Shimano 1x12 XT Groupset problems?

Warren Pieterse

Might not be manufactured locally but the company is based in Cape Town. 

Excellent service and support for their product. 

Bought my wheels and cranks from them. Feels good to help put food on the table of a small local business.

for sure, I have quite a few of their products. Great value products and their droppers are almost a no brainer over any other option for 90% of the MTB population.

The wheelsets have only received great reviews and my LBS mechanic rates them highly as budget wheels.

however I would not put the hubs in the same category as Hope Pro 4, DT Swiss 350 (an industry standard). It wil take some time to prove its worth to compete with those.

Hubs, Bottom Brackets, headsets, pedals, anything with a bearing in it isn't an area where I'm looking to save a few bob. I'd forego kashima coat long before I buy a cheap hub unless I absolutely have to.

I have no issues with Lyne hubs, I just can't recommend it as its not been around long enough to advise someone to spend their hard earned money on it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know if anyone else has got any problems with this setup?  

I fitted the setup but the hub has been giving issues from day one on.  Second hub and still issues. 

Terrible noise coming from the hub when pedaling hard. 

Hello Warren, has your problem with the noise still not returned? I have the same problem and now with the second hub.

Hello Warren, has your problem with the noise still not returned? I have the same problem and now with the second hub.

What does the bike shops say is the problem?

Why was the hub replaced?

for sure, I have quite a few of their products. Great value products and their droppers are almost a no brainer over any other option for 90% of the MTB population.

The wheelsets have only received great reviews and my LBS mechanic rates them highly as budget wheels.

however I would not put the hubs in the same category as Hope Pro 4, DT Swiss 350 (an industry standard). It wil take some time to prove its worth to compete with those.

Hubs, Bottom Brackets, headsets, pedals, anything with a bearing in it isn't an area where I'm looking to save a few bob. I'd forego kashima coat long before I buy a cheap hub unless I absolutely have to.

I have no issues with Lyne hubs, I just can't recommend it as its not been around long enough to advise someone to spend their hard earned money on it.

They're not shite tho. They're Chosen hubs, and exactly the same spec as Stans 3.30 hubs, as far as I know...

So while they may not be proven with the Lyne branding on them, they're proven a long time ago throughout. Sure, still not Hope, but not exactly "Chinese crap"

What does the bike shops say is the problem?

Why was the hub replaced?

We bought two bikes in April where both hubs started to make an awful lot of noise after a month of intensive use, in the mean time new wheels have been placed in both bikes which also start to produce noise!

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted the setup but the hub has been giving issues from day one on.  Second hub and still issues. 

Running the new SLX on my Rapide wheelset. Bought the wheelset with the standard Shimano freehub earlier in the year and upgraded to their microspline freehub when I decided to upgrade my drivetrain to the new SLX. Thus far it hasn’t given me any problems (touch wood). Very reasonably priced to boot. 34 oval up front with the 10/51 at the back really works well for my ability (Merida Big Nine HT)

With regards to Shimano 12 speed, does anyone know where to find one of the 12-speed Shimano crankset lockring tools locally?

TL-FC41

post-133-0-19747000-1600163385_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zaskar

Also check with Evobikes. They do stock some Shimano tools, so they should be able to get this for you.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product-category/accessories/tools-maintenance/?swoof=1&pa_manufacturer=shimano&really_curr_tax=407-product_cat

They obviously too busy building the new website. Ive now been waiting 2 weeks for a reply to a mail I sent them about 12sp XTR shifter...

Edited by Zaskar

With regards to Shimano 12 speed, does anyone know where to find one of the 12-speed Shimano crankset lockring tools locally?

TL-FC41

I may have a spare one floating around. Will check and drop you a PM later.

• 2 months later...

Same hoops, same problem. Shimao distributors saying not their problem. Ditching them for alternative hubs. 

I know of a few very vocal pro Shimano folks who have had to replace a couple of hubs already on their own bikes and customers. Not good from Shimano. Hubs are what they built their reputation on but they've been pushing retrogressive quality designs into the market. 

Coolheat, well ja enough said.