Can we claim after a crash? (CTCT)

Lynnae

I was involved in one the ctct crashes yesterday and was wondering if there is anyway us riders can claim back for some damages from the event?

Medical expenses, torn bibs, shirts, broken bikes etc. Etc.

Has anyone done this or do we just suck it up and move on?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was involved in one the ctct crashes yesterday and was wondering if there is anyway us riders can claim back for some damages from the event?

When you entered to ride you also agreed to a CTCT waiver and indemnity https://www.capetowncycletour.com/waiver-and-indemnity/

Your broken bike and clothing you should be able to claim off your insurance if such items are insured.

Edited by shaper

THIS is the reason why insurance/medical aid premiums etc are going through the roof.  People do not take any responsibility for themselves and always try to shift blame - or try to claim for accidents - that is in most cases only an accident.  We see it everywhere in society...sport/school/public events.

you will only be able to claim if you can proof the orginizers were negligent or knew about danger and not done anything to resolved it.

Indemnity is only valid if organizers did all he could to make sure its safe(there been tons of lawsuits won even with indemnity especially in the flying world)

Just one mention: https://ewn.co.za/2020/01/20/lawyer-indemnity-forms-invalid-if-schools-are-negligent

THIS is the reason why insurance/medical aid premiums etc are going through the roof. People do not take any responsibility for themselves and always try to shift blame - or try to claim for accidents - that is in most cases only an accident. We see it everywhere in society...sport/school/public events.

A little overcaffeinated this morning?

????????‍♂️

Can we talk about how people are still MENTAL and pass you on the left especially when descending. Or there will be like 20cm between you and someone else and someone will cut through this. I feel there definitely is a need for education for riders on simple etiquette on the road especially during massive races like this one. Maybe this will help our insurance premiums to go down...

THIS is the reason why insurance/medical aid premiums etc are going through the roof.  People do not take any responsibility for themselves and always try to shift blame - or try to claim for accidents - that is in most cases only an accident.  We see it everywhere in society...sport/school/public events.

One could argue that the paying insurance/medical premiums is so that you DO claim after you have an accident and don't have to worry about financial implications on top of injury or loss... What exactly are you expecting people to claim for?

Was this possibly on the blue route? Group 2b/c?

If it was, when we caught them I still said to a mate, l see **** happening here the bunch is too big and there mix of slow and fat riders is a bad thing. 30 secs later, I just manged to bunny-hop onto the pavement and avoid a lot of carnage.

That was defiantly not anything to do with organisers.

Can we talk about how people are still MENTAL and pass you on the left especially when descending. Or there will be like 20cm between you and someone else and someone will cut through this. I feel there definitely is a need for education for riders on simple etiquette on the road especially during massive races like this one. Maybe this will help our insurance premiums to go down...

Not really, you are on your bike minding your business and someone passes you, simple. The road is closed so they can ride where they want. As long as they do NOT ask/shout at you to hold your line all is good. 20cm is a lot of space, dam even 5mm is a lot.

It was 2b/c yes

Agreed, no fault of the organizers - do think the bunches were a bit big though.

I was hoping sticking to the right would save my bacon if something happened but the crash was so big few were spared.

This was my first and hopefully last time eating asphalt.

Now to go find a new helmet :)

I passed a few people on the left yesterday cause they were not going very fast, if I were going that slow I'd stick much closer to the left of the road there leaving more space for faster riders. 

It was 2b/c yes

Agreed, no fault of the organizers - do think the bunches were a bit big though.

I was hoping sticking to the right would save my bacon if something happened but the crash was so big few were spared.

This was my first and hopefully last time eating asphalt.

Now to go find a new helmet :)

Glad you are OK after the fall. remember, it wont be your last.