6 Bar