Gravel Bike on tar

Shaunpr

So I am curious about Gravel bikes, can you set the bike up that you can hang with the regular road bikes on out rides on both the hills and flats?

So I am curious about Gravel bikes, can you set the bike up that you can hang with the regular road bikes on out rides on both the hills and flats?

There were a few in the 1 groups on Sunday that were keeping up pretty easily.

There's some chance you'll be faster. Gravel bikes are great for those of us who don't have the core strength for a more traditional road bike position (low handles/high saddle)

You can hang with anything, if you have enough power and fitness. 

But yes, you can. You may be burning a few more watts than them, if they're the same mass as you are, but you'll be able to hang with them. 

It also depends on the gearing that bike has. My gearing is favourable and I can comfortably sit at around 45kph in a bunch, but if the pace picks up on the downhill bits I'm in trouble.

Are you hanging with a bunch of Cat 5s or Peter Sagan?

Jokes aside, it depends on your group, and your confidence with keeping up, but I can assure you it comes down to tyre choice. Thinn(er) tyres will help. And suck wheel like a champ.

Last year was my 10th 94.7 and I decided to do it on my gravel bike ( Momsen R355). I really enjoyed the comfortable ride compared to my old school Bianchi, and finished in the usual 3:20 something.......