Can we claim after a crash? (CTCT)

Lynnae

its because people dont stay left so that they can be passed on the right. because who are you to tell me where to ride/drive/cycle? you see this on K2C, on the freeways while driving, everywhere. I can walk where I want to... that is the problem.

Can we talk about how people are still MENTAL and pass you on the left especially when descending. Or there will be like 20cm between you and someone else and someone will cut through this. I feel there definitely is a need for education for riders on simple etiquette on the road especially during massive races like this one. Maybe this will help our insurance premiums to go down...

Edited by gemmerbal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it's fine for the OP question without a pile on about people not taking ownership, snowflakes and the rest. 

There might have been a story behind it or it might have been someone who did ti for the first time and was looking to find some info. 

It was 2b/c yes

Agreed, no fault of the organizers - do think the bunches were a bit big though.

I was hoping sticking to the right would save my bacon if something happened but the crash was so big few were spared.

This was my first and hopefully last time eating asphalt.

Now to go find a new helmet :)

And there is the problem - you were sticking to the right - that is where the passing should happen.

2B/C groups were a mess.

Nobody knew what they were doing and all over the show.

The crashes that happened were inevitable.

Comment I got after shouting "keep left pass right" was "we all want to get to the finish line !!! "

Not a minute later and the guy that shouted at me connected with plenty of asphalt and gravel with a number of others

And then a very nasty crash just after the ostrich farm with plenty down some serious.

The issue is that people do not know how to ride in bunches - where would they learn it from?

The forming of a proper peloton and working together does not exist anymore either.

While this is going. What's the law on looking for compensation from riders causing crashes? Part of the waiver too?

On a side note to that bike insurance always has a big song n dance about the personal liability cover they give. I'm wondering if anyone has ended up in a situation where that has been needed and could it apply to a race situation? I'm guessing that might be more for a pedestrian strike etc. 

While this is going. What's the law on looking for compensation from riders causing crashes? Part of the waiver too?

I imagine you would have to prove will full intent to do harm on the part of the rider causing the crash?

And there is the problem - you were sticking to the right - that is where the passing should happen.

2B/C groups were a mess.

Nobody knew what they were doing and all over the show.

The crashes that happened were inevitable.

Comment I got after shouting "keep left pass right" was "we all want to get to the finish line !!! "

Not a minute later and the guy that shouted at me connected with plenty of asphalt and gravel with a number of others

And then a very nasty crash just after the ostrich farm with plenty down some serious.

The issue is that people do not know how to ride in bunches - where would they learn it from?

The forming of a proper peloton and working together does not exist anymore either.

May I suggest they join our commute group where we have plenty of riders in close confines with oncoming cycling traffic, runners, dogs, broken glass, etc ..... recon we may be able to field the tightest peleton out there .... would make those "Savages" look like Noobs!

Now to go find a new helmet :)

Check the crash replacement policy of your brand. You could get up to 60% (or so) discount off a new one.

THIS is the reason why insurance/medical aid premiums etc are going through the roof.  People do not take any responsibility for themselves and always try to shift blame - or try to claim for accidents - that is in most cases only an accident.  We see it everywhere in society...sport/school/public events.

Do you pay car insurance and then dont claim when you have an accident?

THIS is the reason why insurance/medical aid premiums etc are going through the roof.  People do not take any responsibility for themselves and always try to shift blame - or try to claim for accidents - that is in most cases only an accident.  We see it everywhere in society...sport/school/public events.

isnt that what insurance is for?? accidents?

Sorry to hear you crashed, its best to claim from your personal insurance. Go and have all your gear inspected as there may be cracks or broken bits you did not notice. 

I reckon you  could have a case if you can prove negligence. It will either be a very quick court case or a very long one

its because people dont stay left so that they can be passed on the right. because who are you to tell me where to ride/drive/cycle? you see this on K2C, on the freeways while driving, everywhere. I can walk where I want to... that is the problem.

the thing is....they'll pass you on the left even if there isnt a gap lol. i swear some people just see n 'a bike' and forget that the avarage mtb handlebar width these days are 760mm+ lol. At some stage i just plonked myself smack bang in the middle on the line since most people stayed in the left lane and the faster guys/ebikes passed in the right lane anyway. I only had one near miss when a roadie wheelsucking a mtb came steam rolling past on the left at simonstown and got a bit too close for comfort. All good though, nobody was a box about it...just laughed it off and carried on.

i dont have a massive issue with people passing on the left, not like some people...hell i was laughing at how many people got so triggered by it in front of me, throwing their arms in the air and shaking their heads, but not making a peep to voice there concerns. Speak up if you feel that way, nobody cares about your feelings.

As long as they give a quick glance to see if there is a gap, i'm fine with it....a few times even told them they could go for the gap or i'll make a gap for them. If you have been cycling all your life and been hit by the odd car or two...you start thinking for the people around you....thats how you spot a new cyclist in general imo lol.... But I think the avarage cyclist is spatially aware enough.  

i felt safe being passed on the left with a whole road gap between me and the gutter. I also always indicate after i look for and spot a gap...whether it is left or right, so you know where I am going.

the last time I did a road event was back with the Burger Sanlam, as a school laaitie. you were told to keep left and pass right, and if you didnt listen, you would be "assisted" towards the left - end of story, lesson learnt. even the entry form stated that riders should stay left and pass right IIRC.

fast forward 20 odd years and everything changed all of a sudden... K2C is the closest I will get to a mass participation event, dodging people leaning on their brakes down Wapad is enough to keep my heart healthy for one year.

the thing is....they'll pass you on the left even if there isnt a gap lol. i swear some people just see n 'a bike' and forget that the avarage mtb handlebar width these days are 760mm+ lol. At some stage i just plonked myself smack bang in the middle on the line since most people stayed in the left lane and the faster guys/ebikes passed in the right lane anyway. I only had one near miss when a roadie wheelsucking a mtb came steam rolling past on the left at simonstown and got a bit too close for comfort. All good though, nobody was a box about it...just laughed it off and carried on.

i dont have a massive issue with people passing on the left, not like some people...hell i was laughing at how many people got so triggered by it in front of me, throwing their arms in the air and shaking their heads, but not making a peep to voice there concerns. Speak up if you feel that way, nobody cares about your feelings.

As long as they give a quick glance to see if there is a gap, i'm fine with it....a few times even told them they could go for the gap or i'll make a gap for them. If you have been cycling all your life and been hit by the odd car or two...you start thinking for the people around you....thats how you spot a new cyclist in general imo lol.... But I think the avarage cyclist is spatially aware enough.  

i felt safe being passed on the left with a whole road gap between me and the gutter. I also always indicate after i look for and spot a gap...whether it is left or right, so you know where I am going.