Commute to work with no showers?

Hello Ruan

I was pondering this dilemma a while back before we had showers at work. Was looking at those camping showers with the self contained water catcher and hang up bag. May be worth looking into for some.

Prize no.1 is to find a shower. If your office doesn't have, talk to other companies, gyms etc like Hairy suggested. If you are in a big building, they often have a shower or 2 hidden somewhere in the basement for security or cleaning people. Often those are unused by anyone. 

2nd prize is a hand basin in a place that can lock and give privacy. Disabled toilets often work well and most companies won't mind if you use it for a "bath in a basin" trick. The disabled facilities are often a legal requirement in a biggish building, but are not used much and you won't cause any inconvenience.

3rd prize is any toilet / room you can lock / close for a wet towel wipe down.

As already mentioned, it is essential to cool down (stop sweating) before you clean up. Mostly it takes no more than 10 minutes, just a nice relaxed cup of coffee.

The last line is very important.  I used to commute 36 km to Munich one way.  In summer especially I would build up quite a sweat.  I was in the office normally quite early.  So I would get in the office and fire up the laptop and start my day by doing some admin, checking mails, etc.  Then I would go to the toilette and could use one of cubicles that could lock and wiped myself with baby wipes.  Initially I was sceptical but it worked well. Wash the face in the basin and some underarm stick and I had no issues.  Did that for close to 3 years. Kinda miss my commutes.

Just go to work stinky and sweaty Pal. Its your collegues problem , not yours.

Should've started that reply with "as an intellectual..."

Just ask around at the neighbouring buildings. You will either find a building with a shower in that you could hopefully arrange to shower at, or find some or other small gym.

In winter the shower will be a life line of note to get your body temp back up again.

When working for Unisa years ago I used the gym of the campus next door. Few times waited for the water to get warm just to realise it's holiday. No students on campus = all geysers off. There were a few cold mornings.

Edited by cat-i

What about motivating the company installs a shower?

Worth a shot....has worked before

Managed this with an office I was with before.

When I got the brief (1st brief) it was to find a small space and spend as little money as possible.

Did the above, but also found a larger space in the building for the same amount of rental ....

Enter Brief 2.0 ... make it nice and we can then also turn it into a dedicated toilet for the office.

Present, and then get handed Brief 2.1 .... make it really really nice, use products we specify on our projects. So I do what I really thought to be a flipping awesome bathroom with suppliers that came to the party with extremely low costs. That shower was so bit I could get 4-6 people to shower in it if I wanted to.

Bottom line, I got a shower.

If you have a protein shake then the smell of farts will far out muscle the BO from the ride, problem solved.