The CTCT in under 3 hrs - By the numbers

braamverster

I remember last year there was some info put out that showed the comparison of the amount of rides under 3 hours, under 4 hours etc year vs year. Anyone seen anything like that for this years event? 

Conditions for this year appeared much better than last! Last years wind was hectic. 

The racetec website have all the data for all road races. Last year only 118 guys out of 23k got in under 3 hrs and they were all from the racing groups - no one from 1A even made it. This year 1075 out of 22k made it - including a crazy guy from 4F 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The racetec website have all the data for all road races. Last year only 118 guys out of 23k got in under 3 hrs and they were all from the racing groups - no one from 1A even made it. This year 1075 out of 22k made it - including a crazy guy from 4F

I was going to call bollocks on someone from 4F going that quick, but he does have his own Wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Ferrigato

Allegro

Thanks for the 'numbers' Braam and Andy. Realise its ballpark but it seems a FTP of about 3.2 w/kg and the ability to do about 20 min @ 4 w/kg will make a sub 3 very possible. Just keep out of the wind and don't fall over. This is encouraging, got the FTP sorted, 20m@4w/kg needs work....

More important is a good seeding and a willing bunch. I only did a 3:20 from 2C (only 1 person from that group got a sub 3)

I know it is not sub 3, but I am not a good measure, considering my Weight 105+kg and only 4 or so weeks training. I was expecting a 3:35 - 45 is ride. So the weather is most important, then the seeding, then Fitness, then wheel sucking ability (This I can do; the rest not so much)

Regarding the climbs, if you make sure you are at the front of the group starting the climb and you are fitish you should crest with the main bunch and then it is easy to close the gaps.

The data Andy posted illustrates nicely why a 4W/kg FTP is more of a guarantee of achieving sub 3 than 3.5 W/kg. Tactically a 3.5W/Kg FTP can get you there but you need great conditions and be able to read the race. The higher the FTP the bigger your margin of error.

also even though the climbs are short, they're steepish and therefore requires high 5 to 8min power. Chappies is the one that requires high 10 - 12min power output.

If you think about the climbs as your big matches you have 6 to burn

hospital

Edinburgh

smits

ocean View

chappies

Suikerbossie

Don't forget the Glen. Not steep or long, but the elastic can break there and if you loose your bunch there you are in serious dodo

fwiw I did the segment in 4:16 from the back of the group. But when I crested there was a massive gap that I couldn't bridge. Only caught you again in Simonstown.

Amazing how small the margins can be between a k%^ and a great ride 

That's crazy! Good example of why positioning is important. And to make sure you don't lose that group/line going over  :excl:

Don't forget the Glen. Not steep or long, but the elastic can break there and if you loose your bunch there you are in serious dodo

Stupid question, but where's the Glen?!

Right around Camps Bay High School, the Glen is ????????

Edited by 'Dale

Quite possibly that little bastard hill coming out of Camps Bay, that lines up with the bottom of The Glen.

Cramp has hit me there like gun shots on many occassions. LOL

Fortunately not this year. :)

Quite possibly that little bastard hill coming out of Camps Bay, that lines up with the bottom of The Glen. 

I was mistaken in the name. The Glen is the climb at Camps by High School. However what I was referring to is the short 4 to 5% bump of say 4 - 500m. past Glen Beach. Many a man has lost a sub 3 there by losing his/her/it's bunch here. 

Edited by TDFN

Think its a tour not a race. Otherwise it makes good sense. 

We drove the pace down the M3 and into Ocean View, in those KM, mostly the headwind, we took almost 4 min out of the @ group ahead of us. Someone has to do the work at some point :P

You savages are more machine than human though! 

:clap: