Who of you are thinking about buying a gravel bike?

FloatingPivot

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... how many of you are running Shimano GRX? Any reviews or comments?

I'm running GRX 810 derailleurs, crank and 105 shifters (grx shifters were way too expensive). My gearing is 2 x11, 48/31 crank and 11-32 cassette. So far i'm loving it.

A 100km shortcut between Laingsburg and Ladismith is reason enough - the added challenge of no suspension just adds to the excitement.  Did learn quickly that your rear mech must have a clutch or smooth gear shifts are not possible 

Looks very cool

I don't believe I am familiar with that pass

I have the 1 x 11  Rival 1  with Apex shifters combo

42 front and 11 - 42 in the back

Love it!    When time comes to replace the chainwheel I will definitely put a 44 on it and ...

If I ever get to the point of getting a second wheelset then I might consider an XD hub with 10-42 which will complement the setup on the down and straights.

Can't fault the setup - with already 3800 km's on it and going smooth and strong.

So what decent bars are available...

Curve make some - personally just switched to some really wide ones and love them

So many hand positions

Edited by Waynemol

Curve make some - personally just switched to some really wide ones and love them

So many hand positions

What did you switch to?

My gravel bike on my way to the start of the CTCT on Sunday . Maxxis Ramblers 43's on , was considering buying a set of 35/38C road tyres but did not want to spend that for one tar event per year . Had a fantastic ride , nice gearing for and old man , good grip , hydraulic discs and no worries about punctures . On our dirt roads I sometimes long for a shock and I have a Lauff on the shelf but that will spoil a beautiful bike ?

OMG. Dream bike material.If it was the bike alone I would have had a wank. But would feel creepy with you looming back at me. Maybe forward me a pick of the bike alone?

What did you switch to?

Curve bars 500 - wider than that at the drops - when you ride on the hoods, because of the flare, your wrist is completely straight which helps in terms of comfort

You are not the only one

Also not a fan - especially on our super fast Lynskeys (nudge nudge) - so found the Salsa Cowbell 440mm is a healthy compromise - enough flair to allow for my handlebar bag but still fits in with the morning roadie group 

Haven’t tried the wider bars ( don’t personally like the look of them ) so cant say. But have the same itm bars as on my road bike. I like the hand cut out on the bars. Never considered going wider really.

I ride with Spez AWOL handlebars. Only 12 degs of flare so quite road-like but with a bit of extra width. Sitting in the drops is actually quite comfy.

Hi Dylan, thanks for the shout-out.  Looking forward to get you riding on your CALCULUS asap. 

Nice and racy geometry on this project for a gravel.

I bought myself a gravel bike and then subsequently started selling my other bikes. The only bike I have left other than the gravel bike is my MTB which I am also planning on selling. In my opinion a gravel bike is the only bike you need. When you ride on the road you are a bit slower but you have the option to hop onto the gravel shoulder which is super fun. It is definitely not as capable on the technical stuff as a MTB, but that's part of the fun. On actual gravel it's amazing, you can really put the hammer down like you do on a road bike, but you are out there somewhere rather than on the roads.

I recently contacted the guys at Calculus Bikes ( http://calculus-bikes.com/ )  who are putting a gravel frame together for me. So I will move my components over from my current gravel bike onto their custom geometry frame. I'm really excited. I had the option to make it more on the aggressive side, super relaxed or anywhere in between. I went for a fitment where we played around with my position until it felt perfect. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I'm eager to see how it fares on bike packing and gravel touring missions.

I attached an image of their design, for interests sake.

post-27202-0-13947600-1583913236.jpg