The CTCT in under 3 hrs - By the numbers

braamverster

The data Andy posted illustrates nicely why a 4W/kg FTP is more of a guarantee of achieving sub 3 than 3.5 W/kg. Tactically a 3.5W/Kg FTP can get you there but you need great conditions and be able to read the race. The higher the FTP the bigger your margin of error.
also even though the climbs are short, they're steepish and therefore requires high 5 to 8min power. Chappies is the one that requires high 10 - 12min power output.
If you think about the climbs as your big matches you have 6 to burn
hospital
Edinburgh
smits
ocean View
chappies
Suikerbossie

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up, Braam. And well done  :clap:

To add some data, average power (from Garmin Vector pedals) on the climbs for me starting in @. I weigh 84 kg. In or near the front group over most except for dropping off just before the top of Chappies and Suikerbossie, but getting back on.

Edinburg Drive 1.7 km at 5% - 366 watts

Smitswinkel 1.6 km at 5% - 357 watts

Little Chappies 1.4 km at 4% - 356 watts

Chappies Main 1.7 km at 5% - 367 watts

Suikerbossie 1.9 km at 7% - 377 watts

Average power for the whole ride was only 186 watts! Shows how important intervals are!

Thanks, that is very useful. Would you mind including the length of time for each effort? 

Also interesting, the climbs dont really make or break the race. 

Here is the comparison between the front of & group and @ group. The time was not gained on the climbs, but into the headwind.

post-11806-0-01471400-1583915149_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the 'numbers' Braam and Andy. Realise its ballpark but it seems a FTP of about 3.2 w/kg and the ability to do about 20 min @ 4 w/kg will make a sub 3 very possible. Just keep out of the wind and don't fall over. This is encouraging, got the FTP sorted, 20m@4w/kg needs work....

Here is the comparison between the front of & group and @ group. The time was not gained on the climbs, but into the headwind.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-03-09 at 12.08.04.jpeg

What was the tactics in the headwind? You were quite a few savages together in the group.. did only you guys take turns upfront to put the hammer down? Kept rolling through? Or 2min efforts each or something like that? Did the rest of the bunch work together(I highly doubt this!)?

Edit: On our Sunday coffee rides I just take cover behind the tall frame of Kris Coetzee when the headwind picks up  :whistling:

Edited by JohanDiv

Thanks for the 'numbers' Braam and Andy. Realise its ballpark but it seems a FTP of about 3.2 w/kg and the ability to do about 20 min @ 4 w/kg will make a sub 3 very possible. Just keep out of the wind and don't fall over. This is encouraging, got the FTP sorted, 20m@4w/kg needs work....

Yes, i would say so (assuming good conditions, OK seeding etc), noting that the 20 min at 4W/KG is rather 4x5min or 5x4min with 5-8 min rest between them. If you can do 20min solid at 4W/kg, your FTP will be 3.8W/kg given that one way to test FTP is to ride at your max for 20 min and multiply by 0.95

What was the tactics in the headwind? You were quite a few savages together in the group.. did only you guys take turns upfront to put the hammer down? Kept rolling through? Or 2min efforts each or something like that? Did the rest of the bunch work together(I highly doubt this!)?

Edit: On our Sunday coffee rides I just take cover behind the tall frame of Kris Coetzee when the headwind picks up  :whistling:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! He is quite a large dude, and feckin strong!

Nice write up, Braam. And well done  :clap:

To add some data, average power (from Garmin Vector pedals) on the climbs for me starting in @. I weigh 84 kg. In or near the front group over most except for dropping off just before the top of Chappies and Suikerbossie, but getting back on.

Edinburg Drive 1.7 km at 5% - 366 watts

Smitswinkel 1.6 km at 5% - 357 watts

Little Chappies 1.4 km at 4% - 356 watts

Chappies Main 1.7 km at 5% - 367 watts

Suikerbossie 1.9 km at 7% - 377 watts

Average power for the whole ride was only 186 watts! Shows how important intervals are!

My numbers

86kg, I had 3:03 moving time, 3:08 total , I punctured at eddenB and went easy from there, knew sub3 is gone.

Quark Crank power meter

Eddenburg Drive: 359W

Smits: 281W (pushed a friend up, so it went a bit slower than normal)

Little Chappies: 248W

Chappies Main:  254W

Suikderbossie :  270W

Max 5 min power, 365w

Average: 210W , NP 237W 

So guess without puncture and sticking to start group would have gotten just under 3 hrs with same numbers, but as said, went easy after edden so who really knows

Edited by Karman de Lange

Yes, i would say so (assuming good conditions, OK seeding etc), noting that the 20 min at 4W/KG is rather 4x5min or 5x4min with 5-8 min rest between them. If you can do 20min solid at 4W/kg, your FTP will be 3.8W/kg given that one way to test FTP is to ride at your max for 20 min and multiply by 0.95

Yes, I wasn't very clear.

Ben went to the front and then everyone else got jealous and wanted a turn, there were about 14 of us in &. Probably burnt a few matches here and there but the 3 min made a big difference. Also, did not spot any crashes all day.

I think that's because the seeding does work at that level in terms of grouping people appropriately into populations. The fastest groups have more power everywhere and are using it more strategically

Thanks, that is very useful. Would you mind including the length of time for each effort? 

My segment data is from Strava. Times below at the end of each segment:

Edinburg Drive 1.7 km at 5% - 366 watts - 4:12

Smitswinkel 1.6 km at 5% - 357 watts - 4:01

Little Chappies 1.4 km at 4% - 356 watts - 2:57

Chappies Main 1.7 km at 5% - 367 watts - 4:22

Suikerbossie 1.9 km at 7% - 377 watts - 5:16

Man that explains why the front group of @ dropped me on Suikerbossie  :blush:

And why we could get on again as they sat up.

My segment data is from Strava. Times below at the end of each segment:

Edinburg Drive 1.7 km at 5% - 366 watts - 4:12

fwiw I did the segment in 4:16 from the back of the group. But when I crested there was a massive gap that I couldn't bridge. Only caught you again in Simonstown.

Amazing how small the margins can be between a k%^ and a great ride