Shimano 1x12 XT Groupset problems?

Warren Pieterse

I want to know if anyone else has got any problems with this setup?  

I fitted the setup but the hub has been giving issues from day one on.  Second hub and still issues. 

Terrible noise coming from the hub when pedaling hard. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Warren

If you can expand on your problem:

What wheel set is it?

What hub are you using?

Is the second hub the same as the first?

Are you installing it yourself?

Hi Warren

If you can expand on your problem:

What wheel set is it?

What hub are you using?

Is the second hub the same as the first?

Are you installing it yourself?

I have changed my setup from a 2 x 10 to a 1 x 12 Shimano XT M8100 groupset.  It is the Shimano XT hub that comes with the groupset.  Both hubs are the same.  No I am not installing it myself, because the wheel has to be rebuild.  It was done by a cycling shop.  

Stans Crest MK3 wheelset.

Wht is the terrble nose when pedalling hard?

What bike is the groupset installed on?

Can you maybe post some pics and a video so that we can see whats going on and hear the sound? I understand this may take a day or to to set up asyou will need to set up a mini cam at the cassette.

Are you using the recommended XT8100 chain?

I have a Shimano 1x12 setup with the FH-MT500 hub which is the entry level microspline hub. I have the XT shifter and rear derailleur. Then running the SLX chain and cassette.

My setup has been running smooth for the past 1300km. That with the 2019 Karoo to coast which was in horrid conditions, rain wind and fine grime that got in everywhere.

Changed the shifting cable after 1000km but more than that haven't done anything.

I have really been punishing it max power shifts up climbs and in sprints and the shifting performance has been sublime.

I can’t vouch for the XT rear hub of yours but my cheap entry level microspline hub has been taking series hits and it’s still running like new

My 8100 on Spark 910 running flawlessly. Hubs are OEM DT Swiss though (I think). Freebody has a Chris King sound to it. So it’s loud, but lekker.

I have a Shimano 1x12 setup with the FH-MT500 hub which is the entry level microspline hub. I have the XT shifter and rear derailleur. Then running the SLX chain and cassette.

My setup has been running smooth for the past 1300km. That with the 2019 Karoo to coast which was in horrid conditions, rain wind and fine grime that got in everywhere.

Changed the shifting cable after 1000km but more than that haven't done anything.

I have really been punishing it max power shifts up climbs and in sprints and the shifting performance has been sublime.

I can’t vouch for the XT rear hub of yours but my cheap entry level microspline hub has been taking series hits and it’s still running like new

Japster  :clap:

• 2 months later...

Jasper, where did you buy your hub?

I have 12spd XT on my Scalpel and 12spd SLX on my wife's Stumpjumper.

We both ride 34 oval up front.

We both moved from XT 1x11 and the difference is unbelievable.

The shifting is super smooth in both directions. 

Must admit the SLX is also pretty good but the XT just a tad better.

Loving 12 Speed!

No issues here - but swapped out from xD to Microspline on Hope PRO4 rear hub.  7 months and no issues.

Thx guys, found out that xt hub is faulty. 2nd one and started again. Apparently it is a shimano factory fault. Now I have to change to a different make hub that will work with the shimano 1x12 cassette.

Thx guys, found out that xt hub is faulty. 2nd one and started again. Apparently it is a shimano factory fault. Now I have to change to a different make hub that will work with the shimano 1x12 cassette.

Glad you found the problem and have a solution - let us know which hub you decide to use

Go for a hope pro4, it's one of the most bombproof hubs out there (of not the most)

Microspline freehub available readily

Yes this is popping up globally. Also an issue with the XTR shifter stripping its ratchet. I guess all will be fixed on the fly.